It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Peri?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User
    Peri?

Hi Girls,

Have just done a home menopause kit test, one last week and one this week, and while the last test was inconclusive in that I couldn't really interpret the result, this one was a definite negative.

So, my question is, do you start realeasing the FSH which the kit is testing for only when your periods have stopped? I still have my periods but they have been getting closer together for a while and are very heavy. I also have 'power surges' to my upper body which seems to be happening at period time. I don't have hot flushes but I am ALWAYS hot. This has gone on for a couple of years. I am 45 years old.

So, do all these symptoms appear in peri menopause? Do they get worse once your periods stop? I am getting more and more confused the more I try and think of it. I am not in menopause but I seem to have some of the symptoms.

Thanks.

Sandie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
    Wizard
    (female)

Wizard HB User
    Re: Peri?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac2

So, my question is, do you start realeasing the FSH which the kit is testing for only when your periods have stopped? I still have my periods but they have been getting closer together for a while and are very heavy.
    So, do all these symptoms appear in peri menopause? Do they get worse once your periods stop? I am getting more and more confused the more I try and think of it. I am not in menopause but I seem to have some of the symptoms.

Thanks.

Sandie

Hi Sandie:

FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) is not something that occurs just when your periods have stopped. Everyone female, from the time they enter puberty, has FSH levels that rise and fall as the month goes on. FSH is what stimulates the follicle to release an egg in preparation for pregnancy.

As you get closer to menopause, your FSH levels will rise. Pregnancy can occur quite easily if your levels are under 12 (when tested on cycle day 3) but in menopause your levels rise and rise as the body tries to stimulate follicles when may no longer contain eggs.

Each woman is different when they enter peri-menopause. Some (like you) tend to get periods which are heavier and closer together. Other's have skipped periods and can go several months without one, only to get a very heavy one when they do. I have been getting my period closer together but it's been getting lighter each month. My gyn feels that I'm one of those women who will eventually just stop without ever getting the heavy flow.

Joanne

Closed Thread