It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Aygestin for perimenopausal symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User
    Aygestin for perimenopausal symptoms

I'm a bit confused after coming from the ob/gyn. This is my second time seeing this doctor and he has taken me off bcp because of my elevated blood pressure, maybe increased glucose levels, and has prescribed Aygestin instead.

Had anyone every used Aygestin for perimenopausal symptoms? This ob/gyn said that it will help with mood swings, irritability, labor pain cramps and other symptoms.

Have any of you ladies ever taken Aygestin or heard of it being used for peri?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
    lorbis
    (female)

lorbis HB User
    Re: Aygestin for perimenopausal symptoms

I took Aygestin for several months last fall and winter. My doctor was concerned because my periods were so close together. I had and still do, low progesterone levels, and while I didn't complain of any perimenopause symptoms at that time, I think it did help me. I took it from October until March, and then I switched to low dose birth control pills to treat an ovarian cyst. When the cyst dissolved, I went off all forms of hormones-I got my period in May, and then in June, all hell broke loose! I began a series of panic attacks and anxiety that wasn't really present while I was taking the aygestin/bcp. My doctor recommended that I go back on bcp, which I did this month, and I'm happy to report that I'm feeling better.

I do think the aygestin helped me, but I just didn't realize it at the time. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it caused me to feel very bloated.

It's worth a try though.

Laurie

Old 08-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
    lorbis
    (female)

lorbis HB User

I just reread your original post, and I missed what you said about your "labor pain cramps". I do remember that in the first month that I was taking Aygestin, I got cramps so bad with my period that I felt like I was in labor! Pretty intense! However, it only happened the first month, and then all was well.

Laurie

Old 08-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lorbis
    I just reread your original post, and I missed what you said about your "labor pain cramps". I do remember that in the first month that I was taking Aygestin, I got cramps so bad with my period that I felt like I was in labor! Pretty intense! However, it only happened the first month, and then all was well.

Laurie
    Laurie, thank you for the information and words of encouragement. For some reason so far your post is the only positive one that I've read about Aygestin. I may have read one years ago from someone at another site, but I'm not sure if she used Aygestin.

I haven't started Aygestin yet because I'm curious to see if my period starts this month. My doctor mentioned that I might or might not have a real period after taking bcp for over a year. We really don't know where I am hormonally. Of course you know that I hope to never see another period and that I'll begin to feel wonderful in the "world" of postmenopausal .

Last edited by Hopefully; 08-19-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
    lorbis
    (female)

lorbis HB User

I think I was put on Aygestin because we had first tried Prometrium and it wasn't strong enough or something like that-I don't remember. All I remember is that I had a lot of breakthrough bleeding with the Prometrium, so that is why the doctor switched me to Aygestin.

Personally, I don't like taking anything, but I am embracing the birth control pills I just started again-I've never been so happy to take a hormone pill as I am now! I feel much better than I was feeling at the beginning of the summer!

Hopefully, you will feel well, too.

Laurie

Old 08-20-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lorbis
    I think I was put on Aygestin because we had first tried Prometrium and it wasn't strong enough or something like that-I don't remember. All I remember is that I had a lot of breakthrough bleeding with the Prometrium, so that is why the doctor switched me to Aygestin.

Personally, I don't like taking anything, but I am embracing the birth control pills I just started again-I've never been so happy to take a hormone pill as I am now! I feel much better than I was feeling at the beginning of the summer!

Hopefully, you will feel well, too.

Laurie
    Laurie, reading your post put a smile on my face , because like yourself I did not want to take anything when these symptoms started, but when things got really nasty I quickly popped those hormone pills. They had become such a important part of my life enabling me to function from day to day.

When the ob/gyn recently told me that she would not prescribe anymore bcp because my blood pressure was elevated I panicked. Well, I'm blessed because it has now been 17 days since my last birth control pill and I'm making it one day at a time. One thing that the bcp helped me with a lot was that spacey, dizzy, lightheaded, blah feeling. Since I've stopped taking bcp I feel about the same as when I was taking them...I think this must mean that I'm approaching the end of this peri. rollercoaster ride ...Please someone let me off!!!

Anyway, I still haven't taken the Aygestin because I'm still trying to see what my body will do over the next two weeks. It's my prayer that my period will not start and I'll begin the countdown to menopause. If I do have a period then I'll take the Aygestin.

Thanks again for your help.

Closed Thread