It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Scared to sleep -weird dreams

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
    Flyerfan
    (female)

Flyerfan HB User
    Question Scared to sleep -weird dreams

Hi! Haven't posted in a while. I've been having weird, nightmarish dreams since I've been experiencing peri symptoms the last few years. The worst was last night. OMG! I had a dream I had a gun in my mouth! Now, I am not depressed, have never even thought about hurting myself one bit and am scared to death of guns. This really scares me. Right after that one, I had a dream my DH covered me with a blanket and tried to suffocate me. I woke up trying to scream. Can this be my hormones?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 12:57 AM   #2
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
    Re: Scared to sleep -weird dreams

One possibility is that you are becoming more sensitive to stimulants. Most of us women loooove chocolate, and some of us (speaking for myself here) graduated to darker and darker chocolate as the years go by, thinking that milk chocolate just isnt strong enough. Chocolate is a drug. As I started going through perimenopause, I found that the euphoria part of chocolate wasn't working for me any more. I didn't get "high" from it any more. BUT, the other stimulant effects DID work on me. I noticed that my dreams after eating chocolate were vivid crazy action-packed colorful dreams that made me toss and turn (and wake up my husband), and frequently woke me up with a racing heart from nasty nightmares. I started calling them my chocolate dreams. And I reluctantly admitted that I had to give up chocolate -- I got only the negative side effects, and no longer any of the woooonderful good effects. Sigh.

So, how much chocolate are you eating?

--Rheanna

Old 01-21-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
    Flyerfan
    (female)

Flyerfan HB User

Rheanna:
    I don't eat much chocolate. Actually I can't eat any in the evening. It will keep me up at night. Yesterday I had two small pieces of dark chocolate and had no weird dreams last night. Go figure!

Sharon

Old 01-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
    Gavi112
    (female)

Gavi112 HB User

I have been having vivid dreams and nightmares for quite a few years in the three nights before my periods start, its nearly every cycle and so it must be hormonal. I find I can't get to sleep then when I do I have these unbelievable vivid horrible dreams and wake up about 5 times a night in a panic.

I have been having them for last 7 years and am now 45 and in perimenopause as my periods are all over the place in last 6 months.

Can't off any solution but your not alone.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
    roland92
    (female)

roland92 HB User

Flyerfan,
    I get these vivid dreams too and often wake up in a sweat or with my heart racing. I think this is all related to hormones. I don't get them every night, just certain times in the month. T

Old 01-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
    Wizard
    (female)

Wizard HB User

Yes.....it can be perimenopause causing it.

I went through a horrible stage just over a year ago where I had horrific dreams. I couldn't sleep for more than a few minutes at a time without drifting into dreams of murder, devastation, horror. I was afraid to go to sleep. As the lack of sleep progressed, the dreams got worse and worse.

I recently watched a program on tv where a woman was complaining about a year of horrific dreams. The first thing the psychiatrist recommended was having her hormones checked.

I eventually went on several months of anti anxiety meds which gave me time to get my health back together while I looked at other methods of controlling the dreams.

Last edited by Wizard; 01-30-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

I also went through a period of time having weird dreams, not the nightmare type, just weird. From what I recall my dreams consisted of people I did not know; of course I've forgotten the events of these dreams. Since I'm closer to the end of this peri rollercoaster ride things are starting to become more "normal." It does get better .

Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
    td9997
    Inactive
    (female)

td9997 HB User
    Post Re: Scared to sleep -weird dreams

Well Im not alone !

Yep having some strange dreams myself, Im 50 yay!! Ive never had bad dreams [knockin on the wood] My dreams arent scary just dreams of people Ive known in the past I havent seen for 30 years. ~~ Or dreams like me, my mom, and my sister are riding a quad in a big track around the house mud, and all ! Now thats one crazy dream.

The dreams of seeing people I havent seen in 30 years, is kinda freaky but never scary.

sweet dreams ~~~~~

Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
    pill
    (male)

pill HB User

Were you ever in a situation where you had a gun pointed at you that may have caused the dream?

I know I had a screwy dream once that I started shooting my gun around the house for no reason and I woke up in a sweat thinking I killed someone. Weird.

Closed Thread