It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• endometrial biopsy needed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
    mamabear123x
    (female)

mamabear123x HB User
    endometrial biopsy needed?

I just went to the doctor because my periods are every 21 days. I'm 43. The doctor said I need to get an endometrial biopsy before she tests my hormones. I was kind of surprised. I just thought it was pre-menopausal hormone issues. Should I get a second opinion before I do this?

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-15-2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
    korgiee
    Inactive
    (female)

korgiee HB User
    Re: endometrial biopsy needed?

I would definitely get another opinion. That sounds like something to do after everything else has been ruled out. I am not a doctor but it sounds like a perimenopause symptom to me. I had that for about 6 months before i went back to a more normal cycle and when I did my periods were quite heavy. So there really is no normal when your body starts to change. Please get another opinion before you jump into that. Alyce

Old 06-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
    colleen617
    (female)

colleen617 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamabear123x View Post
    I just went to the doctor because my periods are every 21 days. I'm 43. The doctor said I need to get an endometrial biopsy before she tests my hormones. I was kind of surprised. I just thought it was pre-menopausal hormone issues. Should I get a second opinion before I do this?
    I surprised that she didn't have you get a transvaginal ultrasound to see thickness of lining. Usually if it is >5mm, then they do endometrial biopsy.

I'd ask her why she wants to do endometrial biopsy (what is she checking?)

Old 06-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User

Hi,

Two years ago, when I was 47, I had an endometial biopsy done. I was having some heavy bleeding, and it was every 21 days. I dd get an ultrsound first, and my lining was slightly thick (don't remember the number). So I had the biopsy, and it was normal.
    I also had my hormones tested - they were still normal at that time. Now two years later, I still get a period every 21-25 days, but it's become lighter and my hormones are getting closer to menopause. I have been getting ultrasounds every 4-6 months also - because I get cysts and have fibriods. My lining has varied over the 2 years - sometimes it's thinner and sometimes it's thicker. I think it depends on where I am in my cycle.

A biopsy right off, with out other tests seems extreme, but as my GYN told me, it's a good indicator of what going on (if anything). When I had mine, they could also tell that I was still ovulating.

Mary

Old 06-24-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
    mamabear123x
    (female)

mamabear123x HB User

Hi Marymk,

Thanks for the info. I was out of town for awhile so am going to ask my primary care doctor if he agrees before I do anything. I'm a bit wary of medical procedures so don't want to do this unless I absolutely need to. I've done some research and it sounds unpleasant or maybe painful. Always good to get a second opinion.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User

Hi mamabear,

A second opinion is a good idea if your not comfortable with the first, my primary care Dr referred me to the GYN, so it was sort of like a second opinion. I had been getting all my pap smear's and gyn exams through my PCP, for about 8 years, so I thought is would be good to see a GYN again.
    When I had to biopsy, I kept putting it off, because I was nervous about it - the pain, procedure etc... I figured if she was letting me put it off until I felt comfortable about it, then it must not be very urgent. So I finally had it done a few months later, and it wasn't bad at all. A little pinch and some cramping - I went to work within an hour after having it done - had just a bit of bleeding, and by the next day I was like new.

Good Luck, I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

Mary

Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
    mamabear123x
    (female)

mamabear123x HB User

Dear Marymk,

I did call my primary care doc and he said it was just a matter of procedure for abnormal bleeding past 40. I have no reason to think I have cancer and I don't have any risk factors except being older than 40.

Thanks for letting me know how it will be. I will take ibuprofen first. I don't do well with pain.

Mamabear

Closed Thread