It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• peri/menopause & high b/p

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
    high5house
    (female)

high5house HB User
    peri/menopause & high b/p

Any one have a problem w/ peri/menopause & high b/p?? I have been treated for hbp for about 5yrs (I'm 45). I'm experiencing hot flashes (???) that feel like a niacin flush literally from toe to head, anxiety attacks & a rise in b/p even though the dr has increased the toprol. I'm open to anything, any thoughts???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User
    Re: peri/menopause & high b/p

I developed high blood pressure a couple years ago when I began perimenopause and I'm now taking Toprol and Diovan to maintain my blood pressure. Prior to perimenopause my bp was quite low, around 106/64.

It took me awhile to figure out that by using compounded progesterone cream I'm able to keep my bp within the normal range. If I go awhile without using the cream I've noticed that my bp seems to be higher. I've also put on a considerable amount of weight which does contribute to the elevated blood pressure. Hopefully I can decrease or stop taking my bp medications when I shed these extra pounds. I can do it...I can do it... I can do this!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
    Middleagedcrazy
    (female)

Middleagedcrazy HB User
    Re: peri/menopause & high b/p

I believe there is a definate connection. Two years ago, I found I had high bp. The same visit while I was in the drs office I tried to talk to this dr about menopause and discuss the fact that though I had no hot flashes I had to be in it since I was 50. I was trying to open the door to discuss all the symptoms that I did have. He blew me off with, well then you don't need to do anything.
    Fast forward almost two years. Through diet and exercise, I was able to half the bp medicine in that time. Despite the healthiest diet I have ever eaten, My cholesterol went way up. I went to a nurse practioner who told me about bio identical hormones. I am almost two months into them and I can already tell a huge difference. For me, the increase in energy was almost immediate, plus the bp medicine I had already halved, I am now taking every other day. I can tell when my bp gets too high ot too low. I hope that I have decreased my other numbers when I go back.
    As luck would have it, the nurse practioner that I saw has now left that drs office. I can imagine why! He is a male chauvenist and a 1/2! But hormones can definately affect your bp and every other function of your body.

Closed Thread