It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Compound pharmacy hrt vs standard

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
colleen617
(female)

colleen617 HB User
Compound pharmacy hrt vs standard

Hi, all!

This is first post! I quit vivelle dot estrogen & synthetic progestin one month ago. (Progestin put me in severe depression). Dr. suggested that if I couldn't stand it, to look into compounding pharmacy where they tailor hormones to the individual.

Has anybody done this, and if so, was it worth it? Thanks.

Last edited by colleen617; 04-02-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Btoons
(female)

Btoons HB User
Re: Compound pharmacy hrt vs standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen617 View Post
Hi, all!

This is first post! I quit vivelle dot estrogen & synthetic progestin one month ago. (Progestin put me in severe depression). Dr. suggested that if I couldn't stand it, to look into compounding pharmacy where they tailor hormones to the individual.

THis is going to sound dumb, but what is a 'compounding pharmacy'? I've never heard of this and how do they 'tailor' hormones? Wouldn't you have to have your levels tested first?

Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
liverpool sue
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

that's a really good question, btoons. as far as i'm aware, we don't have 'compounding pharmacies' in the uk, the only place i've heard them talked about is here on this board. i just assumed it was an american thing - obviously not if you've not heard about them either. i'd be very interested to know more about them, and how they tailor things to individual needs. i wonder if it's what we here in england would call a health food shop? or a herbalist? our pharmacies, as far as i know, dispense medicine from prescription or give advice, although i've never actually asked about 'compounding' - whatever that means!!
as i say, i'd be really interested to know more about it.

sue

Old 04-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
colleen617
(female)

colleen617 HB User

Compounding pharmacy is where the pharmacist mixes bio-identical ("natural hormone replacement") hormones tailored to the individual. The pharmacist consults with client about symptoms and then has blood test to see levels of hormones. Based on symptoms & blood test, pharmacist then faxes doc with recommendations, and doc writes a prescription. Pharmacist then mixes different hormones for that person. I have an appt. so if there's more info, I will pass it on.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Btoons
(female)

Btoons HB User

Quote:
Compounding pharmacy is where the pharmacist mixes bio-identical ("natural hormone replacement") hormones tailored to the individual. The pharmacist consults with client about symptoms and then has blood test to see levels of hormones. Based on symptoms & blood test, pharmacist then faxes doc with recommendations, and doc writes a prescription. Pharmacist then mixes different hormones for that person. I have an appt. so if there's more info, I will pass it on.
Yes, I definitely want more information!

Isn't this what we should ALL demand for crying out loud! I just drafted a letter to both my primary and gyn physicians permitting my husband to be included in all discussions, documentation, etc. AND asked whether or not screening for hormonal levels including estrogen and all adrenal hormones could be done in order to ascertain whether I had an imbalance, a deficiency or other problems and whether KNOWING this would affect other health issues.

Not at any time, during ANY testing even before being prescribed HRT (in my case Premarin) was this done, nor was it suggested.

Every woman is different in her own universal body demands and usage. SO should this have been the very first method of adapting to each of those unique physiologies.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
marian100
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

the problem with blood tests for hormones is that the hormones fluctuate and they are not totally reliable. i have found a compound pharmacy in my area but i don't have a doctor that deals with it. oh well. i am totally off of any replacement at this time. that includes otc. hopefully this will settle down soon. God bless

Old 04-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
katidid95
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

About 2 years ago I sought a gyno that deals with bioidentical hormones (I've since moved and had to find another). We tested my hormone levels with a saliva test that I purchased from her office. You do the test at home and mail it into the lab. They send the results to the Dr. who will then write a prescription depending on your hormone levels or lack thereof (mine were all deficient). The cost varies depending on how many hormones you are testing. The first one I did included estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA and cortisol. I think it was $150-200. Yes, it's expensive. I think my insurance covered part of it, but not all. And I have yet to get them to accept to pay for my compounded hormones. Anyway, if you don't have a doctor that will do this, and IF you can find a compounding pharmacy, you might inquire if the pharmacist can read the results of your test for you and recommend the prescription, which you can then get thru your Dr. (You can buy the saliva tests on line, just do a search.) My pharmacy actually mails may hormones to me (I'm still using the same one from before I moved.) Don't know if that can be done to the UK, but you'd still need to get the testing done. It makes it easier if you can find a gyno in the first place that is on board with all of this. We have to be our own advocates because there aren't any drug companies out there that can make a buck off us poor menopausal women except with the nasty HRT that is currently on the market.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
Isis498
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Hi, all!

Since the Vivelle Dot is Bioidentical already, why not just add a bioidentical progesterone, Promentrium, instead of using the synthetic? The synthetic is harder for some women to tolerate. That way you would be using all bioidentical.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
colleen617
(female)

colleen617 HB User

Thx for response. I did try Prometrium for two months but never got a period. As a result, I ended up with hyperplasia. (real bummer)

Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
CINDERELLA
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User

what happens when you decide to come off the bio identicals, ive heard it just delays menopause?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #11
colleen617
(female)

colleen617 HB User

I'm not sure. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Old 04-16-2007, 04:35 AM   #12
rheanna
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINDERELLA View Post
what happens when you decide to come off the bio identicals, ive heard it just delays menopause?
There is a discussion at:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=474533[/url]
"does HRT postpone the inevitable"

--Rheanna

Closed Thread