It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Hot Hot Hot Flashes

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Basket Case
(female)

Basket Case HB User
Red face Hot Hot Hot Flashes

Hi everyone. Just wondering if those that have hot flashes just have them occasionally or do they have them all the time. I get hot flashes day and night. I get them when I drink hot tea, I get them when I eat, I get them throughout the night along with sweats. I live in North Dakota and somebody I work with said they wished that they had hot flashes then they wouldn't be so cold. I told her not to wish for them as they are horrible. Does anyone else get them all the time like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
marian100
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: Hot Hot Hot Flashes

i have never had them that bad. the worst was maybe 5 or 6 a day. i've read that it helps to stay away from hot beverages and caffiene. i used to keep a fan on my desk at work and use it during a hot flash. of course my job was a big stress for me and that was when i would have the majority of my hot flashes. once i quit they reduced significantly. i am now entering my 9th year of peri and am just starting to get the night sweats. one day this to shall pass. i hope.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
deb416
(female)

deb416 HB User

Hot Fashes ----No one could have them more than I did. I told my doctor I had one big hot flash a day. The only problem was it lasted for 24 hours. She just laughed. Anyhow they got so bad that she put me on Activella, which is hormone theraphy. It sure did wonders for me. My sisters are going through the same thing but they can not go on htr because they both smoke. I really feel bad for them. Just to think that our grandparents went through this and they never said a word. Mine didn't anyhow. How times have changed.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Barbs45
(female)

Barbs45 HB User

I too suffer from the hot flushes.

They just come on me with no warning, I light up like a red light

I just want to run and hide when this happens.

Hopefully, we'll all cool down soon.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
PrincessTaffi
(female)

PrincessTaffi HB User

I'm so glad that I found this site yesterday + have been able to read + understand what you've all been going through.

I too get hot flushes although not as bad as Basket Case. Mine seem to come + go. I'm fine for a while + then they start all over again. Does anyone else get them like this?

Old 02-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Diane817
(female)

Diane817 HB User

Yep I get them but they aren't as bad when I exercise. Walking helps a lot. Or if nothing else you can get on HRT to stop them.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
summerblue
(female)

summerblue HB User

I get them all the time and I have been having TERRIBLE night sweats! I have been sleeping with the windows opened wide and the ceiling fan on high, and it has been very cold here. And when I am not having hot flashes I am freezing cold! I can't win.

Last edited by summerblue; 02-22-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #8
Basket Case
(female)

Basket Case HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTaffi View Post
I'm so glad that I found this site yesterday + have been able to read + understand what you've all been going through.

I too get hot flushes although not as bad as Basket Case. Mine seem to come + go. I'm fine for a while + then they start all over again. Does anyone else get them like this?
Thanks for replying. You're right this site has become my lifeline. Before I found this I thought I was losing my mind with all the symptoms I have been getting. As far as the hot flashes they still continue throughout the day. When I started I used to go through phases of them but for the past few weeks I have had them constantly. My husband doesn't mind as he says he saves on heating fuel because of my hot flashes, Thanks again for your input I really appreciate it

Old 03-01-2007, 05:45 AM   #9
cecropia
(female)

cecropia HB User

Just saw this post. I'm 55 and started the night sweats about a month ago. They continue to get worse. I still have not stopped my period but it is very light now and I am almost two weeks late now for the first time ever. Will this be my first skip? Who knows. I'm so tired all day, I absolutely can not get anything done. I walk every morning because it's suppposed to help, but then that is just about all the energy I have for the day. I do not have hot flashes during the day, but as soon as my head hits the pillow at night they start up. I can't get any sleep hardly. If I even move to change positions it causes me to have a hot flash, I throw the covers off and then when it is over I am freezing to death and pull all the covers back on. I actually feel dehydrated in the morning... Please, please, someone respond to my post if you have these all night also, so I don't feel so alone. I don't want to go on HRT I'm trying to get through this without. It would mean so much to me if there were others who are going it without the HRT. Please talk to me.....

Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
Basket Case
(female)

Basket Case HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecropia View Post
Just saw this post. I'm 55 and started the night sweats about a month ago. They continue to get worse. I still have not stopped my period but it is very light now and I am almost two weeks late now for the first time ever. Will this be my first skip? Who knows. I'm so tired all day, I absolutely can not get anything done. I walk every morning because it's suppposed to help, but then that is just about all the energy I have for the day. I do not have hot flashes during the day, but as soon as my head hits the pillow at night they start up. I can't get any sleep hardly. If I even move to change positions it causes me to have a hot flash, I throw the covers off and then when it is over I am freezing to death and pull all the covers back on. I actually feel dehydrated in the morning... Please, please, someone respond to my post if you have these all night also, so I don't feel so alone. I don't want to go on HRT I'm trying to get through this without. It would mean so much to me if there were others who are going it without the HRT. Please talk to me.....
Hi,

I have a lot of hot flashes day and night. At night when I eventually get to sleep, as you, as soon as I stir and move positions I get a hot flash (sweat) which then keeps me awake. And, yes then after that I get cold. Also I am trying to get through this without any medication whatsoever. No HRT or anxiety pills or depression pills. I have tried a couple of natural remedies but they have made it worse. So you are not alone in your plight to get through this. I have many other symptoms but this message board has helped me understand the symptoms I am experiencing. It seems to me that even those who take medicines still experience the same symptoms. I am 52 and have not had a period now for 11 months. some days are worse than others but I try to make fun of my symptoms and keep a sense of humor,although this is very hard to do. I feel sorry for my husband who obviously goes through this with me. Hopefully this helps, keep the faith and strength and hopefully we will get through this difficult part of our lives soon!

Old 03-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #11
cecropia
(female)

cecropia HB User

Thanks, basketcase, there is one question you answered about waking up and trying to change positions of sleep, or just stirring a little, boy the hot flash comes right then. I was wondering if that was normal if that happened to anyone else like that, and you say it does, makes me feel so much better. I take buspirone for anxiety, but it does not help the hot flashes at all so if you can get along without anxiety medicine, I'm so happy for you.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:23 AM   #12
Diane817
(female)

Diane817 HB User

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to go on HRT but have you considered bio-identical? It's made by a compound pharmacy and is identical to what our bodies produce naturally, that way no nasty side effects like those terrible synthetic kind. Ask your doctor about it if you're interested. [removed] I am going to go see my doc one of these days and get on them. I have a friend doing it now and swears by it. Why I procrastinate is beyond me. Except I do know. I have migraines and don't want to fool with one more doctor. :-( But I will. Soon. :-) Take care and have a cool day. Diane

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-02-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
cecropia
(female)

cecropia HB User

I will write that down, Diane, bio-identical. Yeah, I know what you mean about getting another doctor, mine is retiring this summer, she is nice but I'm lucky if I get 5min. with her. She only comes in 3 days a week and I think she's lost her zest for being a doctor, she has lost touch with a lot of the newer medicines and things. A young lady is supposed to take her place and I'm trying to hold out till summer and see if the replacement for her is on the ball with what's going on in the world today... If you know your friend is on the bio- stuff at least you have someone close to talk to and can see how she's doing first hand, that should put your mind at ease a lot.

Good day to you too!

Old 03-27-2007, 04:13 AM   #14
PrincessTaffi
(female)

PrincessTaffi HB User

Well mine are back but with a vengeance this time. Both day + night coming out of the blue + all I want to do is go+ stick my head in the fridge to cool down! It's so embarrassing during the day if I'm out.

Just like Cecropia, the ones at night aren't all that pleasant either. I wake up drenched in persperation, kick off the bed clothes, finally go back to sleep only to wake up half an hour later freezing. Also I've been waking up with my left hand dead which I've just read in another post is happening to quite a few other ladies too.

My husband is being very sweet + supportive. He said he was sorry that he couldn't share my "pain" but how long will that last if I keep on moaning. I'm either hot or cold as I take off as many clothes as I can, only to be freezing a while later + put them all back on again. A vicious circle!

We talked about going on HRT but my husband (who is a dr) advises me not to take any pills if possible. He says it's better for my body to take it's natural course through the menopause. He has a point but then again he doesn't get the flushes.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #15
bocana
(female)

bocana HB User

Hey menopausal friends!
I'm 47 and haven't had a period for 4 months. My night sweats have now become the defining symptom of my life. Hot cold hot. So irritating and uncomfortable!

Closed Thread