It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Depression ????

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Deeraysmom
Veteran
(female)

Deeraysmom HB User
Depression ????

Do any of you suffer depression now that you are going through menopause ? I went to dr today because I have gotten where I just don't want to get out of bed ..... but I also suffer from insomnia ... he said I was probably in a state of depression ... he gave me cymbalta .... do you think it will help .... just want to hear some input from anyone that has gone through this .... thanks .... Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Barbs45
(female)

Barbs45 HB User
Re: Depression ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeraysmom View Post
Do any of you suffer depression now that you are going through menopause ? I went to dr today because I have gotten where I just don't want to get out of bed ..... but I also suffer from insomnia ... he said I was probably in a state of depression ... he gave me cymbalta .... do you think it will help .... just want to hear some input from anyone that has gone through this .... thanks .... Dee
Hi there,

I can really sympathise with you, I'm also experiencing bouts of depression.
Unlike yourself, I'm not on any medication for depression, as I'm on enough at the moment, with other related illnesses due to the menopause.

I too suffer from insomnia, it really is a bad time for most of us here, keep posting and keep in touch.
It's good to know you are not alone, and people here really do understand how you're feeling.

Take care,
Barbs.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Deeraysmom
Veteran
(female)

Deeraysmom HB User

Thanks Barbs....... i guess we all have different things happening to our bodies while we're going through peri ........but to go from having aniexty attacks ( where I just want to come out of my skin ) to I could care less about whats going on around me is quite .... if it was left up to me I would just as soon be wrapped in a cocoon away from the world ...... what's a woman to do ??????? just and bear it I guess ....... best wishes ........ Dee

Old 03-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
Barbs45
(female)

Barbs45 HB User

Hi Dee,

You really are not alone, I can identify with everything you are saying.

I myself have had to take time out from work at the moment, just wasn't coping with anything in my life.

I think it was coming to the realisation of accepting that I was struggling big time.

All I can say Dee is do what you can, and don't have too high expectations of yourself, and if others don't understand, then tough!

I feel a bit better accepting that this episode in my life, will hopefully come to an end soon.

Try to remain positive,

Take care,
Barbs.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Beppie1
(female)

Beppie1 HB User

I also had sleep issues that screwed up my hormones even more. It led to a lack of stamina and energy which was depressing to say the least. Exercise was always my savior and back up plan to feel good. It was entirely joyless for the last two years as I had no get up and go. About three weeks ago, it came back. I am 55 and had a period last July and Dec.

So many things seem to happen with menopause it is no wonder women get depressed and gain weight, are moody etc. Natural hormones/bioidenticals helped me for awhile. You can have your hormones tested through a saliva test and then get the proper natural supplement.

Hope this helps. Hang in! The good news is it does end some day.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
Alabasterlyn
(female)

Alabasterlyn HB User

I also have been suffering with depression and insomnia. The depression started during peri menopause and the insomnia came on when I started getting the hot flushes during the menopause. I get quite scared when I get depressed as it just seems to come over me for no apparent reason, hang around for days or weeks and then just goes. As for the insomnia I haven't slept through the night for about 4/5yrs now and it's really awful

Last edited by Alabasterlyn; 03-12-2007 at 02:51 AM.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
oceandreams
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabasterlyn View Post
I also have been suffering with depression and insomnia. The depression started during peri menopause and the insomnia came on when I started getting the hot flushes during the menopause. I get quite scared when I get depressed as it just seems to come over me for no apparent reason, hang around for days or weeks and then just goes. As for the insomnia I haven't slept through the night for about 4/5yrs now and it's really awful

This sounds exactly like me, I'm so glad to hear someone else can relate. Depression that comes out of nowhere, then just suddenly leaves, and terrible insomnia most nights. The depression scares me too, I have absolutely no control over it, never know when it's going to hit and how long it will stick around. I also get bouts of anxiety, but they're nothing compared to the awful depression. I hope this all ends soon, before I totally lose my mind.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Diane817
(female)

Diane817 HB User

I think what you probably need is not anti-depressants but HRT (Hormone replacement therapy) instead. A safe HRT, Bio-identical. It's like what our bodies produce and we need those hormones to feel like we did before menopause. They can help tremedously. I hope you look into it and find the answers you need. If you don't, I hope the Cymbalta works for you. Life can be hard enough without feeling terrible.
Take care. Diane

Old 03-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
lilypad1
(female)

lilypad1 HB User

Dear Dee,i'm curious,have you tried other anti-depressants?What other medications do you take.I too suffer from the grips of depression occasionally.I'm afraid to go on a anti-depressant had very bad side effect from Effexor.I.m all for trying some natural remedies first.I do understand what you are going through,just to let you know,your certainly not alone.Please let us know how you are doing.Sincerely lilypad

Closed Thread