It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Beauty Secrets for us mature ladies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User
    Beauty Secrets for us mature ladies

Hey everyone..... from the sounds of these threads.... we could all use a little more self esteem. Let's face it, if we look better, it can help us feel better.

Let's share our beauty tips and secrets on this thread

Anybody have any?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User
    Re: Beauty Secrets for us mature ladies

The only thing that I can think of that has helped me tremendously is that I lost weight and started working out (doing TaeBo) and saw really good results. Since January, I have started doing it six days a week and I have really seen a major improvement in my butt and legs. I still have cellulite, and I am terribly embarrassed about that, but I just haven't found ANYTHING that helped with that. I do feel good in my clothes though.

I also had Lasik surgery two years ago. I had not been able to wear contacts in years because my eyes were so dry. That also made my confidence in myself soar.

As far as wrinkles.... I haven't found a thing to help with those though

Old 03-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User

littlejmb I agree.... working out pays off.... I did weights last year and I really noticed a difference. I was surprised. I really need to get back into that.

One little thing I did that has been kind of a "pick me up" is I subscribed to "More" magazine. Is anybody else familiar with it? It is a womens magazine that targets our age group. What a refreshing change. Kind of like "Cosmo" for us!!

Oh, here is a tip I saw on a different forum... but I tried it and it works, so I'll share... if you want your eyelashes to seem extra long, apply a coat and use your blow dryer (on a cooler setting) to blow up on the lashes. I tried this and it really works I had gotten away from wearing eye makeup, but recently discovered that I can make my eyes look much younger by using some makeup.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
    1awesomegranny
    (female)

1awesomegranny HB User

I love MORE!!! Thats one of my favorite magazines...currently I'm on a search for a moisturizer/foundation that will even out my skin tone...I just seem blotchy/ruddy to me! I know I need to go more toward the yellow/green to even it out, but its so hard to find a foundation I like that doesn't seem heavy. And I too need to get back to the working out stuff, it really does help body and mind! My next beauty experiment is going to be those crest whitestrips...anyone use them or should I save my money?
    Conni

Old 03-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I have used the chrest white strips. They do work. My husband was telling me my teeth were starting to look abnormally white. I said cool...lol. After a couple weeks they already weren't as white though but white enough. The only problem I have with them is I have one tooth in the front that hurts extremely bad when I use them. After just one day of the white strips it hurts all the way down to the root of the tooth. Especially if you use two of them in one day which is really the best for getting them really white. The last time I just used one strip top and bottom a day and didn't get as dramatic of results of whitening. It wasn't as painful though. I will use them about once a year. I knew someone I worked with that would use them every 6 months or more and the first thing I noticed about her when I met her was man her teeth are white. I couldn't stop looking at them it was almost distracting. The premium white strips or better are the best the ones where you only use them for one week. They are best for me anyway. They whiten better and one week is less pain to deal with then three weeks like the older ones Crest came out with first. I was even taking pain pills to get rid of the pain in my tooth. Some people don't have that problem though. My step daughter has used them after she had her braces off and she said they never caused her any pain.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Granny ditto here!! I'm still trying to find the perfect foundation for that darn ruddy rosacia that also seems to be way worse with this peri Right now I'm trying to mix mineral makeup... has anybody tried that?? I love how it feels on my skin, but I haven't found the right shade yet. So far its all online buying so lots of experimenting is needed.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think finding the right foundation and color of lipstick is really like finding a needle in a haystack! I finally found a foundation that I love, but if you have really dry skin, it would work for you. Mine is still kind of oily, so I use the Mabelline EverFresh makeup that is oilfree. The Sand color is just perfect. It stays put all day. Now - finding the right color lipstick is another matter. I found the color I wanted today, and got home and tried it on, and don't like it as usual! Too nude. I think this time in my life I have a harder time finding the right cosmetics that I ever did when I was younger.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
    twanger
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twanger HB User

Crest white trips worked great for me. My dentist recommended them and checked my teeth when I went back and said that he couldn't have done a better job.

As far as skin uneveness, I use Estee Lauder Idealist and it has done wonders. It is really expensive but you just need a little bit one or two times a day and you will see a change. The bottle looks small for the price but it does go a long way. Because of the price, I tried other OTC brands but they did not do the trick. Maybe you could ask for it as a gift or something.

As far as matching lipstick, I read that it is best to hold your lips together tightly for 15 seconds or more and let go. The natural color of your lips when you release them is what you should find in lipstick. I have tried that and am pleased with it.

This is a good thread and I can't wait to see other suggestions.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
    1awesomegranny
    (female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hi Twanger,
    Actually I do have idealist...about 10 small bottles from the gifts they give at the counter when I buy stuff! I'll try that...I also got some eucetrin lotion thats spoz to help with redness, so between the two I hope to see some improvement. And I bought the whitestrips this morning, gonna try them tonite. I love this thread too...theres so much we can learn from each other...and I don't know about everyone else, but I'm all for helpful hints and suggestions to camoflauge the signs of aging!! lol
    Conni

Old 03-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
    twanger
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twanger HB User

granny, I also found that if I used Cethaphil soap on my face I didn't have as much redness. I guess that our skin becomes more sensative at this stage in our life.

In addition, the instructions on the crest strips tell you to use one for an hour/day. Maybe cut that back a little and do 30 minutes/day if you find that you have any sensativity. Maybe even every other day. You will still get the same effects just may take more time.

Also, my dentist told me to do the top teeth first. The bottoms seem to be more sensative and those teeth do not show as much. I can't do my bottom teeth but no one knows ( except every one on the board now).

Old 03-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I'm 35 so I don't really have any wrinkles yet and my skin does not react well to the sun so I have always worn foundation with sunscreen in it. I do have these red veins in my cheeks and red marks that I don't think will ever go away. I have tried so many different foundations only at the drug store though. The only one that I have found to cover that red crap is MaxFactor facefinity. I put a thin layer all over my face and then dot it on the red marks on my cheeks and don't need a separate cover up stick or anything because it covers very well. My cheeks are still smooth and thank god I never got any indentations from some of the acne I had but the blotchy red marks just will never go away. The FaceFinity foundation colors I have used there are two of them one in the winter and one in the summer for when my body gets tan but I want my face to match. The colors I picked have a yellowish tinge to them so it really covers the red well and blends in with my skin well. It covers it up so well no one would ever know I what is lurking under there...lol.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #12
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kari, I have those little red broken capillaries on my face too and even though I wear a pretty thick makeup, they still show and I have to use a ton of cover stick. However, my skin tends to be oily and to break out, so I wonder if the Max Factor would work for me?

Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlejmb
    Kari, I have those little red broken capillaries on my face too and even though I wear a pretty thick makeup, they still show and I have to use a ton of cover stick. However, my skin tends to be oily and to break out, so I wonder if the Max Factor would work for me?
    I bet it would work for you. My skin is oily too and this stuff resists oil even. I have gone out to the lake and been sweating and had a very oily face and have water splash on my face even and look in the mirror and still the broken capillaries aren't showing. I have tried probably 20 foundations over the years from the drug store or maybe even more then that and this one covers the best for me. There is another one by max factor that covers really well to. I used that before they came out with FaceFinity. The FaceFinity stays on better though. If you put a thin layer on it will still show through but after you have applied a thin layer all over your face then blot it on with your finger like you would a coverup stick and it covers very well and is a perfect match obviously. I haven't had to use a separate cover stick since I bought this stuff. It does not come off easy at night though. I can't get it all of if I just try to wash my face. I first rub it off with a wet wipe type thing like kleenex wet wipes and then I wash it.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:46 PM   #14
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Can someone please tell me what works for the puffness under my eyes? It seems like the left is more swollen. More sleep doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 03-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #15
    katidid95
    Veteran
    (female)

katidid95 HB User

Hopefully, This problem has been getting worse for me also, but I think it's hereditary. I've noticed they are much worse if I eat a heavy meal late at night or any foods with a lot of salt (like Chinese take-out - the worst!) for dinner.

Closed Thread