It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Question on Xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
    alwaysaworrier
    (female)

alwaysaworrier HB User
    Question on Xanax

I have read in many posts that some of you take xanax when you need it. Can you tell me what xanax is. I will be taking a long flight in about two weeks time and a friend has said I should ask the doc for xanax in case I might need it as I am a nervous flyer.
    Even today I feel I need something. It has been a horrible day for me, my heart seems to the racing all the time, feel dizzy and lightheaded with the feeling that I might faint. I was out last night and had 4/5 drinks whether that has anything to do with it or not? It's a horrible feeling. Is this anxiety I wonder or is it bp. I am on meds for bp and was with my doc the other day and it was 140/90 but I was so nervous in case it was sky high.
    I got my periord about ten days ago after 57 days and you know since I got it I haven't felt the best - not all the time but most of it. This peri thing stinks.

I would be grateful for info on the xanx and if it would be good to take on the flight? The other thing is can you have a drink if you use it? I'm not much of a drinker but have an occasional one while on holiday?

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User
    Re: Question on Xanax

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alwaysaworrier
    I have read in many posts that some of you take xanax when you need it. Can you tell me what xanax is. I will be taking a long flight in about two weeks time and a friend has said I should ask the doc for xanax in case I might need it as I am a nervous flyer.
    Even today I feel I need something. It has been a horrible day for me, my heart seems to the racing all the time, feel dizzy and lightheaded with the feeling that I might faint. I was out last night and had 4/5 drinks whether that has anything to do with it or not? It's a horrible feeling. Is this anxiety I wonder or is it bp. I am on meds for bp and was with my doc the other day and it was 140/90 but I was so nervous in case it was sky high.
    I got my periord about ten days ago after 57 days and you know since I got it I haven't felt the best - not all the time but most of it. This peri thing stinks.

I would be grateful for info on the xanx and if it would be good to take on the flight? The other thing is can you have a drink if you use it? I'm not much of a drinker but have an occasional one while on holiday?

Maggie
    xanax is an anti anxiety drug one of the best in my eyes.Works really fast.Though it does have its downfall ..If taken regularly it can be addictive, but just to use every once and awhile hey its great...For the drinking part...Make sure you space it out..You dont want to pop one then turn around and have a drink you'll be knocked out for sure...

Old 09-19-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
    alwaysaworrier
    (female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Thank you soooooo much for your reply. It's great to hear it's one of the best. I am going to ask my doc about getting just a couple for the trip. I don't want to become dependent on them. I may not even use it if I can manage without. As for the drinking..........I will be careful.....don't really drink that much but was just curious in case I was going to have one.
    Thanks again

If it wasn't anxiety you were suffering would it do you any harm if you took it. Sometimes I just don't know whats wrong with me

Last edited by alwaysaworrier; 09-19-2005 at 02:23 PM.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

I am a nervous flyer also. I was first prescribed xanax for that before I was given it for perimenopause. It does take the edge off when flying and I agree with the other poster. I know I have read that it is something one can be dependent on taken regularly but I have taken it as I said twice a year when we fly for about 4 years before it was prescribed for peri and I did not feel the need that i wanted to take it any other time.

Now when I started with anxiety due to peri last year it was prescribed for me and I was hesitant to take it for that as I had only taken it as I said 2 times a year when we fly. The anxiety you are describing separate from the flight anticipation sounds like peri to me as anxiety is a big symptom. It is the one thing that has stayed with me the most on and off. And I have taken the xanax as prescribed, when I need to. Even when I was at the height of anxiety last year and took it more often I did not get dependent on it and this year have only taken it a few times.

As the other poster said, concerning drinking, I know what you mean...I am not a big drinker either but I too had the same question about it. I have had one spaced out as the other poster said when taking it. It makes you pretty drowsy so you don't want to take it anywhere near when you take the xanax.

I hope this helps. Your post sounded just like me as I felt the same way about flying (still do!!) and the xanax does help. It also helps with the peri anxiety although of course needs to be taken just as needed and not routine.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care.

rmc

Last edited by rmc12; 09-19-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:22 AM   #5
    alwaysaworrier
    (female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmc12
    Hi,

I am a nervous flyer also. I was first prescribed xanax for that before I was given it for perimenopause. It does take the edge off when flying and I agree with the other poster. I know I have read that it is something one can be dependent on taken regularly but I have taken it as I said twice a year when we fly for about 4 years before it was prescribed for peri and I did not feel the need that i wanted to take it any other time.

Now when I started with anxiety due to peri last year it was prescribed for me and I was hesitant to take it for that as I had only taken it as I said 2 times a year when we fly. The anxiety you are describing separate from the flight anticipation sounds like peri to me as anxiety is a big symptom. It is the one thing that has stayed with me the most on and off. And I have taken the xanax as prescribed, when I need to. Even when I was at the height of anxiety last year and took it more often I did not get dependent on it and this year have only taken it a few times.

As the other poster said, concerning drinking, I know what you mean...I am not a big drinker either but I too had the same question about it. I have had one spaced out as the other poster said when taking it. It makes you pretty drowsy so you don't want to take it anywhere near when you take the xanax.

I hope this helps. Your post sounded just like me as I felt the same way about flying (still do!!) and the xanax does help. It also helps with the peri anxiety although of course needs to be taken just as needed and not routine.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care.

rmc
    rmc - thank you so much for info. Just want to ask you when you're flying do you take it while flying or before you get on the plane. How long should it work for if I take one? Thanks again for your reply. I have read many of your posts and realize you also suffer from peri-anxiety. Hope you're doing well these days.
    Maggie

Old 09-20-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
    rmc - thank you so much for info. Just want to ask you when you're flying do you take it while flying or before you get on the plane. How long should it work for if I take one? Thanks again for your reply. I have read many of your posts and realize you also suffer from peri-anxiety. Hope you're doing well these days.
    Maggie
    If it were me..I would let it melt under the tongue 30 min before flying. You get a faster hit or just take it the old fashion way and give it an hr to settle everything down .. ...Did they give you a .5?

Old 09-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Maggie,

You asked how long I take the xanax before I get on the plane. I usually take it a half hour to an hour before. It really does work rather quickly. As far as how long it lasts... to give you an idea...I take a flight at Christmas time from the West Coast to NY State. We change plans in Chicago. I take it for that first leg of the journey and I have to say before the next leg it really has worn off. I think I could take another but have not ever done that, so ask your doctor about that as far as how often you can take it if it is a real long flight. I am going to do that too as really a lot of the time I feel it would be nice if I could take one for that next flight.

Yes I do have peri anxiety and that has been one of the biggest symptoms for me. It is better than last year certainly. WIsh it was gone completely but I feel I have made some progress with it but it depends on where I am in this roller coaster ride of hormonal imbalance!! LOL!! It helps to know that so many others have this symptom too.

When is your trip? Hope you have a good one, try to relax and just enjoy, I know it is easier said than done. But focus on the vacation part of it (I am assuming it is a good thing like a vacation and hope it is!!)

Take care,

rmc

Old 09-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
    alwaysaworrier
    (female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Thank you both for your help with the Xanax. Spoke with my doc today and yes she will give me some. I may be fine but I just feel safer having it. Its really because of this peri anxiety that I am worried. One time flying never bothered me! My trip is in two weeks time and I am really looking forward to the vacation and just hope and pray that I will be feeling at least reasonable. It's awful not knowing how you will feel from day to day but I am just hoping that I won't have too much time to dwell on how I'm feeling and maybe I will be lucky. I find that sometimes when I'm with people that I forget about it and feel ok........other times blah. I'm away with work for the next few days as well.
    Again thank you both.
    Maggie

Old 09-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
    seekingnormal05

seekingnormal05 HB User

Quote:
    Thank you both for your help with the Xanax. Spoke with my doc today and yes she will give me some. I may be fine but I just feel safer having it. Its really because of this peri anxiety that I am worried. One time flying never bothered me! My trip is in two weeks time and I am really looking forward to the vacation and just hope and pray that I will be feeling at least reasonable. It's awful not knowing how you will feel from day to day but I am just hoping that I won't have too much time to dwell on how I'm feeling and maybe I will be lucky. I find that sometimes when I'm with people that I forget about it and feel ok........other times blah. I'm away with work for the next few days as well.
    Again thank you both.
    Maggie

Maggie:

Just to add my 2 cents.

Xanax is nothing to fear. I've read people who are terrified of the drug because it does have addiction issues. However, for the type of use we are talking about here, it's excellent. And, quite frankly, it's what it's meant for.

I also get very antsy when flying. Last year when I went to Brussel Belgium the entire trip, including a layover, was about 11 hours. My doctor prescribed .5 mg and I took 1/2 before the first flight and the other 1/2 about 1/2 way across the ocean. None on the way back.

My strongest suggestion is to try a dose BEFORE you travel. That way you will know how your body handles it and, as odd as this may sound, you will relieve the "anxiety" of trying an anti-anxiety med. Espeically if you are already having stressed times, pick an evening when you are going to be at home and try it.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Maggie,

I was just reading what seekingnormal wrote and I agree too. I did just that the first time I took it. Took it a couple days before in the evening at home. I did this as I was having anxiety about taking it and it did relieve how I was feeilng as one then knows what to expect.

so don't be afraid to try it if you need to.

Take care,

rmc

Old 09-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:

Maggie
    I just got back from a long trip. I needed it and took it. I was a mess before I left too, about a week before I left i was full of anxiety. I didnt' take the xanax until the day i traveled. I used it hours before I got on the plane to ease the edge. On the way home, I had to take it on the plane. Xanax is an anti-anxiety drug.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #12
    cooter1204
    (female)

cooter1204 HB User

I going to have to disagree a little with the other posters. I was prescribed Xanax about 10 years and took it every day for probably 7 or 8 years. Then when I felt I didn't have that much of a problem with the anxiety anymore, I just weaned myself off. Like, one every other day , then one every 2 days, etc. I didn't have any problem at all getting off of it. I think the "addiction" part really depends on the person (you know, whether or not they have a lot of trouble being addicted to things in general) Some people just make up their mind that their not going to be addicted to something and they're O.K. That's what I do. And another thing about Xanax... if you take one, it's NOT just going to knock you out! Yes, it does relax you. And having a drink after you take one shouldn't send you to the emergency room! It never did me. As far as when you fly, take one about 20 minutes before getting on the plane (10minutes if you stick it under your tongue...works much faster). And that should last you for about 4 hours. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:33 AM   #13
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cooter1204
    I going to have to disagree a little with the other posters. I was prescribed Xanax about 10 years and took it every day for probably 7 or 8 years. Then when I felt I didn't have that much of a problem with the anxiety anymore, I just weaned myself off. Like, one every other day , then one every 2 days, etc. I didn't have any problem at all getting off of it. I think the "addiction" part really depends on the person (you know, whether or not they have a lot of trouble being addicted to things in general) Some people just make up their mind that their not going to be addicted to something and they're O.K. That's what I do. And another thing about Xanax... if you take one, it's NOT just going to knock you out! Yes, it does relax you. And having a drink after you take one shouldn't send you to the emergency room! It never did me. As far as when you fly, take one about 20 minutes before getting on the plane (10minutes if you stick it under your tongue...works much faster). And that should last you for about 4 hours. Good luck.
    If someone were not use to taking xanax , yes if they were to take a pill and then turn around and have a drink afterwards..It would in fact increase the
    drowsiness effect and you will sleep or either give you a major high feeling ..thats why I made the comment space it out...

Old 09-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

Hi maggie:

Xanax has been a lifesaver for my anxiety issues. I've taken it as needed for about a year now and don't think I'll ever get addicted to it the way I take it. I take it for extreme anxiety, like panic attacks or sometimes when I'm obsessively worrying over something. I'm in perimenopause too and it just seems like anxiety is worsening as I age. I take half a pill (my pills are .5 mg so half is .25) under my tongue if I get a panic attack. It works really quick. If I'm going to fly or do something that cause me extreme anxiety, I'll take half a pill about half an hour before the event. If that isn't strong enough, I'll take the other half. I don't like the sleepy side effect, so half if perfect for me. If you are flying, you might want to sleep anyway so you could take the whole thing.

As for drinking alcohol, I wouldn't drink alcohol for at least four hours after taking Xanax if I were you. I've done it and I couldn't do anything but lay down. On a low dose of Xanax alone, you can function without being sleepy, but you are relaxed.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
    Gaitsofgold

Gaitsofgold HB User

Maggie - Xanax works differently for different people. For some, one dose may last 6 hours or more. But for most, 3-4 hours is average. Its not normally a long-acting drug. I have peri-anxiety too, and its been going on for nearly 10 years. I turned 50 this year, and am still having regular periods. Hot flashes have just started the last few years. I take Xanax as needed for severe anxiety, and what the others said is true - for occasional use (sometimes daily at first until you are stabilized) is a real lifesaver for me. It works super fast (takes about half an hour to start working) and you can think more clearly after taking it if you are really anxious, because it helps to take away the fear stimulus in your brain. Unless taken two or three times a day for a long period of time (more than a few weeks) most people will not get physically dependent on it. Hope this helps.

Randi

Closed Thread