It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• mustache question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User
    mustache question

What do you do to get rid of it?

I've been using cream for the last couple years about every 2-3 weeks.

Is this going to be life-long now?

If so what's best for long term?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
    liverpool sue
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

liverpool sue HB User
    Re: mustache question

i used to use cream, them i had it (and the chin hair) waxed. one time i went, they nearly ripped my face off too, so i stopped going. then i went back to cream, but my skin became very sensitive to it (i have acne rosacea and really funny skin) so i stopped using that about 2 years ago and now i just pluck. i have a very strong magnification mirror and bought a good pair of tweezers and find that, so long as i do some every day, i can keep on top of it. i dread to think what i'd look like if something happens and i can't to it for a while. i really, really detest this facial hair and looked into having it electically zapped, permanently, but the price was prohibitive and there was no guarantee it wouldn't return. because i have such a lot of facial hair i would have needed loads of treatments too.
    misty, if you come up with some miracle cure, please let me know!!!!!

sue

Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

i too pluck most of my upper lip and chin hair. i shave the area just under my nose and upper lip. i have found that the outer part of my eyebrows seem to be growing around and under my eyes onto the top of my cheekbones. i just shave that too. isn't this fun? you will probably have to do this the rest of your life. luckily the hair turns gray but it gets coarse and some of those suckers hang on for dear life. God Bless and keep laughing

Old 05-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
    johnkansas
    (male)

johnkansas HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liverpool sue View Post
    i really, really detest this facial hair and looked into having it electically zapped, permanently, but the price was prohibitive and there was no guarantee it wouldn't return. because i have such a lot of facial hair i would have needed loads of treatments too.
    misty, if you come up with some miracle cure, please let me know!!!!!
    There isn't any miracle cure for hormonally-driven facial hair. Best to face it head-on and get a decent men's-type electric razor. The Norleco/Philishave range are about the best, my wife claims and she's been using them for many years.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
    katidid95
    Veteran
    (female)

katidid95 HB User

About 5-6 years ago, my peach fuzz just seemed to get more noticeable, especially my upper lip and chin. I HATED it. When I was at the dermatologist for something else, I asked about laser removal, but because it's not dark I'm not a candidate. So I read up on facial waxing and finally went for it about a year ago. The young woman who was cutting my hair was also doing facial waxing. The first time was hard because I just had so darn much peach fuzz. We even did the sides of my face. I was pink until the next day and even had small welts. I read later that calamine lotion works well and used it the next few times. But after having it done a few times, I never had that much irritation. Now I just get a little pink. I even stopped at the grocery store on the way home last time (really just didn't care!) I also got a prescription from the dermatologist for Vaniqua. It's a cream and does not remove hair, but keeps it from growing back faster. It takes a while to notice a difference, but I do think it works. Now I'm getting the waxing done every 4 weeks when I get my hair trimmed (I have short hair so go pretty often) and it works out well that way. I could probably even do it after 3 weeks, but try to stretch it out. The fuzz on my cheeks isn't that noticeable, so we do it about every other time. This works for me because my hair is fair because you do have to let it grow out a little to re-wax.

So if you choose another form of hair removal, you might ask your Dr. about Vaniqua. My health insurance does not cover it. It costs about $65 for a smallish tube. At first I used it twice a day, being careful about how much I applied and it lasted 2-3 months. Now I just use it at night, so it lasts even longer.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
    liverpool sue
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

liverpool sue HB User

for myself, it's not the peach fuzz that bothers me, it's the tough, stiff hairs. they're that tough that they snap sometimes when using tweezers. and although i'm fair, about half of the spikey hairs are black. i also have some hairs round my nipples, and down my inner thighs too.
    the vaniqua cream sounds good, i've never heard of it over here but think i'll ask about it next time i go to the doctor.
    i haven't noticed any difference now that my periods have stopped altogether, still get the same, or even more, facial hair. i guess i'm just one of those who will be a bearded old lady!

sue

Old 05-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

hi all....my first waxing i had burns because lip was so bad. have been doing it for many years now. all of a sudden i get a cold sore on one side evertytime ihave it done because of the hot wax and tearing. can't tweeze as i just can't see that good anymore am looking for one of those small hand held electrolosis type of things i see advertized especially for the lip and brow. ther are 100's and i don't want to spend alot of money but want one that works. antone ever try one or know anything about them? it appears that shaving the lip works best??????

ICC

Old 05-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
    colleen617
    (female)

colleen617 HB User

I've had a mustache since I was 14! From that time on, every week I would use Neet depilatory cream. Many times I left it on too long and it would leave burn marks!

Fortunately, now that I'm middle aged, the hair doesn't grow back as much as it used to do. Now, the tweezers work pretty well.

Now, the major area that needs tackling is my chin. I told my sister that this is getting to be a full time job! Like the other responder, I also hope that nothing happens because I'd probably have a goatee!

The good thing is that you'll get used to it and just do what you need to do to contain it.

Take care!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
    eternal21
    (female)

eternal21 HB User

egads!! I went to the dentist today for a crown. he wanted to show me how well the new crown looked with my other teeth..ALL I saw was all these hairs!! (In the mag. mirror!)I know he didnt think I appreciated his work as he kept telling the helper "she just wants to get out of here" I didnt want to tell him it was all the hairs!!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
    vuitton
    (female)

vuitton HB User

Soooo, at what age does this start to happen,please!

Old 06-15-2007, 06:19 AM   #11
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User

I've used Sally Hansen Facial Hair Remover for the last 10 years. I have very very sensitive skin and have had absolutely no problems with this product. Just be sure to use it according to the instructions. I use it above the lip once per week and on the bottom half of my face (below the cheekbones) every other week.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
    Gavi112
    (female)

Gavi112 HB User

I have had a problem with mustache and goatee beard since I was in my early 30's and as I am black haired if I had let the hair grow I could have been in the circus!

I started out by using hair removing cream every month but after a couple of years every time I used it it looked as if I had severe burns, and felt like it as well so bad I couldn't leave the house for a week. I then tried waxing and had exactly same reaction and was told not to have it done again.

Much as I hate to admit it I just bought a mans electric shaver and every morning shave like my husband!!! Only problem is if you are somewhere where other people can hear the shaver - make out I'm doing my legs.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
    korgiee
    Inactive
    (female)

korgiee HB User

At my gyno's office they do laser hair removal. it's 130.00 at 3 sessions each and it removed all the hairs on my chin. I am 51 and I said enough is enough with this tweezing. it was worth every penny. Gone forever, no pain. I just had to let the hairs grow out for about a week. Have it done for your self. You are worth it and you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago. Alyce

Old 06-23-2007, 07:21 AM   #14
    loveagolden
    (female)

loveagolden HB User

I've been bleaching for years & getting really tired of it. I am 51 in peri. I thought about laser but they said it is just a reduction & would need touching up 2/year after initial 3-4 sessions. I am getting serious about electrolysis, but haven't quite gotten up the courage for that first appointment. I want this gone permanently!!

Closed Thread