It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Vivelle patch questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
    Kwanikiva
    (female)

Kwanikiva HB User
    Vivelle patch questions

Hi!

New member but an old hand at the meno-stuff. Early menopause due to radiation treatment for breast cancer. After 8 cancer-free years (thank God!) I was given the ok last year to try BHRT. I've been on the Vivelle patch, .0375 mg, for about 5 weeks. After 2 nasty migraines in week 2, my Dr. had me cut the patch in half feeling that perhaps I was getting a little too much Estradiol too quickly. I'm now back up to a whole patch twice weekly, same dose. No headaches. However, I'm having what I can only describe as flu-like symptoms, nausea, lethargy, sleep issues, in other words, typical menopause symptoms which seem to have been exacerbated by the patch. Also taking Progon B by Bezwecken. By the way, I was on bio-identical cream for about 4 months a year ago which made me feel awful. My last dose was 12mg. a day!

Has anyone else had a "worse before it gets better" experience on Vivelle or any other HRT? Flu-like symptoms? Like many of you I'm desperate and certainly willing to do whatever it takes to feel like myself again, I just want to know I'm headed in the right direction. Wanna make sure that light in the tunnel's not another train, right?

I've been told that I should probably give any new HRT regimen 3 months before changing but I feel so lousy, I'm not sure I can hang on another 7 weeks with this one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and thank you in advance for your kindness and compassion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
    MarciB
    (female)

MarciB HB User
    Re: Vivelle patch questions

Hi...I am on the same patch as you are. I am also on progesterone cream which I was told is imperative to use while using the patch.(not necassarily the cream but I was told we need the estrogen/progesterone combination) I was told I might be worse before better and I found that to be true. They didnt want to make any adjustments until I had been on it a full 3 months. The nausea in the middle of the night was terrible and would last hours. That was attributed to the progesterone cream which was then cut in half...the nausea is gone.

I have been on thebio-identical hormones for 6 months now. I was on the "regular" hormones for 6 months prior to that.

my assessment for myself is...I was about 50% better on the regular hormones. I am about 60-75% better on the bio-identical hormones and just feel all around better using hormones that have been prescribed specifically for me as a result of my bloodwork and being monitored on a quarterly basis and using plant derived hormones. Wish I didnt have to use them at all but the quality of MY life was GREATLY affected-short of going into all of the gorey details!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
    Kwanikiva
    (female)

Kwanikiva HB User
    Re: Vivelle patch questions

Marci, thank you SO MUCH for responding. Just knowing other's may have had a similar experience to mine is comforting. I had such a horrible time on the BHRT cream, I'm a little gun-shy if the same crappy feelings show up with a new regimen. I try not to go to the "oh no, this isn't gonna work either" place, but I've felt so bad for so long it's tough.

Thanks again and all the best to you!

Closed Thread