It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Anxiety!!!!!!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
roland92
(female)

roland92 HB User
Anxiety!!!!!!!

Here I am on the anxiety rollercoaster. Yesterday it was so bad that I was driving and had to stop the car and sit to try to calm down. It hit out of the blue. The anxiety came in waves. It would peak and then subside and then come back within a few seconds and then seem to subside. This went on for about an hour. It was in the middle of my cycle about ovulation time. I am wondering if this is caused by a surge in my homones. I am praying that it doesn't come back like that again. Anyone else feel this way? T.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
kathryn+2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: Anxiety!!!!!!!

Anxiety is a huge problem for me. The other day I was at the DMV waiting forever (what else is new!) and had a full on anxiety attack. Because it was in a public place it was even worse because I was trying to pretend i was fine ,but inside I was ready to pass out . I do have an rx for xanax. I don't usually have it with me ,but I'm going to start carrying it. That's the only thing I can advise you on. Maybe get an rx for xanax. I have tried a special breathing exercise ,and that sometimes helps. You take 4 breaths in the nose and out the mouth ,then 4 breaths in the mouth and out the nose ,then 4 breaths in and out the nose ,and lastly 4 breaths in and out the mouth (slowly).It takes you mind off how you are feeling and gives you something to focus on. Good luck..I do sympathize with you. ...Kat.
p.s ...not sure if it's tied to hormones ,but wouldn't be at all surprised.

Last edited by kathryn+2; 02-14-2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: adding on

Old 02-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Barbs45
(female)

Barbs45 HB User

I suffer from anxiety too, and can really sympathise.

The more anxious I become, the more hot and flushed I become. Just a nightmare at times.

Thoughts with you!
Barbs.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
roland92
(female)

roland92 HB User

Kat
I should try the breathing exercises. I've never tried them before. I get anxious when I know that I have to wait on line or if I am stuck in traffic. This bout of anxiety came out of the blue. I think it is from hormones. I will ask my doctor about the Xanax. I don't think that I would need it all the time but it would help to have something when things become unbearable like they did the other day. Thanks to both of you for your understanding!! Anxiety has to be the worst symptom, at least for me! T.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
mackenzie61
(female)

mackenzie61 HB User

So sorry that happened to you -- it is very, very frightening.

I've had a history of panic attacks (mostly while freeway driving) and anxiety, and have been taking paxil for it. I also had a prescription for xanax to keep on hand for those times when the panic got unbearable. Sometimes just knowing I had it on hand really helped -- I wouldn't even need to take it.

It sounds to me like you were on the edge of a panic attack and fighting it. In my experience, the more you fight it the longer it lasts. Usually a full-blown attack gets over with in ten minutes or so. I think someone mentioned deep breathing -- that does help. There are some good anxiety books out there that show you how to do it the right way and talk about ways to ride the panic out. Of course, it's easier to talk about doing it than actually do it during a panic attack.

Hang in there,

Mackenzie

Old 02-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Lynnmarie418
(female)

Lynnmarie418 HB User

Anxiety has taken its toll on me.Dr won't renew my xanax so I fired her.I never abused the xanax but with this anxiety and other menopause symptoms and dwelling on my health and feeling something bad is wrong with me is causeing my anxiety and constant crying episodes to get out of control.
Lynn

Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Tagg
(female)

Tagg HB User

The anxiety is getting to me too. I keep thinking there is something else wrong with me.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
CrazyLife414
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

I am not sure if I have started actual menopause or if it is the "peri" menopause that I hear about, but I do know that I have the same thing! I get the total anxiety thing going on right around the time that I should be ovulating...It makes me crazy because I have always said the I had post menstrual syndrome instead of premenstrual. I also have trouble with my stomach and it is much worse during this part of my cycle. What are you doing to help????
Good Luck!
Crazy Life

Old 02-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Tagg
(female)

Tagg HB User

So far all I've done is drink lots of calming teas, put a heating pad on my stomach & read these posts when the anxiety & my stomach are going crazy.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
Lynnmarie418
(female)

Lynnmarie418 HB User

When you get the anxiety does it feel like your sufficating? This happens to me alot and I feel like I can't get enough air in.It happens mostly when I am driving in traffic or more worse when I am trying to fall asleep at night.Just too weird.
Lynn

Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
CrazyLife414
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

When I get the anxiety it kind of feels like I am in a soda pop bottle and the lid is on tight..almost claustraphobic (sp)...I can't breath and I burp ALOT (really attractive trait for a 44 year ol woman ) The thing that bothers me probably worse than anything is that sometimes (right around ovulation time) I wake up in the morning in the middle of an attack...Very weird! Anyway as my girlfriend says..Welcome to the rollercoaster ride.....
Not sure I am too happy about this one..
Blessings,
CrazyLife

Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
jjwc4
(female)

jjwc4 HB User

Girls!!! There is a reason that you are having anxiety attacks, what you need to do is go to a good endocrinologist and get a work-up. Drugs only treat the symptoms of something that is going on. From too much soda to just being hungry. It really could be that simple. Please try this, most doctors just give you drugs just to get you out of the office, because they don't know and really don't want to take the time to find out. I had more then one thing going on, thyroid, perimenopause, and just years of a poor diet. I'm still fighting it, though it is getting much better and after ten years am now able to ween myself off of my Klonopin. Don't ask for that, it is really addictive, and caused me alot of problems. In fact my son-in-law was put on it and wrecked his car!!! REALLY SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN DRIVING! Good luck, I feel for all of you, I went twenty years without any treatment, nearly lost my mind.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #13
jjwc4
(female)

jjwc4 HB User

Perimenopause is just before you are actually in menopause, but it is the time when you have the most hormone swings because things are starting to shut down. So it really is like being on a roller coaster. The stomach trouble could be a couple of things, nervous stomach or your thyroid is low. See an endocrinologist, or just ask your family doctor to check your hormone levels and your thyroid. The thyroid helps with digestion, so when it is low, you have indigestion. See your doctor! And eat less caffeine and bad carbs.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
wrmasylum
(female)

wrmasylum HB Userwrmasylum HB User

what kind of symptoms do you have?

Old 03-08-2007, 04:46 AM   #15
momstheword
(female)

momstheword HB User

Hi friends, I need some words of support. I am going through a period of severe anxiety AGAIN. This has happened on and off for 5 years or so. Last week I was having these dizzy spells and it escalated into me thinking I must have a brain tumor or something. I had a CT scan on Friday and everything was normal but I am in a real tough spot right now. I get up in the morning and I feel so jittery and anxious, my stomach is bothering me, feels full of acid. I am a mess. I started taking Prempro in January and felt great emotionally, but started having cramps and bloating and pain so I quit taking. That was a month ago. I am wondering if I set things back and now am dealing with this anxiety. I have been thinking about some other form of hormone replacement like estrace with some type of progesterone as I still have all my parts. Don't know what to do, but sure could use some encouraging words from my board friends. Thanks, Momstheword

Closed Thread