It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Anyone had any relief from anti-depressants?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User
    Anyone had any relief from anti-depressants?

Hello everyone,
    Well, I'm off to my doctor AGAIN this morning (never been there so much as since I've hit the menopause). I've just ditched my second lot of hrt as it was actually making me feel worse (a member posted that this can be a top symptom of hrt - great when it's supposed to be making you feel BETTER!). My anxiety had gone through the roof, and nothing I have tried - going with it, exercising, eating healthily, working, getting out, etc has helped.
    I've had depression/anxiety in the past, but the anti-depressants I have always enabled me to lead a pretty normal life and sleep well; however, in the menopause, they stopped working (and I gained all the other horrible symptoms, insomnia, feeling strange, physically and mentally ill as well). I want to try a different anti-depressant, maybe prozac or seroxat, which I've heard are good for anxiety. I feel at the end of my tether, I feel panic flashing through me 24/7 and now I have even begun to wake up with it all through the night as well.
    It's so difficult now, I feel such a mess and my daughters are about to do all their final exams at university - how can I cave in now and give them extra worry, also my elderly parents. I feel I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown and really need some help.
    Please, can anyone tell me there is any hope in this situation. Sorry to dump all this on you all, you have all been so good!
    Pud
    x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #2
    marla20
    Inactive
    (female)

marla20 HB User
    Re: Anyone had any relief from anti-depressants?

Pud,
    I went on Lexapro last march. Everything went bonkers for me last March. I am 52, still getting my period, however major changes. I was on an ad for years however it stopped working and was interfering with the hormonal inbalance. i was a mess. We were all set to leave on vacation, and on the morning we were to leave in march I could not go. I fell apart with panic. The Lexapro has saved me. I am on 10mg and it has done wonders for me. I still have some anxiety around my period and around that time if I need to I take. ativan. Now I can take ativan 2 times a month, or go 3 months and not need it at all. That's why I know this is all hormones. I just believe in the meds to help me cope with life. I am a teacher and I have 3 boys in their 20's with a lot going on and I just do not like the panic and anxiety. I don't believe anyone should be suffering. I don't know down the road if I will need HRT but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Hope this helps. Marla

Old 03-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
    Menogal51
    (female)

Menogal51 HB User

Dear Pud: I can't tell you how much I sympathize. I was desperate I felt so bad. The tremors, the chills and the depression were terrible. However, take heart, it does get better once the HRT kicks in. I was on the patch but only a minimal amount of estrogen was getting through. My DR. switch me to oral Estrace with micronized Progesterone and so far so good. It hasn't been that long but I already feel so much better. I never did take the antideppresents given me (Prozac) because I didn't want to cloud the issue. If I felt better I wanted to know that it was the hormones and not the Prozac. Be kind to yourself and know that this person you are without hormones is not the real you, the real you is competent and worthy and will return once this god-awful menopause is just a bad memory. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Take care.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

Hi Marla,
    Thanks so much for your reply - your background with all of this does sound very much like mine! I'm now 54, and when my periods began to tail off, I would get "blips", but it was when they had stopped completely that the problems set in permanently and the anti-depressants that had worked wonders for years stopped working. I was very interested in your quote that your regular ads did, in fact, interfere with the hormone imbalance. Did the doctor tell you this? If so, perhaps it's something more women should be aware of!

I saw yet another doctor this morning, he was very good, spent a lot of time with me and got me to fill in a questionnaire on his computer (at last, none of this from the other docs), he said it was obvious something was very wrong as I had been up and down to them so much recently, and asked me to come back in 2 weeks too to check on how things were going. The result of the questionnaire was that I scored very highly on anxiety and pretty high on depression (as if I didn't know!!). He is getting me to slowly wean off my regular anti-depressant, but I can still take the new one he's prescribed at the same time. I think the new one is the same as yours, but under the generic name, Citalopram, 10mg, but he may increase this if need be. I am told these may well increase the anxiety initially, but to bear with it, as it should correct itself within a few weeks. Don't know if this happened to you or not. He has also referred me to a psychiatrist, maybe for CBT, but neither of us are sure whether my problems are purely hormonal (which I really suspect, but it's so hard to prove, tho' I felt a DEFINITE mood change in the menopause, other weird symptoms cropped up too) or have become psychological. Whichever, hopefully the new meds will do the trick, or at least stabilise me to get to grips with whatever is needed to help.

One thing I would say to you though, whatever you do, if you do need hrt down the line, DO NOT stop taking the anti-depressants, even if you find the hrt makes you feel well. I did this, and that was my big mistake, I stopped my regular ads dead, and boy did I pay for it about three months later! It would appear that I needed both, and should have been taking the hrt AS WELL AS, not INSTEAD OF the anti-depressants.

Keep in touch and let me know how you're going on. I will pray that you don't suffer too many menopausal symptoms and keep well.
    Love,
    Pud
    x

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-13-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: editing quote

Old 03-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

Hi Menogal,
    Thanks for your reply. Have a look at my reply above to Marla - I have stopped hrt now as it wasn't doing anything at all for me, but it is something I may consider again once I have got sorted out with my other meds - can't deal with too many meds in one go! That's if I feel I need it.
    Hope you keep well, and I agree that "somewhere in there" is the person we really are before this horrible, horrible business with the menopause came along.
    Much love,
    Pud
    x

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-13-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: editing quote

Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

P.s. Marla, Doc also gave me some diazepam for REALLY bad times. Like you and Ativan, I'm not stupid with these, and know they are only for "emergencies"!! Pud xxx

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-13-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: editing quote

Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
    marla20
    Inactive
    (female)

marla20 HB User

Pud,
    Sorry it took so long to respond. Yes the dr did tell me that after taking that ad for so many years and then all the changes that were happening to me he said he has found in his research that horomones can change the effect of the ad. I new this before I even made it to that appointment. You know how we just know ourselves and our bodies. When he said that it just confirmed exactly what I had thought. It was just to weird that after all these years it just stopped. I was starting in Dec.06 feeling horrible with these very heavy periods, lack of concentration and every other symptom. Also my anxiety and depression were coming back like full blown. Lots of thoughts crossed my mind and then a light blub went off. As soon as he changed me to Lexapro, after about 2 weeks I was feeling better. I started to feel like it wasn't working and was having more anxiety and he perscribed ativan for those 2 weeks. And then bam, it kicked in and I felt normal. I would never say I feel wondeful and on cloud nine which is what so many people think that don't take these meds, but I just felt normal again. I could work ( i am a teacher) and function. Again I don't know what the future holds, but thank so much for the tip about HRT. I will not stop the ad. Keep in touch. Marla

Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
    marla20
    Inactive
    (female)

marla20 HB User

I had the ativan so long that when I went to refill it ( it had 4 refills) they couldn't do it because it had expired. I had that for a year and had taken abut 12 of them. Only for emergencies is right!!!! marla

Old 03-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Pud, So sorry you've been feeling so stressed. It sounds, from your last couple of posts, that you're on a better path though. I haven't had any experience with the ad's, but do take xanax occasionally for the anxiety and see my psych. every 2 weeks.

I've found that the therapy sessions are really helping me. I have a great support system, but, I guess talking with a professional who is an objective 3rd party so to speak is very different. I have to admit, I may not always agree with his observations when I'm there, but 9 out of 10 times, I realize after I've given it some thought, that he's right. As they say, "the truth hurts" !!! Me, being the stubborn Irish lass that I am, I don't always like to admit that I can't control every aspect of my life. And what on earth, but peri and "mentalpause" can make you feel more out of control?!

I'm glad you're feeling hopeful about the new meds. It's such a relief just to have another option. God Bless and as always, hang in there. Ever so fondly, cmpgirl

Old 03-25-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
    marla20
    Inactive
    (female)

marla20 HB User

Hi,
    First of all I have nausea almost every morning around the same time every month and it is very much peri and the changes in my body. I woke up with it this morning around 2 am. It does pass but I do believe it is this whole thing my body is going through. If you look back on some of my threads I have been going through this since a year ago march. I mean I am sure I have been going through this before that, however peri really started showing itself last march. Heavy Heavy periods, crying, mood changes major anxiety and the whole nine yards. I had been on an ad since the early 1990's and all of a sudden it stopped working. First I was put on Zoloft for 3 weeks. Did nothing. It did not work. Then he switched me to Lexapro (10mg) and I am back to normal. (whatever normal is) I still take ativan when needed but that is hardly at all. I still have symptons of peri but I don't have anxiety and stuff. I am 52 and my periods are getting lighter but I still have other things going on during this peri time. I am hoping it gets better. Hope this helps you. marla

Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

Hi everyone,
    Thank you all so much for your replies. Sorry I've been some time replying, had my 2 girls home from university for Easter, working a lot, now my dad is staying with me while he has his bathroom refitted. He is very old and confused and causes me a lot of work (and stress!). Luckily, my daughters are wonderful and help me out so much.
    I was really interested reading your comments, especially about anti-depressants that have worked for years suddenly not working. It was a relief to read this as I thought it was just me, I just couldn't understand why I was suddenly becoming so ill again while still taking them, but now I know! Also, although it was the same old anxiety/depression, somehow it felt DIFFERENT. Hard to explain, but I'm SURE you all know exactly what I mean! Other weird things began to happen too; the insomnia (very odd as I'd always been such a good sleeper), days of just feeling very "strange" and feeling physically and mentally ill.
    I have been on my new anti-depressants 12 days now, and I do believe they are starting to kick in. It's still all a bit weird; for example, this morning when I woke up I felt really awful (not helpful with my dad about either!) and this went on for quite some time. However, this afternoon, I suddenly felt much better and (so far!) this feeling is going on. Perhaps this is turning the corner. The new ads I have are called Citalopram, they are supposed to be particularly good for anxiety, so here's hoping!
    Hope you girls are all getting on okay. Keep in touch.
    Much love,
    Pud
    x

Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
    jill60
    (female)

jill60 HB User

This is just my experience with anti-depressants for meno. They didn't help me. I think a.d. were just given to me to try to cover up my symptoms. I did end up finding bhrt that was right for me. For some women this may not be the case & a.d. may work.

jill60

Old 03-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
    jansonlygirl
    (female)

jansonlygirl HB Userjansonlygirl HB User
    Unhappy Re: Anyone had any relief from anti-depressants?

Hi Pud,
    Remember me? I just needed to touch base with the girls i was talking with here a few months ago, in the thread of "these crazy chemicals called hormones".
    I was doing ok since my last post back in early Feb. but right now I am in it deep, back to feeling constantly sad and SO disoriented, I sure could use some words of wisdom from those who know what I am talking about. I hate this so much i feel like I am losing my mind and there is no comfort anywhere!! Please help me girls I really really feel weird and out of it, my daughter is going to make me get out for a walk, i don't want to go but maybe it will help.
    Talk to you soon,
    Jen

Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

Hi jansonlygirl,

I think what you're experiencing is normal. I've had patches where I have felt a lot better and think "this is going to be all behind me now", only to go down big time again. I think eventually things will level out, but a lot of it is expecting and accepting set backs, hard as it is, sort of trying to learn to live with it, at least for the time being. Positive thinking is good - when the bad times come again, focus as much as possible on how good you had been feeling and tell yourself you will get there again. As with all of us, the "real" us is still there and one day we will be back to normal. Feeling really weird is such a common symptom in the menopause - I have heard it described by many people as feeling "strange", "odd", etc, etc, also feeling disoriented too. The menopause is a real strange business and you feel like you're the only one, but I assure you, many, many of us are going or have been through all this. When I feel like I'm going mad, I have a little chuckle and remember all the ladies who have reported the same and know I am certainly not - it's just feelings, bad as they are. I <found a printout>, pages and pages of menopausal women saying the same thing. I keep it in my bedside drawer, and if feeling bad, get it out and read it over and over again to remind myself it's not just me. I also got my family to read it - they were pretty amazed to realise how awful this time could be, and the comments explained it better than I could put into words. So, chin up, you're not alone.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Pud
    x

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-27-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: do not discuss other forums

Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 PM   #15
    jansonlygirl
    (female)

jansonlygirl HB Userjansonlygirl HB User

Thank you Pud for your response, I got my period today and some of the fog lifted, it seemed like it took so long to get here this time, lots of pre cramps and so sad and feeling so alone.
    I still feel kind of out of it, like I was in a coma and am coming around..feeling and touching my way back again.
    Over the last 2 months it was as if i didn't even notice the PMS, and suddenly it comes back full force, I question myself so much, thinking I must be doing something wrong!
    One thing for sure, it has been a very long winter here, over 100 inches of snow and many many dreary days, I am looking forward to the spring and the garden in the summer.
    I am getting through this one, i just hope next month won't be the same, but I guess it is up to the hormones.
    Keep in touch,
    Jen

Closed Thread