It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Perimenopause???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
    Perimenopause???

I'm 37yrs old, and for awhile I've been experiencing many of the symptoms you all have in your posts. I also have an anxiety disorder & Fibro. I'm just wondering IF the symptoms are now perimenopause.

When I just start drifting off to sleep my body wakes up quickly like to say hey wake up or you'll die ( that is how it feels to me).

Also I have strange heart sensations when I lay down to go to sleep, like my heart stops and starts again and it is really quick and that scares the crap out of me...lol I did have an echocardiogram and my heart is fine. I am on Xanax and I take it before bed I don't get these feelings. BUT Xanax is for a short use only, and Ive been on Paxil and hate it.

I also have the off balance feeling when I walk, feeling like I'm going to fall to one side, also when I'm sitting down this will happen. My periods are really irregular now, one time a week late, next on time, then a week early!!!
    Many pains and aches, difficulties concentrating and I'm forgetful!!!

Does anyone think this is perimenopause??? Is there a test to see if this is my problem?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User
    Re: Perimenopause???

Hello Hope. If you've had other possibilities ruled out, like thyroid, then it's probably perimenopause. Have you spoken with an ob/gyn?

I've had all the symptoms you mentions and a matter of fact I'm going through the off balanced leaning to the side feeling plus anxiety. Today was the first day in quite awhile that I did not wake up feeling shaky and I felt pretty good all day. The off balance feeling is still with me with varied intensity all day.

Are you still on Paxil? I know that we are all unique and it's definitely not one pill fit all when dealing with perimenopause/menopause, but there are a couple of women here who found relief from all these symptoms by taking Paxil. I can not tolerate Paxil or many of the SSRI class of antidepressants so I'm taking Wellbutrin XL.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Hopefully,

No, I didn't take Paxil for long I couldn't tolerate it either, I'm just on Xanax.
    I went to my general Dr, because I just assumed its my anxiety....I've had it for a long time. And it will act up when it wants..lol

I just started reading up on perimenopause because I'm moving into that age group! I just thought it was a strange coincidence that I have most of the same symptoms as all of you.

I haven't gone to an OBGYN, will they be able to differentiate between anxiety and perimenopause?

Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Hello Hope!

You would think that doctors could differentiate between anxiety disorder and the onset of perimenopause, but I'm a living witness that this is not always the case. Also, with perimenopause comes a lot of anxiety issues. That is why many doctors base their diagnosis upon your symptoms, after ruling out other possibilities. With my experience it seems that once you tell them that you have hot flashes and night sweats they quickly say that you're dealing with hormonal issues.

When I started having severe symptoms in 2002 I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. It wasn't until I did some research and found this site and several others that I basically diagnosed myself based upon the common symptoms that I was experiencing along with many other women who had posted. This was after two years of going to many doctors, taking many tests, and just not knowing what was going on despite all my test results stating that I was very healthy. As many other women have attested during this time you begin to think that you have some horrible illness that the doctors just can not diagnose.

Once I realized that I was perimenopausal I basically told the doctors what I suspected and some agreed and some did not. Believe it or not there are doctors out there who do not believe there is such a thing as perimenopause. My ob/gyn at that time, a female doctor, told me for two years that I was just experiencing pmdd (severe pms).

Thank God for the doctors that are knowledgeable and continue to keep up with the constant changes within their profession.

Last edited by Hopefully; 10-14-2005 at 07:39 AM.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Again,

I have had all the blood work, echcocardiograms. The only symptoms I do not have are Hot flashes and night sweats (thankgod!).

As for PMS, I know I'm not having that all month long..lol, I get PMS 1 week to a few days before I start.

I have heard that Perimenopause can start as early as your 30's and I'm 37. Dr's sometimes don't have a clue, nor do they want one. They only have 5min to diagnose you. I always remind myself, not all dr's made straight A's, some just barely pass!!!! They should have to post their grades on their office door!!! lol

Old 10-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
    kloet
    (female)

kloet HB User

I am 36 and have had all the thyroid tests and everything is normal. I asked my doc. of I could be perimenopausal and he said no. But I think that I am. I have all the symptoms you have talked about and I also sometimes get a very hot feeling just from the neck up. Not to often though. My doc has put me on low dose BCP's and I do not like them. For the last week and a half my chest has been sore, checked by doc. and just claims inflammation of cartilage. I just don't know where to go from here. I am tired of feeling like crap and just want to be alittle like my old self again. Any advice or information would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks and God Bless.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Unfortunately I cannot take BCP's like I said im 37 and I smoke!!! I use to use them in my late teens due to horrific cycles but after the birth of my first child I finally read the warnings and never took them again. They worked beautifully on me!

I just wish there was a hormone test for this like there is for menopause. We all have many questions and no one will give us answers.

Hope

Old 10-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Hi hopefor all,
    I too was diagnosed with gad, general anxiety disorder. it's a real illness you know and it's not considered a mental disorder. it's a physical illness and can wreak havoc on all your organs.
    you blood pressure is one of them. the aches and pains. they say we're more sensitive to what we feel. I believe that. I'm the same way. I ache over the least little thing like gardening or scrubbing down the walls of the shower. etc.
    I feel more aches and pains now than I ever felt in my life.
    I also felt like I was losing my mind.
    some doctors make you feel that way. they blame it on anxiety when they do tests and they all come out normal and we're left liek we have something really wrong going on inside and we hear of some people being misdiagnosed alot too. so worry that maybe they're misdiagnosing us. it happens.
    have you lost any significant unexplained weight loss like myself this past yr?
    I even went to a psychiatrist thinking maybe it was something emotional wrong.
    she told me she was very concerened because of all the yrs she's been a pschiatrist there's reasons for people losing that much weight, like with depression, you don't want to eat, there for eat less, there fore lose weight. then there's the case of classic anxiety, these people eat MORE the dr. said and usuallly GAIN weight, not lose it. then there are the emotionally ill people who forget to eat and there for lose weight.

my phschiatrist is so sure something medical is going on with my body and needs to be investigated by the medical drs and even wrote a letter for me to give to drs who suggest it's in the mind.
    she even sent me to an edocronoligst because symtoms of anxiety and sweats can be cause by the endocrine glands and the two glands that sit ontop of your kidneys called the adrenaline glands. you get flushing for no reason thru out the day, palpatations, and other systoms so closely related to anxiety symtoms.
    yet drs are so quick to think becasue we're mid aged woman that it's anxiety or pre menopause.
    you have to be diligent with these drs. it's your body and you know it best.
    they're only taught steps in treating symtoms. they learn thru text and experience as well.
    they're not always right.
    I've lost 30 lbs. without even trying. everyone I know is commenting on how I look and am I alright. my sister and brother are worried sick about me and nervous that the drs can't find whats wrong.
    Ive been to a gastroentergolist and am followinng up with him.
    I am also following two ovarian cysts that have been sitting in my only ovary since last nov.2004 and we havent' gone in to surgically test it. we've been following it up with trans vag ultra sounds.
    the radioligist says he feels I may have adenomyosis but the only way for sure is thru surgical removal of the uterus to determine that. there is not tests for that other than cat scans picking up abnormality on the review.
    now they say I may have fibroids.
    who knows if this is the cause or not of my weight loss?
    that's why I'm finally having the total hysterectomy the day after tomorrow.
    these chronic ovarian cysts have destroyed my left ovary and left tube beyond healing. I've suffered months upon months of cyclic pain when the cysts get large and they leak which the fluid hurts when it sits in the cul de sac near the colon. it's a little dead end part of the body.
    I've suffered nauseu, painfull bowel movements and even urination and painful sex.
    I'm tired of dealing with it anylonger and always suffering.
    maybe I'll feel like a new person once the surgery is performed.
    I will go on hrt becasue I can't live withmyself and my family won't be abel to if my mood swings and anger get anyworst.
    It's horrible.
    this is supposed to be premenopause? well I don't want it.
    I wish us woman didn't have to suffer like this.
    some fly right thru it without any debilitating symtoms, the lucky ones.

I wish you well,
    Linda

Old 10-16-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm so sorry Linda for what you have been thru. My situation isn't as drastic as yours. I don't get flushing or hot flashes thankfully!!!! Also I haven't had any major weight fluctuations. I go anywhere from 108-115. One is my summer weight the other is my winter weight lol

My sister had a complete hysterectomy a few years ago and it threw her right into menopause, and she said she would rather deal with the bad unexplained bleedings than what she is going thru now. She had a choice the surgery or depovera shots....she chose the surgery because she didn't want the wait gain from the shots....she's a tad vain!!!

Good luck with your surgery!

Last edited by Hope4All; 10-16-2005 at 04:27 PM.

Closed Thread