It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• excessive sweating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
    excessive sweating

We have discussed the "hot flashes" before but has anyone experienced this? I don't have hot flashes I have flash floods. I sweat like a marathon runner. I take alot of vitamins, an over 50 multivitamin, calcium, D and magnesium several times a day (Osteroporsis) B12, fish oil and an iron pill. I started getting leg and finger cramps a few days ago. I drank some electrolyte enhanced water. Didn't help. I drank gatorade. The cramps spread to my shoulders and chest. I drank pedialyte and vinegar. Yuck. It helped some. This morning I had the cramp of all cramps in my calf. You know the kind. A knott that brings the tears. Ouch. My husband then said, salt pills like he had in the service. He said I am sweating so much I must be losing all my salt. Well, geez, ok I dont usually salt my food but there is salt in canned stuff and I put salt on my avocado last night....but it didn't work. This morning I was licking salt and drinking salt water. I seem to be doing better but still on the edge of having a cramp. I see the dr in the morning. Has anyone experienced this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: excessive sweating

Excessive sweating, excessive water intake, and certain medications (among a few things) can deplete the electrolytes.

Excessive sweating can be caused by a vitamin B12 deficiency.

Cramps in the calves have been attributed to potassium shortages...and magnesium deficiencies can cause similar problems.

How much calcium are your taking? How much magnesium? If you are taking an incorrect ratio, the calcium will negate any magnesium supplementation. What kind of magnesium are you taking? There are several different kinds and not all are easily processed by the body.

IMHO, you are taking too many supplements....in addition to an appointment with your doctor, you might want to see a dietician about eating a healthier diet.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-29-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Corrected inaccurate info

Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Hi thanks for your response. I saw the dr today and had some blood work done. He is aware what suppliments I take, calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, B12 and iron and a multiple. I have osteroporosis so I need to take the higher doses. My B12 is at a good range too. I eat pretty healthy. I usually have oatmeal and a banana for breakfast or egg beaters. Don't eat bacon. I eat alot of fresh veggies from my garden and lots of fruit. We barbeque a steak once a week and do eat alot of chicken breast. Fish yuck. I don't do fish. We share a baked potato, ff sour cream, ff cheese. we eat only brown rice, my spaghetti is made with rice noodles now. Our treat is ff pudding with pineapple. Don't drink, don't smoke. We have been doing the weight watchers core program but we have always eaten pretty healthy. I could eat a whole pizza myself no problem but I haven't had a pizza in over a month. I haven't eaten at fast food restaurants for several years. Anyway, dr is testing for Lupus, thyroid etc. We will see what happens. I informed him today I do have atypical connective tissue disease and he raised his eyebrows. Not once did he blow it off as to being just in menopause. Refreshing for a change.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Mel, You're welcome for the response, .
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
    .... I saw the dr today and had some blood work done. He is aware what suppliments I take, calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, B12 and iron and a multiple.
    Although your doctor may be "aware" of the supplements you are taking, chances are his knowledge of nutritional issues is minimal, at best...that is why we have nutritionists. Again, I would recommend a nutritional consult. The fact that you have osteo and have increased calcium needs red flags your magnesium levels because "too much" calcium can negate the magnesium. The blood tests doctors use to check magnesium levels is very poor and only identify about 50 percent of the mag deficiencies. Other tests for magnesium are not very accurate either...

Quote:
    ....I have osteroporosis so I need to take the higher doses.
    If this is the case you are probably taking medication for it (my mother does). Did your doctor tell you that some osteo meds (fortical nose spray for example) can cause excessive sweating?

Quote:
    Not once did he blow it off as to being just in menopause. Refreshing for a change.
    Hmmm....sounds like he's better than some. Other than a cessation of menses, I don't buy into menopause symptoms for several reasons....not every woman experiences symptoms despite a cessation in menses, and in some other cultures none of the women experience symptoms...but that's another thread.

Bethsheba

PS Because the lab tests don't accurately reflect mag levels, some docs rely on potassium levels to determine if other mag testing needs to be done.

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-31-2008 at 06:22 AM.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bethsheba, thanks for the info. I am using Fortical nasal spray. I ended up in ER taking Actonal. The Fortical side effects are interesting as I have had bladder infections, nasal congestion and the dr suspects I have kidney stones. I had a contrast cat scan yesterday. All my bloodwork came back right in the middle of the road except my BUN was just above normal.
    I have had some of these issues though prior to taking Fortical. It's going to be a process but at least we are working together instead of him playing the power trip and it is all in your head attitude. I haven't had the battle with him that I had with the last two doctors to take hormones. I won't do it. My mom had breast cancer and from what I read taking hormones for the 5 years recommended only delays menopause symptoms anyway. I also felt more high risk for a blood clot because I was injured at work and it took 3 years to finally get back surgery and I wasn't active at all until my surgery a few months ago.
    My sweating actually started about 5 years ago, when I started having periods every other month. My girlfriend and I went to the south for a couple of days. When I got home the sweating started. Within 6 months my periods were over. Of course, now I remember when we returned from our trip, there was a West Nile virus outbreak back there the next month. Egad, that could be another can of worms....

Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel,

So sorry I haven't gotten back to you until now...I am not organized regarding my health board responses...tend to be a bit impulsive instead.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
    ... I ended up in ER taking Actonal.
    Yikes! That info may be helpful for me (with my mother) in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
    ... All my bloodwork came back right in the middle of the road except my BUN was just above normal.
    Would that be because you may be dehydrated with all of the sweating?? What did the doctor say?

Quote:
    It's going to be a process but at least we are working together instead of him playing the power trip and it is all in your head attitude.
    That "working together" business is the way it should be!

Quote:
    ...I haven't had the battle with him that I had with the last two doctors to take hormones. I won't do it.
    I don't blame you. I have a friend who's a nurse who is taking hormones for hot flashes/floods but she told me she will take them only for 6 months and then stop. I asked "Why?" and she said, "That's the longest they've tested them." I didn't ask exactly what she is taking.

I am very sorry about your mom's cancer. And I am very sorry about your injury. It sounds like the surgery has enabled you to return to "normal"...I do hope so.

You say the sweating started about the same time you starated having periods every other month. Did you have the sweating symptoms every other month, too?

And yes, I suppose West Nile could be another can of worms...but I don't know, we're more at risk for lyme where I live and I can't keep current with those symptoms, .

Hope you're feeling better soon...take care, Mel.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread