It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Sleepless in Menopause

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
    Lynnmarie418
    (female)

Lynnmarie418 HB User
    Sleepless in Menopause

Does anyone have a sleeping problem? I am having alot of trouble sleeping. I won't sleep good for a few nights then crash and sleep for 12-16 hours.This can not be good for a person's health going through menopause.I remember the nights when I use to be able to sleep at least 8 hours.Now I can't sleep more then 5.Any suggestions?
    Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
    Wizard
    (female)

Wizard HB User
    Re: Sleepless in Menopause

Have you tried using magnesium? It's a natural muscle relaxant and it does help me with sleep. Another option is melatonin although you have to make sure you use it consistently for a number of days at the same time each night for it to be effective.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
    Deeraysmom
    Veteran
    (female)

Deeraysmom HB User

.... lynn ... I'm having the same problem you are........... there are nights that I fall asleep easily and sleep for 4 or 5 hrs... then it's as if someone has switched my brain on.... I can't get back to sleep... just lie there watching the clock... then I have the nights that I can't turn my brain off to fall asleep... I wish I could just get one good nights rest.... .... I don't want to have to depend on sleeping pills to help me... maybe if I get through this peri stage.... I can ( maybe ) get some long needed rest... if you find a cure for this please send it my way... .... best to ya... Dee

Old 02-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
    Barbs45
    (female)

Barbs45 HB User

Me too Lynn,

Some nights I'm awake the whole night,yet another symptom we are having to experience.

Hopefully, we'll all recover from this ordeal in our lives, and feel better soon!

Sweet dreams!
    Barbs.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
    Basket Case
    (female)

Basket Case HB User

Hi everyone, I have the same problem, lots of sleepless nights. Sometimes I sleep for 4 - 5 hours, sometimes I only sleep for 2 hours. Then out of the blue I will sleep all night. However, I have lots more sleepless nights than I do have good nights. My mum suffered the same thing but to this day she still does not sleep very good, she is now 79!!!! I hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel, as I am the same and will not resort to pills to help me sleep. I usually try to read when I can't sleep but sometimes I'm too tired but still can't sleep. I am from England so I find that having a good cup of tea during the night sometimes helps. Anyway, sweet dreams (hopefully)

Old 02-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
    tweter
    (female)

tweter HB User

HI,

I am in the same boat. I do not sleep well and I walk around like a zombie half the time. I work full time so this is getting very old. My boss and my husband look at me like I am nuts sometimes. I feel so tired at night, but just can't seem to sleep...or I go to sleep and wake up for hours at a time. My doctor swears that the hormones he gave me will change all of that. I haven't started on the hormones yet. I take sominex now if I know I have to get some sleep. A friend of mine takes Lunesta, but I haven't taken that step yet. Today I slept half the day away just because I felt so darn tired and that is just not like me at all. Good luck you all . Maybe if we lived in the same area we could call each other so we at least had someone to chat with at 1 a.m....ha...just kidding.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
    DudleysMom
    (female)

DudleysMom HB User

I am a newbie to these boards. I found them by accident, while I was doing a Google search for another topic. But, boy can I relate to this menopause sleep "thing." My body has lost the ability, most nights, to sleep more than 5 hours also. 5 hours, for some reason seems to be the magic number. What upsets me is that I constantly am reading about the ill effects to health caused by not sleeping at least 7 hours per night. But, what are you supposed to do when your body won't sleep 7 hours? Luckily, I don't work. I was able to quit work a few years ago....I was a wreck. Turned out to be thyroid, and perimenopause. I couldn't sleep, and couldn't perform to the best of my ability. The one thing I can suggest is to go with the flow, if you can. I have always been somewhat of a night owl. So, I would rather stay up until 3 a.m. and sleep until 8 a.m., than go to sleep at 11 p.m. and be up at 4 a.m. to start the day. Once the house is quiet, I turn down the lights, crawl into my easy chair, and put in DVD's of old comedy shows. This way, I am not struggling to get to sleep, it just comes on naturally. I will slowly drift off to sleep, awaken after about 20 minutes, get up and crawl right into bed and go right back to sleep. This, at least, removes the stress from trying to get to sleep. I know this kind of schedule won't work for everyone, but maybe someone will be able to modify this idea to work for their own schedule. I also occasionally use a very low dose of Xanax (.25-.5 mg). I don't take it frequently enough to become addicted, but when I need to wind down, it helps take off the edge. If I have gone too many nights without enough sleep, and get sleepy in the middle of the day, I take a nap. I try to sleep whenever my body feels ready, and try not to worry about the time.

Closed Thread