It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Could this be... perimenopause...????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
    carrielynn
    Veteran
    (female)

carrielynn HB User
    Could this be... perimenopause...????

Okay, this is the 3rd group I've posted on, trying to figure out what's going on with me. My situation is driving me nuts.

I'm 42 (recently turned). I have VERY regular periods, but they are very light and have been so since the birth of my 2nd child (5 years ago). Even though they are light, there have been 2 months (not consecutive) recently where they have lasted (basically light spotting) for about 8-10 days. Usually they last for about 5-7 days.

I've been through an enormous amount of stress this past year. I've had fatigue issues since the birth of my children, which I think are due to adrenal exhaustion. Last March I did a adrenal saliva test, which did indicate that I had adrenal exhaustion. I took some glandular supplements, DHEA. Started feeling better around June, so I stopped taking everything and didn't think anything more about it.

...Until the end of September when I started experiencing muscle aches/jitteriness and some anxiety that I was having a hard time managing. I've been doing a lot of biofeedback and yoga, which has helped with the anxiety and I'm doing better there. The muscle aching is confined mostly to my arms and legs and it's not going away. It's always present in some form or other, sometimes tolerable and something I need to take an advil (mostly at night). I was worried I had fibromyalgia, but I saw a knowledgeable doctor who didn't think that was what it was... other than the muscle aches I don't have the other symptoms. I'm sleeping pretty well and wake up okay. I'm tired, but it seems more due to muscle weakness... I don't have brain fog and am able to do things all day long without taking a nap.

I've always led a healthy lifestyle, but I have ramped things up... no caffeine, no sugar, no alcohol. I'm eating lots of vegetables, have been taking lots of supplements for a year (multi-vitamin, green food, fish oil, EPO, flax oil, coq10, ginger, calcium, magnesium etc.) and am taking care of myself as best as I can. None of this seems to make a difference.

I don't have headaches or bad PMS or IBS/gastro problems. I don't have complaints about my sleeping. I'm on thyroid medication and am monitored closely (every 6 months)... just had an appointment in September and everything looked good there.

Is it possible I'm beginning perimenopause? These problems don't seem to be classic symptoms, but I'm at a loss as to figure out what's going on.

--CarrieLynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
    katidid95
    Veteran
    (female)

katidid95 HB User
    Re: Could this be... perimenopause...????

Well, I'm no doctor, but it seems that if the muscle fatigue was due to peri symptoms (and you're certainly at that age) that you would have lots of other symptoms. You mentioned anxiety and a change in your periods, which are certainly peri symptoms. I guess if it were me, I'd try to eliminate any other possibilities (like anemia?) with my GP. You might also consider having a saliva test for your hormones to see if they are unbalanced.

A while back on this board, many of us listed our symptoms and many women listed muscle aches in arms/legs. Maybe someone will respond to your post specifically about that. That is one symptom I don't have.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
    Little Amy
    Veteran
    (female)

Little Amy HB User

carrielynn:
    If all your test come back fine on other physical possiblities - then I'd say it's VERY likely this is perimenopause related. I have had so many atypical symptoms with this, plus I didn't start out with some of the classic symptoms, but they sort of evolve every so often into something else, which may be what is happening to you. You may start out with the aches/pains and they may subside only to be replaced with sleeplessness and headaches. The anxiety is a huge symptom that most of us deal with. You sound like you are taking a very good approach to your health which should give your body a good "leg-up" on the situation. I have found that acupuncture has helped me greatly with balancing the hormones and reducing many of the symptoms we have to deal with. I would say the change in your periods is a good clue that you are starting into peri.
    Amy

Old 11-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
    carrielynn
    Veteran
    (female)

carrielynn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Little Amy
    carrielynn:
    If all your test come back fine on other physical possiblities - then I'd say it's VERY likely this is perimenopause related. I have had so many atypical symptoms with this, plus I didn't start out with some of the classic symptoms, but they sort of evolve every so often into something else, which may be what is happening to you. You may start out with the aches/pains and they may subside only to be replaced with sleeplessness and headaches. The anxiety is a huge symptom that most of us deal with. You sound like you are taking a very good approach to your health which should give your body a good "leg-up" on the situation. I have found that acupuncture has helped me greatly with balancing the hormones and reducing many of the symptoms we have to deal with. I would say the change in your periods is a good clue that you are starting into peri.
    Amy
    Amy,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I don't know if what's going on with my periods is significant enough... my periods are so light it's just like spotting, but the spotting went on for several days longer than usual, which I noted. I think that's happened twice now.

Other than that, I haven't noticed anything different about my periods, pretty much business as usual.

I had a physical and all the blood tests came back completely normal. I mentioned the muscle aches to the MD and he just shrugged his shoulders and said they would probably go away. I'm not having a lot of luck with MDs these days, so I'm searching for an alternative doctor who will do more sensitive and extensive hormone testing.

I've never tried acupuncture but a lot of people have suggested that. I'm doing so many other things that I'm not sure I want to add yet another modality to the mix yet, but will keep it in mind. I started a kundalini yoga class which is supposed to help with endocrine and glandular issues (or so I've been told). We'll see what that does.

Taking care of myself is more than a part time job. That and my kids is pretty much all I'm doing these days.

--CarrieLynn

Old 11-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
    carrielynn
    Veteran
    (female)

carrielynn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katidid95
    Well, I'm no doctor, but it seems that if the muscle fatigue was due to peri symptoms (and you're certainly at that age) that you would have lots of other symptoms. You mentioned anxiety and a change in your periods, which are certainly peri symptoms. I guess if it were me, I'd try to eliminate any other possibilities (like anemia?) with my GP. You might also consider having a saliva test for your hormones to see if they are unbalanced.

A while back on this board, many of us listed our symptoms and many women listed muscle aches in arms/legs. Maybe someone will respond to your post specifically about that. That is one symptom I don't have.
    Yeah, I don't know if it's peri because I'm not experiencing significant other symptoms other than the anxiety... and the period change is very subtle.

I did have a problem with breaking out really badly all over my chin, about a week ago, around my period. I remember thinking that was odd. I usually get a few zits, but not like this.

Thanks for your thoughts.

--CarrieLynn

Old 11-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
    Live-Life-to-Love
    Veteran
    (female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User

I'm just like you. I have muscle aches/pains and I too wonder if it's FIBRO or PERI or even a combination of both.

I get my muscle pains mostly at night. Along with anxiety. And it all started with all over muscle twitches...how about you?

It started for me about 6 months ago and really got bad last month.

Every since I hit 36 my body has been weirding out on me. High Blood Pressure 6 weeks after the birth of my 2nd baby. Never had it before, not even during pregancy. Then rapid heart for no reason last year (stopped after I took beta blockers for almost a year). Then the internal shakes - what was that??? Thank God for these boards. ANXIETY at bedtime. Now the body/muscle aches so bad you think SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG it hurts so bad. Yeah....I really think PERI is to blame for alot of stuff women go through during these weird years.

Last edited by Elda; 11-18-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
    carrielynn
    Veteran
    (female)

carrielynn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elda
    I'm just like you. I have muscle aches/pains and I too wonder if it's FIBRO or PERI or even a combination of both.

I get my muscle pains mostly at night. Along with anxiety. And it all started with all over muscle twitches...how about you?

It started for me about 6 months ago and really got bad last month.

Every since I hit 36 my body has been weirding out on me. High Blood Pressure 6 weeks after the birth of my 2nd baby. Never had it before, not even during pregancy. Then rapid heart for no reason last year (stopped after I took beta blockers for almost a year). Then the internal shakes - what was that??? Thank God for these boards. ANXIETY at bedtime. Now the body/muscle aches so bad you think SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG it hurts so bad. Yeah....I really think PERI is to blame for alot of stuff women go through during these weird years.
    My problems started at the end of September. I haven't been able to detect much of a pattern -- one that lasts any way. Initially my thigh muscles and upper arm muscles just ached and ached. I had been lifting weights, but because of the aching I stopped. The aching would come and go. I started feeling anxious about it after 2 weeks when it just wouldn't stop. Sometimes it felt like burning, especially when I relaxed at night.

So I don't know if the anxiety was caused by the aching or the aching caused the anxiety. I have had one stressor after another this past year and I was thinking that I just got tipped over the edge. I started worrying it was fibromyalgia, and I saw my MD and a DO about it. Neither of them thought that's what it was because I wasn't exhibiting the other symptoms of fibro. I don't have the classic tender point pattern, but I do have a few tender points here and there that seem to come and go. Mostly in my left arm and upper shoulder. The D.O. did think it was adrenal exhaustion because of the saliva test I took last March.

I'm really working on my sleep, since everything I've read indicates better sleep can help heal these kinds of things. I'm sleeping pretty well... going to bed by 10 and waking up around 6:30-7. I usually wake up 1-2 times in the night, but fall back asleep pretty easily.

It *seems* to be getting slightly better. I'm not better, but I'm having moments where I think I *might* be getting better. But just when I think I'm getting better, I feel even worse. Two nights ago I was feeling pretty good (relatively). I took a nice warm bath, then got into bed. My thigh muscles started aching and burning so bad that I had to take an advil. It was just plain strange and scary. I ovulated the next day, so I'm thinking (hoping) the stress of that caused the aching.

I'm not getting muscle twitches. I do get a feeling of weakness or shakiness, especially when I take a walk or go up some stairs. In fact, the aching isn't as bad as the weakness/jitteriness has become. My body just feels "sick" at times for lack of a better way to describe it. It's like I'm missing a nutrient. It's like my nervous system is "off" or something. Sometimes little noises startle me way more than they should and I'm a lot more touchy.

I don't know... it's interesting because when I've visited the fibro board and the Addison's board (the closest board to adrenal exhaustion I could find), they all complain of similar symptoms that the menopause board is complaining about. The only thing I can think that is causing this is a combination of stress, adrenal exhaustion from previous stress in my life, and the fact that I'm 42 and things are starting to shift. This isn't fun, I can tell you!

--CarrieLynn

Old 11-19-2005, 09:03 AM   #8
    Live-Life-to-Love
    Veteran
    (female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User

Your story could be mine. Try Tylenol PM at night for the pain.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #9
    carrielynn
    Veteran
    (female)

carrielynn HB User

One advil works pretty well for me. I try not to take it unless I can't sleep... I don't usually need any sleep assistance. I'll keep the Tylenol PM in mind if the advil doesn't work anymore.

I just got a craniosacral massage and the therapist told me my head bones were all off balance. She spent the bulk of the hour trying to shift everything back into place. I wish I could remember the technical name of the bone that was particularly out of whack. It was the back of my head, near my neck. While she was working on me I could feel all sorts of things shift everywhere -- in my mouth, in my head. She said she saw my legs and feet twitching as she worked on me. I remember wiggling them at some point, so I don't know if that's what she saw. I was kindof out to lunch during the session.

I don't know if this is going to help my muscle aching. She said that she sees these patterns with people who have had bigtime stress or an automobile accident. She said she was in an auto accident, which affected the same part of her head and that she felt very off-balance afterwards, like she couldn't coordinate her legs very well.

I'd love to think this will fix me and I won't have any more problems. I'm feeling okay right now, but still have a slight twinge of weakness in my legs and a "tender spot" on my left arm. She said that the work she did will continue to "heal" over the next 4 days. So I'll see how I feel during that time... will post if I start feeling better.

Since you are dealing with similar symptoms, please keep me updated on your efforts to get better -- just post to this thread.

--CarrieLynn

Closed Thread