It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Extreme perimenopausal but hormones normal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
    munchkingirl
    (female)

munchkingirl HB User
    Extreme perimenopausal but hormones normal

Hi all

Over the past few months I've had increasingly heavy periods and was diagnosed as having fibroids a couple of months ago. I'm on my way to getting something done about that, but am very disturbed and distressed by the severe and almost constant PMS/Menopausal symptoms I'm getting and which are stopping me living a normal life.

I'm 42 now and I'm getting the entire range of perimenopausal symptoms including, hot flushes, night sweats, trouble sleeping, heart palputations and shaking, irritability, anxiety and suicidal thoughts, back pain, abdominal cramps, nausea, bowel spasms, flatulence and pain, hunger pangs, nerve pains and tingling on my skin, muscle spasms, urinary infections and irriation, stinging and drawing down sensations in my vagina, rheumatic aches, headaches and dizziness and fatigue. Oh yes and teenage skin and thinning hair, which makes me feel just great.

The weirdest thing is that when I get a hot flush, which is frequently, I also get all the other symptoms at the same time in a kind of whoosh and have to breathe until they die down.

I've was in bed pretty much for 2 months feeling like I had flu all the time and also had anemia (now OK). I'm now trying to live as normally as possible although couldn't go out to work at the moment as the symptoms are too extreme and unpredictable. I'm staying with my poor old mum, who has been looking after me and last week she called an ambulance because I was hysterical and couldn't cope with all the symptoms bombarding me at once. The paramedics took me in to hospital, and they tested everything, and at least this proved that otherwise I'm completely healthy. They sent me home again because they couldn't rationally keep me in and gave me various things to take.

I'm taking Utolvan (progesterone tablets) for the heavy periods, Mefanamic acid for the period pains and Prochlorperazine 10mg for the nausea, which I get everyday. This is kind of keeping things under control.

I REALLY need to know how many other people have had these experiences as even though I know it's hormonal it's really scary. Also, any suggestions about how to treat perimenopause - I'm nervous about HRT and would prefer to use natural methods if possible, but right now I just want something done about so I can start to feel better!

Please help!! Vicky x

Last edited by munchkingirl; 06-20-2009 at 03:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
    Re: Extreme perimenopausal but hormones normal

I'm 39, in perimenopause, and I've had most of the symptoms you've described. My problem is with low progesterone. I use a bioidentical (natural) progesterone cream twice a day and it helps. The hot flashes you describe could be due to low estrogen. However, you need to see another doctor and get your hormones checked to find out where your deficiencies lie. You wouldn't be having all those symptoms if something wasn't off somewhere. If you don't get things checked out, you're just treating the symptoms and not the problem with what you're taking.

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-21-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
    Mstic1
    (female)

Mstic1 HB User
    Re: Extreme perimenopausal but hormones normal

Hi Vicky,

I agree with Kitty. You really need to get your hormones check to see what is going on.

I am 40 years old and was told in January that I am in menopause. My FSH level was 68! I am currently using bioidentical estrogen and progesterone creams and after 2 1/2 months on them...most of my symptoms have finally died down.

Getting your hormones checked is definetely the first thing you need to do. You don't want to start taking something if you don't need it.

I hope you find something that works for you,
    Mstic1

Closed Thread