It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• antidepressants

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User
    antidepressants

I'm 46 and just starting to have perimenopausal symptoms. So far the worst one is anxiety and just feeling depressed. I go to my doctor on friday and i thought about asking for an antidepressant...if any of you are on an antidepressant which one worked best for you.I am probably more anxious than depressed..It is mostly health anxiety. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User
    Re: antidepressants

I have been very successful with Celexa. It is an anti-depressant to help even out emotions/mood swings, and also is often used for panic disorder. It takes about 4 weeks for it to fully "kick-in". In the meantime my doc also prescribed an anti-anxiety medication called Ativan. I used the Ativan a lot at first, but now that the Celexa is working well, it seems to be doing a very good job of keeping me stable with just one small dose a day.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Health Anxietywas one of my biggest problems beginning perimenopause at the age of 45. I'll tell you, there was nothign that would convince me that all these symptoms could be peri until my Gyne and I had it out for months and all the research I did and noted the way I was feeling...yep sure enough, it is peri. I take Prozac and it worked great for a while. But this time, when I lost my period again two months ago, my hot flashes have been horrible, in the day and night and can't sleep right. I am so nervous, nervous, nervous. I was also given Xanax but don't take that much. Maybe tonight I will just to try to take the egde off. So your doctor will have to suggest because they all effect people differently.

Andrea

Old 05-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
    ILaff
    (female)

ILaff HB User

I LOVE my antidepressant...in this case wellbutrin:"the happy, healthy, and horny pill" is what my OB called it. I figure two outta three ain't bad...

Seriously,I mean it...if you need it take it. This started with peri and then 911 kicked my rear. I am soooo much better. My family, my pets, my friends and and most of all "I" deserve it and so do you. Feel better...start out gradually with the script...half a pill(assuming it is a pill not a capsule) every other day for 5 days, a whole pill every other day for 5 days and then try a whole pill a day...etc til you're up to full dose...zoloft is a mild one that kicks in rapidly(well for ssris anyway)and paxil was GREAT...but sadly I could keep taking it so wellbutrin it is...

Old 05-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
    almost50
    (female)

almost50 HB User

Has anyone had any luck with Prozac? I hear people talk about how good Welbutrin makes them feel,but I have also heard it can raise blood pressure, and I don't need that.This depression and anxiety is really getting to me.Thanks for listening.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

Thanks everybody for your replies...has anyone had any luck with lexapro. I can't decide if i just want to take xanax when needed but when does a person become addicted to xanax. I try not take it more than once or twice a week.. I just want to feel calm and relaxed and enjoy life, instead of always worrying about health issues.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
    jitteryme
    (female)

jitteryme HB User

I tried Lexapro, and had a hard time with it. I couldn't sleep at all. But, there are a lot of people who post on the anxiety board who have had success with it. Everyone is different. My brother takes Lexapro and is doing wonderfully on it. I wish it had worked for me because now I am very reluctant to try any other AD's.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
    poslusny55

poslusny55 HB User

I was on cymbalta, now I switched to wellbutrin xl. Did anyone ever experience this. I get very dizzy when I turn my head (really very lightheaded). Sometimes it is even when I turn my eyes from side to side. Other than this, I have to agree, if the dizziness goes away, that wellbutrin is wonderful. I'm not eating as much, which was a big big problem. Please though, if any experienced or nows what I'm talking about with the dizziness, please respond. Or again, is this part of the menopausal

Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

I talked to my doctor today and we decided since i am only using xanax about twice a week i will just continue with that..if i start needing it 3 or 4 times a week then she said that i should then consider taking an antidepressant...Some years ago i took Pamelor and it worked great after i got over the side effects...until one day my heart started pounding so fast and hard that i ended up in the hospital and the heart doctor said i had to get off of pamelor...I just wish antidepressants didn't have so many side effects, because they really can work good.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #10
    kkamp1983
    (female)

kkamp1983 HB User

I have been on prozac for about 8 years. It works for me. I also take trazadone at night cause prozac kept me from getting a full night sleep. ABout 2 times a year I take a xanax when I feel really anxious due to stress. It stops the cycle and I feel ok again.

Closed Thread