It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

anxiety

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
jacqbu
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User
anxiety

Will this anxiety keep rearing its ugly head? Let me hear your stories. That may help me to feel normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
momstheword
(female)

momstheword HB User
Re: anxiety

The anxiety is the worst! 5 years ago, at 47 I became extremely anxious about my health, thought something was terribly wrong with me. I was in and out of hospital, even had my gall bladder removed, thought I had pancreatic cancer, REALLY awful. I have always been pretty much "together" before that time. My husband and kids were really set back. I came out of that episode and in the past five years have had smaller episodes of anxiety. My hot flashes became nearly unbearable this past fall. I teach at a University and I would be up in front of the class and suddenly sweat would be dripping down my back and on my upper lip, really disconcerting. SOOOOO, in January 07 I started taking the lowest dose of Prem-pro, every other day. My Mood improved overnight. I felt normal, but then I started having terrible lower back pain and I felt really bloated and very uncomfortable, so I stopped taking on Feb 9. NOW I am going through withdrawal I think. I am really anxious and jittery, dizzy spells, stomach is killing me and I have all these health concerns back. I am a mess. I don't know if it can be attributed to the taking of hormone for a few weeks and then off, but probably. I'm not sure what to do. I am thinking about checking into bio-identicals at a very low dose. I keep thinking may-be I'm getting close to the end of menopause problems since it has been over five years but I don't know what to do.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
Diane817
(female)

Diane817 HB User

I had a complete hysterectomy 12 years ago. I have had problems since then every now and then with this feeling of panic when I awaken. It's been happening the last few mornings. It drives me nuts. I have no reason to be in a panic yet there it is. My stomach is all nervous feeling and I feel this flight or fight thing going on. I hope it goes away. I know I am going to try using bio-identical I just haven't gotten there yet. If this keeps happening though I'll be there sooner than I was planning. :-)
Take care and I hope everyone has a nice day.
Diane

Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
momstheword
(female)

momstheword HB User

Thanks for your reply Diane, I really need to hear from all you people who are going through the same thing. I need that connection because it makes me feel somewhat normal in the un-normal of menopause. It can be so lonely and scary when all these feelings are coming on and when you try to explain them people they just look at you as if you are a kook. It's all about these fluctuating hormones. Take care and have a good day, I have to attend a funeral today of a wonderful woman, age 55, who died of cancer of the lining of the heart. Makes my anxiety level go way up. MJM

Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
katidid95
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

momstheword:
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Having someone close to us die can be really tough. Not just the normal sadness, but causing anxiety about our own health, etc. I've always been a "together" person also. About 2 years ago my uncle (whom I loved dearly) committed suicide. We found out afterwards that he had had heart surgery and had developed prostate cancer (had kept everything from the family). I had mild peri symptoms, but not long after his death I spiraled almost out of control with anxiety and just feeling like I was going to die...racing heart, palpitations, dizzyness, headache, fatigue and horrible insomnia, cold chills, etc. I went to the emergency room, my doctor and a cardiologist. I finally figured out on my own that it was peri and sought out a dr. that uses more natural remedies including bioidentical hormones. They have helped tremendously. I have had my dose adjusted once, but should probably get checked again at some point. A few nights ago, my husband was out of town and I was alone and darned if I didn't feel panicky when I was trying to go to sleep. Very annoying! I'm a big girl - I CAN be alone, okay? Ha! Believe me you are not alone in your feelings - no matter what your doctor says. I hope you can find something that will make you feel better!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
katidid95
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

Oops, meant to address to the original poster jacqbu

Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
cyndi7729
(female)

cyndi7729 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqbu View Post
Will this anxiety keep rearing its ugly head? Let me hear your stories. That may help me to feel normal.
I am 44 years old and last summer I had a complete meltdown. I am not nor have I ever been an anxious person. However, for a few months before my meltdown I noticed that certian situations would make me feel very anxious. Then I started to focus on my health constantly. I had irritable bowel for years, but that had actually gotten better. I started feeling like something just wasn't right. One day I notice my thumb was twitching, no big deal, but then it was my eye, and one day it was my and my thumb, and then one day it was my arm. So, being the dummy that I am I typed in twitching muscles on web md. and the first thing to come up was ALS! That was a fear I'd had since I had first heard of this horrible disease when I was a teenager. Well then my whole body started twitching and I mean all the time. It was like popcorn was popping all throughout my body. I lived like this, really thinking that I had ALS and twitching constantly for a few months, until finally I went to my midwife for my yearly and she put me on lexapro for 6 months and now I am back to normal. I haven't taken anything in almost a year and I'm doing okay. But every so often when my hormones are really bad I will feel anxious, but nothing like before. It may hit me again, but this time I won't be so quick to pronounce myself terminally ill. Hope this strange story of mine helps.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
jacqbu
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies. Mine started about 3 years ago. I am 45 years old. I had such a bad bout of depression back then and like most of you thought I had some horrible health problem. I had the nausea, anxiety, insomnia, dizziness, weight loss from not being able to eat, etc. Went from dr. to dr. to no avail. I ended up on zoloft and took it for about a year then came off of it. I have zanax for the panic attacks now and due to knowledge of what is going on can cope better. These boards help a lot. I question the doctor more now when I go instead of just going along with what he says.

Closed Thread