It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Anyone have digestive trouble with Perimenopause??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
    Anyone have digestive trouble with Perimenopause??

HI ladies! I just wanted to ask if any of you have trouble with your digestive system during perimenopause?? I never had trouble until the last year or two.

Do any of you have to watch everything you eat? Do you have trouble if you eat later in the evening? Or eating rich foods? Or pop or alcohol?

I just can never eat like I used to. I have been sick all day with a stomach ache because my hubby and I ate a heavy, late meal last night and I had two glasses of wine. My stomach hurts and its sore where the little valve is going up into the esophagus. I have already had a camera down my throat in Jan. It's all clear. So what is going on here?

I just want to know if any of you have to be careful like I do. I have to be so careful and even eat tiny meals. Nothing big in one setting.

My thoughts are that its hormone changes cause my bad digestions. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks for any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
    pammcat
    (female)

pammcat HB User
    Re: Anyone have digestive trouble with Perimenopause??

HI TEdds83, I TOO HAVE HAD ALL OF THE DIGESTIVE ISSUES THAT YOU HAVE...ALONG WITH MANY OTHER WEIRD SYMPTOMS OVER THE PAST 4 YRS. DIGESTION HAS BEEN A BIG ISSUE, I AM EXPERIENCING ALL THIS STOMACH STUFF AS WE SPEAK....I TRY TO CONTROL IT BUT THERE SEEMS TO BE TO MANY FOODS THAT BOTHER ME I ALSO CANNOT EAT LATE, IF I CDO I WAKE UP GASPING WITH BILE IN MY MOUTH...GOOD OLD GERD....HORRID.....SALT BOTHERS ME ALOT MOST THINGS DO...I CHALK IT UP TO PERRI AND TRY NOT TO EAT PAST 5 ISH......YES STOMACH PROBLENS ARE A BIG PEIRRI ISSUE...YOU MAY FIND RELIEF AS I DO BY USING MAALOX IN THE MORNING AND BEFORE BED....I USE IT FOR SEVERAL DAYS WHEN I HAVE AN ACID REFLUX SITUATION, IT HELPS CONTROL STOMACH ACID ...IT HAS GIVEN ME SOOOOOOOO MUCH RELIEF...NOT A CURE BUT A GOOD TOOL.....GOOD LUCK HOW THIS WAS HELPFUL

The Following User Says Thank You to pammcat For This Useful Post:
    jody001 (05-17-2011)
    Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thank you so much for responding Pammcat! I just can't believe all of the issues effecting me with Perimenopause. I am trying hard to hold it together mentally. I have had every test run that you can imagine for all my ailments. So far they only thing that had come back is low hormones. (due to perimenopause) Those low hormones just wreak havoc on my body. I do notice alot of digestive issues for me with stomach and IBS. Looks like I have to make a complete lifestyle change. On the bright side maybe I will lose some weight.

Today I have only had saltines, water, 1 piece of toast and some cream of wheat. Oh ya, and a couple of sips od sprite. My stomach is still so sensative. I think it will be a day or too until I can start in on some other things. Rest assured I won't be eating like I did last night. UGH!!!

Thanks for reassuring me that these are and can be perimenopause issues. Hang in there too ok!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
    smvdelv
    (female)

smvdelv HB User

Oh, man...

Look for posts under my name, and all you will find is me whining about my stomach issues! I have had problems for 10+ years - no lie! Nausea is the worst of it, but over the last several months, that has really subsided. What I have to deal with now, is almost daily spotting. I keep a journal and oddly enough, I had this trouble the exact same time of year (Jan - April) 3 years ago. At that time, I had to have an ultrasound and uterine biopsy, both of which came back fine. But I have a feeling that I will be heading back to the gyno before my scheduled physical exam in September. I will go 2 - 3 days with nothing, then I will spot, then out of the blue, I will gush, clot, bleed for a couple hours (today in line for the boat in Disney World!!!) and then 2 hours later, barely spotting again.

Hang in Tedds83, and keep checking in on these boards. THe people here have been my saving grace over the past few years!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Smvdelv for replying! Thanks for telling me about your posts. I will check them out. I really think this is a peri thing. I keep having tests done. Bloodwork, Endoscopy etc...nothing. So I will have to deal with this with a strict diet. I will check out what you have been saying.

Let's stick together, we will make it through all this. Hugs!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
    smvdelv
    (female)

smvdelv HB User

Quote:
    =Let's stick together, we will make it through all this. Hugs!
    You got it! If it weren't for these boards, I'd have been in a nuthouse years ago!!!

{{{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}} right back!

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-16-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Old 05-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
    Anna1959
    (female)

Anna1959 HB User

I totoally agree! I just found these boars a few days ago and now I know I am not alone! I am acting like a crazy woman at times, I dont even know myself anymore and all this just really started about a month ago. I can't believe how fast your life can change! I have had terrible digestive problems this month. From heartburn to nausea to excuse the word....diareha! Who would have thought? I have IBS, but never like this, it was more painfull tummy, not these other symtoms. So I am watching what I eat. I found in the last few weeks I can't eat the things I use to tolerate. So ice cream is pretty much out, and cheese! UGH! Smaller meals and drink as much fluids as I can. I carry crackers with me too. : ) Soup has become a very good friend of mine also, oh brother....lol.

We will make it girls, we just have to hang in there together!

((((Hugs)))) to all!

Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
    singersongwritr
    (female)

singersongwritr HB User

I am so happy I found this site! I have been plagued with digestive issues that have been disrupting my life for the past several months. I am 48, and have had a history of digestive issues, IBS being the most persitant. For years I was able to manage the IBS and other digestive problems with diet and otc remedies. But, for the past several months I have suffered persistant
    nausea (particularly in the mornings), stomach pains, gas, rumblings and grumblings, acid, diarrhea, chest flutters...basically every symptom and more that I have read in the accounts here. I have been through a myriad of expensive tests to rule out particular digestive diseases and everything has come back clean. I don't get hot flashes, but I get what I can only describe as pseudo-fevers...when I feel intermittently feverish about the head and neck...but only for a few minutes. My breasts are forever sore. The instances of discomfort have become so frequent, I was beginning to wonder if something was fatally wrong! I finally did notice that the symptoms are much worse and persistant during what should be my menstrual cycle. These have become irregular and random. It occured to me that perimenopause might be the culprit, but when I suggested this to my gastro docs they had little response.
    Reading so many similar accounts gives me incredible comfort and vindication.
    My question is, what to do about these symptoms? I've been using a progesterone cream for about a week, but it so far seems to have made little difference. I don't want to go the hrt route if I can avoid it. I'd like to be able to regulate the hormonal imbalance, and not just treat the symptoms.
    Anyone having particular success with anything??
    Thanks so very much! I feel hopeful for the first time in quite a while!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
    MidlifeMe
    (female)

MidlifeMe HB User

I really can't believe that so many of us have these digestive problems and many of us have had the tests (usually negative) and the docs just don't seem to connect the dots... what gives? I find out that this is all so "normal" for peri (at least at this forum and with others that I have talked to). I too have IBS. I have had many more stomach issues in the last two years. I have been able to manage using dicyclomine and otc Ranitidine. I suddenly got all the other peri symtoms at once in Oct. Doc put me on low dose birth control pills and that has helped me feel much better. She said I could stay on them until I'm 50 (46 now). I don't want to think about getting off them again - it was awful. I expect that I will try hrt - hopefully by then there will be more options. For symptoms that remain, I try not to eat large meals, and I limit my alcohol and caffiene intake and just try to eat healthy. I've been drinking soy milk for a long time and I eat soy when I have the choice. All I can say is your situation sounds familiar. I expect that your "slight fevers" might become flashes later - I seem to remember having those fevers as well during the year or year and a half before the flashes started.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:38 AM   #10
    singersongwritr
    (female)

singersongwritr HB User

Thanks for responding! My gp did offer to try me on low dose birth control, but I've been reluctant. But, if it helped you that much, I'm going to revisit that option. The alternative is unacceptable to me now, since, clearly, I'm in for a good long ride with this. I've also severely modified my diet, and I'm trying to use more soy products. The only upside to all of this is that I've managed to lose 30 pounds that def needed to go! But, what good is looking good if you don't feel good?!
    While it's a relief to know I'm not alone in this, it's still going to be a challenge keeping it under control. Might be time to check in with a gyn!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

Tedds, I'm not a doctor but I do keep reading about digestive issues and that instead of it being too much stomach acid that causes the problems it's too little. I have similar problems as you. I just can't eat as much at one sitting as I used to, and I don't eat dairy at all.

This is just something you might want to look into. Apparently taking zinc, or drinking apple cider vinegar diluted in water or digestive enzymes can help. I have read the blood type book and even though I take it all with a big pinch of salt it says that type A blood types have low stomach acid and type Os have high.

It must be something that gets worse as you enter the dreaded perimenopause which I am in the midst of at the moment! Night sweats! Heart flutters! Yuck! I wish I was a man!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi girls,

I too have digestive issues with this peri-menopause and I have also come to the conclusion that soy products (I take soy isoflavones) also contribute to the digestive issues. I have researched that soy products can cause digestive issues (bloating, gas, etc.), but I will continue to take soy products because they seem to help with my menopausal symptoms.

Missy

Old 12-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
    MoriGhan
    (female)

MoriGhan HB User

Oh yeah!

I get constipated for a day or two before my period, and sometimes i get SEVERE bowel cramping right when it starts. Not often but when it happens I feel like i could die!LOL

It is Hormonal for sure. I am a Holistic so i drink teas with Uva ursi, clover, licorice, wild yam, black cohosh, or i just drink Chai. Coffee also helps. But for the most part i try to be active and eat high fibre before my period. My diet and keeping "balanced" is the key. Yoga, specifically the abdominal exercises help too. Keeping that area flexible and releasing tension works well.

Eating lots of fibrous foods ( including veggies and fruit) staying away from hydrogenated fats, and junk food during the week before mensus starts. Also cut down on meat.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi MoriGhan,

I too get that severe bowel cramping everyonce in awhile during the start of my period. It also helps to use a hot water bottle on your abdomen and soaking in a hot bath seems to help alot too.

Missy

Last edited by missy222; 12-10-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
    goldsgirl
    (female)

goldsgirl HB User

hi maybe you have acid reflux, i'm 47 and i'm going through perimenopause, but i also have acid refluex my doctor prescribes recipheix it works i only take it if i need it, what do you take for your perimenopause,

Closed Thread