It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Provera

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
sassygrrl32
(female)

sassygrrl32 HB User
Provera

I would like to know if anyone else has taken this and if so, how it did and if it helped, etc.
I posted a short time ago about being really late, spotting, etc. Finally started and it lasted for 12 days, stopped then started back up again for a couple of days(this time it was just black). NOw it looks like it's stopping again. I'm 38.
I had an appt. Went to the Dr, she prescribed Provera for 10 days then I go back in two weeks for an ultrasound. Hopefully, everything will be fine there.
I do know I absolutely don't want to take any of those drugs that cause heart attack, stroke, etc. for the long term.
I have family history of heart disease from both Mom and Dad. I have tachycardia. Other than that healthy. Can't figure why I'm having problems with my period.

Anyway, anyone else taken this short term for period problems? Did it help? Any side effects? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Deeraysmom
Veteran
(female)

Deeraysmom HB User
Re: Provera

Sassy talk to your dr about switching you to prometrium instead of provera ....... provera is a man-made harmone and studies have found it to linked to certian diseases like heart disease and breast cancer ... best to ya ........ Dee

Old 03-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
marian100
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

i was on a progesterone supplement for about 3 years. i would start it on the 21st day of my cycle and take it for 6 days. (i was supposed to take it for 7). then within 1 to 3 days after i stopped it. my period would start. it was shorter and lighter than before the supplements. it worked well for me and i had no problem with it. hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
sassygrrl32
(female)

sassygrrl32 HB User

Thanks for the replies. This is only a short term thing. She said after the ultrasound we can talk about managing the problem.
This is the first time I've had a problem with my period continuing for that many days. I'm normally 3 days and that's it. My period has never been abnormally heavy. On occasion on the first day(within the first couple of hrs) it will be pretty heavy then after that it's pretty normal I guess. I only change tampons about 6 hrs, sometimes 4. I'm guessing that's pretty normal.
She prescribed it so my period would stop completely for now then in ten days she said it would start back up again and I should have a normal period then they will do the ultrasound.
My only complaint is that my hormone levels have not been tested. Someone on here suggested I get the DR to do that. I can't seem to get any DR to test my hormone levels. THey take down my symptoms, etc. and make an educated guess as to what the problem is and in this case it's progesterone deficiency. Too little of it, anyway. And maybe she's been dealing with it long enough to know that that's more than likely the problem and I don't have insurance so maybe no reason to give me excess cost.

I guess my chief complaint is if this continues I don't want to have to be on this provera or any other hormone for the long term unless it's gets so bad I have to. But I'm taking into consideration family history of heart disease, I have to work very, very hard to maintain my own cholesterol levels. I know I'm going to have to work 3, 4, 5 times harder than Mom or Dad ever has to avoid heart disease and statins and may not be able to avoid statins so I don't want anything that's going to tip the scale further into heart diseases favor.
I maintain a very tough diet with very little fat and a walking regimen of 5 to 7 miles a day to keep high cholesterol and heart disease at bay.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I called DR but she said take the provera.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Deeraysmom
Veteran
(female)

Deeraysmom HB User

Try looking into natural progestrone cream ...... [removed] ... it has helped alot of women on here...Dee

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-08-2007 at 11:49 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Closed Thread