It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Is perimenopause the fast track to old age?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User
    Is perimenopause the fast track to old age?

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of this freaking peri-menopause.... does it EVER get better? I thought Lexapro would get me through this, and maybe I'd feel even WORSE if I wasn't taking it, but I STILL have weeks were I feel like complete crap! Nausea, bloating--- GOD I HATE THIS BLOATING

I've been going through this for over two years now. I am 44 and will be 45 this year. I feel like life is just down hill from here. I hate being so down, I know attitude is everything..... but my body is not cooperating!

I feel ancient.

I wonder if the younger you are when you start peri-meno... the faster you get OLD??? Is it better when we are finally IN menopause??? PLEASE somebody say YES.

This sucks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User
    Re: Is perimenopause the fast track to old age?

I am 52 and have been in peri for 8 years. I have only had one period 2 periods in the last 11 months. The last one was in Jan. My worst symptom for the last 3 years is anxiety. I just started night sweats without the sweats in the past 6 months and they seem to be leaving. I still get an occasional hot flash. Other than that I do seem to be seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it's not a train. God bless

Old 05-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
    deinee
    Inactive
    (female)

deinee HB User

Marian,
    I about wet myself when you said you see a light at the end of a tunnel, hope it's not a train! How true! Some days I wish it were a train and it would hit me and end this peri crap. Misty, we are all with you. It's got to get better, right? Ann

Old 05-19-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Here is what I wonder/worry about.....

Let's say you don't go into peri until 49 or 50.... well, we all get there. But what about people like me who go into peri at younger ages, 42-- do we age faster in general?? It would have been nice to make it to 50 without this crap.

Am I making any sense?

I'm hoping since I went in to it earlier, I'll get out of it earlier..... but still, I feel like I was robbed of a few good estrogen years, lol.... I can't believe what I'm typing.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
    deinee
    Inactive
    (female)

deinee HB User

I was in my late 30's when I started with heart palps, the first sign for me of peri. I am 52, still fighting a multitude of symptoms, new ones all the time. The scary thing is that many women are 2,3,4 years post menopause and still having alot of symptoms. I always thought when you hit that magical one year mark without a period that all the problems just disappear. I think things will improve, but without our normal supply of estrogen we are always going to have some problems. I am sure HRT helps in many ways but it is not an option for everyone. It's hell to get old, but the other alternative isn't so great either! Hang in there. Ann

Last edited by deinee; 05-19-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
    MmeLeota
    (female)

MmeLeota HB User

well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I started peri in 1997 when my mom passed away...I was peri for 7 years and am now 3 years post...still have some symptoms but not nearly as bad as they were...
    still get a little anxious sometimes but its only maybe once a month instead of daily.
    Still get the heart flutters but then I take a Cal/Mag and they calm down.
    Only wake up in the middle of the night about once a week where it takes me 20 min. or so to get back to sleep (much better than the hour or 2 that it used to take and it would have at least twice per night)
    Still can't get rid of the total of 20 pounds that I gained over 8 years..then the 20 more I gained from quiting smoking 4 years ago. I am walking a mile every day and still not able to lose but maybe a pound or 2 per week. So of course I still have the dreaded Bloat every meal!
    So all in all I am much better than I was 3 years ago, but from what I've heard its not like a magic wand waving thing and poof you're normal again...I think this IS the new normal for me.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
    deinee
    Inactive
    (female)

deinee HB User

I am hearing more and more from many women in post menopause the same thing you talked about Leota. I Don't think I will ever look or feel the same way I did before this peri mess. I am going to have to accept the changes, hopefully some of the symptoms will not hang around, but some may. The weight problem is a tough one. I would really like to lose 15 pounds, I think it might help the heart palps that drive me crazy. Dear Dr. Oz says we should all be able to weight what we did in college! Who is he kidding? I looked at several pictures of myself recently and really didn't know who that old, fat woman in the picture was. But, I was holding my beautiful 9 month old granddaughter and thought I would take all 34 menopause symptoms and more just to be here and with her. I still plan on moaning about all my symptoms though! Ann

Old 05-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
    liverpool sue
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

liverpool sue HB User

yes, i too believe that post menopausal is the new 'normal'. when you think of the hormonal changes and the way we age, say, between the ages of 15 and 25, then think of the peri stage and the post menopausal stage taking the same length of time, 10 years or so, and the hormonal changes taking place, then it's really not surprising that we feel so completely different when we've been through 'the change'. if you see what i mean!!
    we don't expect to feel the same at 15 as we do at 25, so i guess it's fairly rational to not expect to feel the same at 45 as we do at 55, given all that goes on during that 10 years.
    i think i must be having a brain fog day as even i don't understand what i'm trying to say now, although it made complete sense to me when i started this post!!!!!!!
    BUT... i certainly don't think it's a fast track to old age (the title of this thread). we're as old as we feel, and as old as our attitude to life. for me, some days it's 90, and some days it's 18. trouble is, when i feel 18 in my mind, it's the body that let's me know i'm not. oh joy!!!

sue

Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
    colleen617
    (female)

colleen617 HB User

I am 55 -- became post menopausal while taking hrt from age 51 on -- went off hrt for 2 months -- could not believe all the symptoms I experienced -- just awful -- feel like I've aged 20 years -- back on hrt but not working as well as before yet.

Was depressed before went off hrt -- then experienced depression like no other off hrt --thought I was ready to die.

Still not feeling great -- doc says try Lexapro but I have history of anxiety/panic and read that these are side effects.

On a positive note, it seems that everyone's experience with peri/meno is different (my sister had not one problem). There is always reason to hope that the situation will improve.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Colleen,

Lexapro really helped with my anxiety. It was either that or I was going to self medicate with alcohol, because I couldn't take the anxiety/mood swings. It really did make a difference. Maybe give it a try? The side effects aren't bad either.... it's not a cure all... but something I found to be helpful.

I'm still trying to find a way to embrace my inner old lady but at least I'm not AS bad with the anxiety.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
    Wizard
    (female)

Wizard HB User

I don't think it's the fast track to old age.

I look at my mother and yes, in her 50's she had a few rough years but at 78, she could outwork anyone in the room. She's a powerhouse.

When peri started for me a couple of years ago, it was misery. I could barely make it through each day. Between headaches, zapping in my head, heart palpitations, numbness, tingling in my hands and feet, anxiety, nausea...the list was endless, I thought I was falling apart.

About a 1.5 years into it, I added a series of vitamins and minerals to my regiment, added in weight training, added in natural progesterone cream and today, I feel like my old normal self. I still get a few days mid cycle where I feel some weird twinges but nothing I can't live with and ignore.

My sister started peri shortly after she turned 40 and has decided to rough her way through it. No extra exercise, vitamins or natural supplements. She's not having a picnic.

Last edited by Wizard; 05-24-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
    Beppie1
    (female)

Beppie1 HB User

Boy, I am desperate for some good news. I am 55 and had periods until about a year ago. The biggest symptoms I have are lack of stamina, muscle tightness/achiness and sleep problems.

I am/was an athlete, but my running has stunk so bad in the last three years I had to stop competing. I really hate that. I am hoping to God, there is a light, not a train, at the end of the tunnel.

I have tried it all--bioidenticals, vitamins, minerals, progesterone cream etc. Last testing in March, all my hormone levels were still elevated, but not as high as a year ago. So not sure what to do at this point.

The recommendation from the homeopath was Vitamic C taken throughout the day and a liver cleanse. What the hell is that? Looked up on internet and everything from epsom salts and grapefruit juice to milk thistle and dandelion root.

If anyone has any advice, please bring it on! I want to get back to my old running self. That helped so much with the mood, stamina, sleep and fitness issues.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:19 AM   #13
    liverpool sue
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

liverpool sue HB User

hi beppie. why not treat menopause as the competition, and try and beat that, rather than giving up your running altogether? whatever you can do has to be better than doing none at all.
    a good friend of mine is a deputy head teacher, and runs regularly. she's 54 and about 5 years post menopausal. she doesn't do competative running, just runs for her own pleasure. i know she gets very tired, but who wouldn't with a job like hers, and the running? she gives in to the fatigue in the evenings and at week-ends and i think that's important, to look after yourself when your body tells you to.
    as for the liver cleanse stuff, i'm not a huge believer in things like that, but that's just a personal view. who knows, it could work for you.
    good luck
    sue

Old 06-15-2007, 05:29 AM   #14
    vintagegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vintagegirl HB User

I think there's always reason to hope.... look around you at women older than us....they SEEM to be fine eventually. As another poster said, I too have a 79 year old aunt who could outwork and outplay anyone half her age, including me! She had menopause at 44 after a D&C for excessive bleeding. She never had a period after that. It must have been the last hurrah. Looking at her, it doesn't appear her daughters are having the same meno. I take great comfort from that, since my mother's meno was awful. Her one daughter is 51 and doesn't look a day over 41. She has fibroids and fatigue, but no hot flashes or any other issues. Her sister--my aunt's other daughter--has the more standard peri. I don't know what I'm in....at 36, I've been skipping periods since I was 34. Last year began the 50 days between periods, tingling hands, and anxiety. For the most part though, I feel pretty good.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #15
    janeslk
    Veteran
    (female)

janeslk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mistyeyze View Post
    I wonder if the younger you are when you start peri-meno... the faster you get OLD??? Is it better when we are finally IN menopause??? PLEASE somebody say YES.

This sucks!
    I think everyone must be really different when it comes to menopause. I went through peri-menopause in my mid 40's and was totally through menopause by age 50. I am now 56.

I never had the hot flashes, etc., only sleep problems. I did have HRT during peri-menopause because I did have periods in which I thought I might bleed to death. I stopped taking anything when government studies pointed out the dangers, but I had stopped having periods even with HRT so it was no big deal. I gained 30 to 40 pounds and I was miserable about my weight.

I finally took control of my life. I had always exercised, but I upped my running and later started doing yoga. I realized I didn't need to eat cookies, bread and fattening food. (Okay, maybe sometimes). My husband and I started eating small salads in the evening or sauted vegetables. Slowly, the weight came off and I shed 35 pounds in a year. We started taking various supplements--Vitamin C, CoQ 10, D-3, pharma-grade Omega 3, etc. I think everyone should take Omega 3, not just for artery health, but for depression as well.

Anyway, here I am at age 56 and some younger guy complimented me the other day when I was having my car fixed. It made my day. I have started the bioidentical creams last week, but mainly to help my sleep patterns and vaginal dryness. So far I am refusing to give in to the mindset that menopause speeds aging.

Jane

Closed Thread