It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Non-bleed HRT made me bleed (plus my story)

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
jazzybee
(female)

jazzybee HB User
Non-bleed HRT made me bleed (plus my story)

I apologise this is so long, but it's all warranted.

At the age of 43, after suffering horrendously heavy periods for many years, (which were now occurring every two weeks) I asked the doctor if I could have a hysterectomy. She said these ops weren't carried out lightly unless there was something wrong with me. Tests for thyroid, fybroids, endometriosis etc etc were carried out over a period of two years, but everything came back negative.

At the age of 45, it was decided that I would have the Mirena coil fitted. After five years, I began to smell "down there" (vaginosis), so I had it taken out. The first period after that was fairly normal, but the second one was the worst I'd ever had in my life. I was at work at the time and I could feel the blood just gushing so much that I hardly dare walk.

Someone very kindly took me home and I saw the doctor the next day. She rushed me through for a D & C before I reached my next period, and I haven't bled since (that was three years ago).

About a week after the D & C, I started hot flushes with a vengeance. They were very very uncomfortable and I felt my whole body was leaking sweat! The flushes were preceded by an overwhelming feeling of fatigue, so I knew when they were coming on.

I begged and begged my GP for HRT, but twice, she refused. At the third request, she said if I hadn't been period-free for a year, it would bring my periods back. THIS I DIDN'T WANT, so I waited.

As soon as the blood-free year was up, I was back in the surgery! The doctor agreed to give me a low dose of HRT but as I left the surgery, she said to me "I don't agree with HRT, I'm a doctor, and I wouldn't take it"! I took it, and within ten days, my temperature had dropped and I felt fabulous.

Just before I was due to go for my second prescription, I started to bleed (and this went on every day for four weeks). It got worse and worse (flooding and clotting, all over the bed at night).

At is happens, my blood pressure had risen so high that my GP said I would have to stop taking the tablets.

So, now I have the lesser of two evils. No periods, but the horrible hot flushes are back. HEY HO !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
jazzybee
(female)

jazzybee HB User
Re: Non-bleed HRT made me bleed (plus my story)

Well, thanks for the support, everyone! It took me a long time to pluck up the courage to pour out all that personal information, and although I'll bet a lot have read it, not one has bothered to comment.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
liverpool sue
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

maybe the other ladies on the board are a little like me on this one jazz, wondering what support you're looking for?
i've not had any experience of the things you mentioned in your previous post so can't really help, sorry.
hope you feel a bit better having got it all off your chest though!!

sue

Old 03-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
jazzybee
(female)

jazzybee HB User
Thumbs down Re: Non-bleed HRT made me bleed (plus my story)

Thanks for leaving a comment, Sue.

That just proves that menopause can be a lonely old game!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
liverpool sue
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

it certainly can, jazz. we all have a lot to deal with at times.
what is it, specifically, that bothers you most at the moment? a lot of ladies (myself included) have developed high blood pressure (seem to be fighting a losing battle with it at the moment), and just about everyone seems to have the abnormal periods.
for me, the last week or so, it's sleeplessness. i bought some valerian tablets from the health food place, which haven't done a thing. today i feel like i'm jet lagged. think i'll persevere with the valerian though, don't want to start taking sleeping pills.

sue

Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
Btoons
(female)

Btoons HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzybee View Post
I begged and begged my GP for HRT, but twice, she refused. At the third request, she said if I hadn't been period-free for a year, it would bring my periods back. THIS I DIDN'T WANT, so I waited.

As soon as the blood-free year was up, I was back in the surgery! The doctor agreed to give me a low dose of HRT but as I left the surgery, she said to me "I don't agree with HRT, I'm a doctor, and I wouldn't take it"! I took it, and within ten days, my temperature had dropped and I felt fabulous.

I'm a little bit concerned about your doctor's personal opinion... How old is she? Has she herself entered this phase yet, in the middle of it or beyond it?

I do understand why doctors are hesitant on a variety of platforms, but I wonder if it is mostly medical 'liability' should a patient later make claims? I also wonder if some of the physical 'symptoms' themselves can lead to health problems if left untreated...certainly they do if patients seek antidepressants, tranquilizers, via other specialized physicians etc. in order to simply function.

I am enraged though by either female physicians who have yet to reach this life stage making personal opinion summary judgment calls for their patients or male physicians doing the same.

To bleed or not to bleed, what are the criteria (other than her suggesting she's waiting for some kind of horrendous disease or other neatly cataloged and accepted physically deviant condition) that your physician refused to permit you a partial hysterectomy? At least womb removal to stop period bleed which does seem to me to be wreckless disregard for possible severe anemia or worse, a bleed-out.

Am I off course here ??? I apologize, but this just makes me boil (and not from hot flashes either)! This physician needs to give you SOME kind of relief or find out what kinds of options will best permit you to function other than saying NO NO NO!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
lilypad1
(female)

lilypad1 HB User

Dear Jazzy,hope things are settling down for you!Were you ever prescribed blood pressure medication?Do you take any other medications or supplements?I take Inderal for high bp(apparently it is also prescribed for some women for hot flashes)also take Omega 3's,multivitamin,vitamin b supplements.These have been helping me,however i am having some problems with hot flashes,these are new to me.Anyway don't know if any of this helps you,but i just wanted to share.All the best to you sincerely lily

Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
osteoblast
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Jazzy- You have certainly been through alot. It must have frightened you, all the bleeding . And it is agonizing to seek medical help and feel that what the doctor has advised is in fact making things worse yet. You stated that you feel so lonely through this. In your anguish you can be absolutely certain that even at that precise moment that others are feeling that suffering and even worse suffering. Look through these healthboards just at the moment it feels so dire-check out the death and dying board, look at the numerous cancer boards breast, prostate, ovarian etc. etc.. Perhaps your pain can be used to open your heart to yourself and others in a way that you have not experienced before.

Last edited by osteoblast; 04-23-2007 at 10:23 AM.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
jazzybee
(female)

jazzybee HB User

Thanks to everyone who replied. In answer to Btoons, my GP is in her 30's, so, no, she hasn't yet entered into the phase of menopause! God help her when she does!

I am still suffering the hot flushes, but have recently got my head into gear and am starting to lose weight. I would say I have about 28 lbs to lose, and just getting started makes the confidence rise.

I have been reading about how Black Cohosh and Red Clover are supposed to help with hot flushes. I will visit the health shop tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
menoblues
(female)

menoblues HB User

I've been taking red clover for almost 2 years. I helps minimize the hot flashes and night sweats, which allows me to sleep. Recently it seems to be less effective, so I took tips from a couple of friends. I cut my coffee consumption in half (I was only having 1 or 2 cups a day) and I cut back red wine to only 3 or 4 times a week. I was drinking it daily with my evening meal. The flashes and sweats are noticably less now.

Closed Thread