It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• I think I finally missed a period

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User
    I think I finally missed a period

Hi Ladies,
    I have been in peri for about 3 years (or more). It started with very heavy periods, getting closer together. When they started getting less than 3 weeks apart my GYN put me on provera for the last 12 days of my cycle - this extended it to about 25 days. I would usually get my periods within 2-4 days of stopping the provera.

Well - in December I stoppped the provera and the only sign I've had was one very small light spotting once. I thought it was starting, but now it's been about 9 days and no period.

I did feel crampy over the weekend and my breasts feel a bit full, which I usually get with a period. So it feels like it's coming, but I don't think it will. I never really had hot flashes, but I think I was getting some kind of flush last week - I was really warm at work all week - but I also had a bad cold for a couple of weeks and thought it might be a fever - none the less - I'll be 50 in August, and I'd be pleased as punch to be finished with periods.

So - my next question is - if I don't get my periods will my PMS symtoms subside - or is this the beginning of a new set of sypmtoms I'll be dealing with. I already went through the anxiety phase (very bad) and a few years back I had night sweats (those are gone now). And of course the irregular bleeding (on month I didn't stop at all).

Thanks for listening,

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
    MaryAnn
    (female)

MaryAnn HB User
    Re: I think I finally missed a period

Hi Mary,

I was reading through your post and read about irregular bleeding and one month not stopping. I am 46 and have had irregular periods for a few years, but I have been bleeding or spotting is more like it for the last month. Is this something that comes with perimenopause? I really haven't had any other symptoms other than irregular periods. How long has all of this lasted for you? I have been thinking that I should make a doctors appointment. My last physical was about 8 or 9 months ago. Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User

Hi Mary,

Yes, it seems like that's how it has been for me. I was irregular for about 2 years that I can remember (maybe longer, but I didn't always keep track until I started getting other sypmtoms).
    You should get checked out by a Dr. My GYN did a bunch of tests to make sure it wasn't something more serious - just hormonal stuff. When I had the period that lasted a month (some was heavy - some was spotting), that's when she put me on provera (which is progesterone). That helped regulate my cycle. I was really loosing alot of blood at one point, and was getting worried about it.
    Now I haven't had my period yet this month, so I probably don't need to take the provera - since it was used to stop my bleeding. I will give my Dr a call just to make sure that's what I should do - but that's pretty much what she told me last summer - that I would be on the provera until my periods stopped, which I hope they have.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
    nycjane
    (female)

nycjane HB User

i am very similar to you marymk. After my November Provera course, I never got a period. I called the MD and he had me come in for hormone blood test. It shows borderline peri. He stopped the Provera. I still haven't gotten a period but I get plenty of hot flashes

Jane in NYC

Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
    michelle60
    (female)

michelle60 HB User
    Smile Re: I think I finally missed a period

i am 47 and perimenopause i to have had periods that i skip a period. my last one was november 17th and i just started today 1-18 64 days without was really nice. i have night sweats but no hot flashes so far. i sometimes have a regular period and then just when i think i am done i spot for another 15 days. this has been going on for 2 years now and when i started having wierd periods my fsh was 8.7 pretty normal but 8 months later my fsh was 29.0 wow big differance. i am going for a physical next month and will ask my doctor to check the fsh again to see where i'm at now. io wish the periods were over as i am sure all of you do as well. at least we all know we are not alone and our symtoms are not in our heads. why do woman have to go through this and child birth it just seems so unfair.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
    nycjane
    (female)

nycjane HB User

My last period was around November 1. I started with the spotting about 2 years ago and after all kinds of tests it was diagnosed as peri. I am 49. Last month my hormone test showed FSH of 22.1 and estradol was 66. They told me I have a ways to go yet. I was disppointed too about not being further along

Jane

Closed Thread