It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

migraines, wacky hormones,fed up!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #1
cathydownunder
(female)

cathydownunder HB User
migraines, wacky hormones,fed up!

I've had twice monthly 2-3 day migraines for 15-20 years (lucky me!) and have been in perimenopause for 5 years but still getting the headaches. Do any of you ladies get them or found they've had improvement with full menopause?
I was put on progesterone cream and maybe it was coincidence but I never had a migraine for 6 weeks which was a real blessing,then due to vaginal dryness/irritation I started once a week estrogen pessaries and so far in a month I've gone back to 2 monthly migraines. I know BCP's always made the migraines worse but I hoped low dose topical estrogen (Vagifem) wouldn't have the same effect.
I had an endometrial ablation last year for heavy bleeding and fibroids and was hopeful the migraines might ease but no luck.
Can anybody help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
Wizard
(female)

Wizard HB User
Re: migraines, wacky hormones,fed up!

Hi:

I wonder if a pessary is delivering too much estrogen to your entire body and that's the reason for the return of your migraines.

I use a vaginal estrogen cream for dryness/irritation which is low dose but does relieve all the dryness issues. Since it's a cream, it doesn't penetrate beyond the skin area itself so your body isn't receiving more estrogen as a whole. Other forms of estrogen deliver the estrogen to your whole body where it floods into the liver and can cause problems for some women.

Maybe try a cream form of estrogen like Estrace.

Last edited by Wizard; 02-15-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
katidid95
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

cathy:
I have suffered from migraines also and with more frequency when peri hit (though not severe, just annoying). I was a daily red wine drinker, which I stopped and it did help, amazingly. Could there be a food trigger? Also, a couple of years ago I started taking 400 mg of magnesium for peri and found that I rarely now get migraines.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
roland92
(female)

roland92 HB User

Cathy,
I have menstral migraines also. My neurologist suggested 400 mg of B2 for mine (per day) I have been using it for three months and as of today, I believe that it has helped. He also suggested Co-Q10 if the B2 didn't work. I can't take the migraine meds that are used by most people so my doc took the natural route for me. You may want to ask your doctor about the B2 or the Co-Q10. Hope this helps. T.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
cathydownunder
(female)

cathydownunder HB User

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
I'm already taking magnesium for muscle pain and take B2 although in a low dose, I'll increase it I think. Also I don't drink alcohol, not because I'm a wowser but because it gives me bad headaches, and that I don't need! I've been taking Feverfew capsules as a daily preventative for the last 2 months and even they don't seem to be helping.
I'm on day 2 now of another migraine and I can say that last night as I was writhing in pain with my head feeling like it wanted to explode I would have gladly let anyone put me out of my misery. I'm sure anyone who suffers migraines could understand how I feel right now!
I think I'll make an appt with the Gyn that did my ablation and see if he has any suggestions. Thanks again.

Closed Thread