It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Perimenopause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2001, 12:15 PM   #1
    Hera

Hera HB User
    Post Perimenopause?

Hello everyone,
    I just discovered this discussion board.
    I am 42 years old and I think I am in perimenoppause. I have no one to talk to and if I don't do something about it I think I will lose my family. My mood swings are so severe that I go from almost manic one minute, when I feel life is the ultimate and within 5 minutes everything feels as dismal and gloomy. I argue with my husband a lot about trivial things (same of the things that never used to bother me in the past).

As far as other symptoms of perimenopause are concerned, I have hot flashes only when I miss my period more than 2 months which is happening more often now. I have irregular periods.

Readong some of the messages I do realize this may not be too early. Since my symptoms are probably directly related to my menstrual irregularity.

Has any of you experiences such severe perimenopausal symptoms? How did you all get through it.

I have a very demanding job as well. But sometimes I feel like my family life is being affected.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2001, 07:52 PM   #2
    lin1956

lin1956 HB User
    Hera,
    I know exactly what you are going through. I am 44 years old and have been going through perimenopause for about six months now. I have the same mood swings as you, my periods have become irregular, I have a lot of trouble sleeping, and I've had some hot flashes.....they make me instantly nauseous. My doctor has prescribed Paxil and Klonapin for me, I have tried the Klonapin and it does help me sleep a little better at night. The Paxil I'm not sure about, I want to do a little more reading up on it. If you want to respond to this, I would be more than happy to talk to you about it, we can compare notes. Please know that I do understand how you feel, it is not easy.

------------------
    lin 1956

Old 02-03-2001, 11:41 AM   #3
    Hera

Hera HB User
    Lin,

Thanks for responding. I am planning on seeing a doctor at the end of this month. Hopefully he won't tell me I am losing it (I am sure not).

I have also heard that diet and what you eat may help you with the symptoms. I am planning on reading a little bit about how I can help relieve my symptoms the natural way.

Lin,
    My email address is [email protected] I would love to correspond with you and compare notes, especially after I see my doc. We do have to stick together ;-) Not having anyone in my age group with similar symptoms and having a housefull of boys doesn't help either.

Hera

Old 02-11-2001, 03:52 PM   #4
    nancydata

nancydata HB User
    Smile

Hi Hera,

I, too, am having weird symptoms that I think are indicators of perimenopause, but my doctor says I am too young (incidentally, my doctor is younger than I). I am almost 42 (my b-day is this month), and ever since I had my 3rd son (yes, there are boys all over my house, too!), in 1997, I've been getting night sweats. They have increased in frequency over the years, and now I have them about 80% of the time. It is awful!

I wake up from the sweats, my sheets are soaked, my whole body is completely wet, my t-shirt is drenched, and I am shivering because I am cold (from being all wet). This happens almost every night. And no matter how much sleep I get, I am always tired.

My periods are regular, however, and I am "only" 41, so my doc says there is nothing wrong.

I would like her to do a blood test, and can't see why she won't. I'm beginning to think about seeing a really good gynocologist instead of my regular MD. I simply can't believe that this is normal, or the result of "stress" and 3 young sons!

Please let us know what you find out...

and remember, you are not alone!

------------------
    Nancy

Old 03-03-2001, 12:48 PM   #5
    BEVGEO

BEVGEO HB User
    I am new to this website and so far I enjoy it. I have to repeat myself...it is important that you educate yourself and talk freely with your doctor about your concerns. Remember, it is YOUR body with these symptoms....nobody else's. If you think something is not right, then it probably isn't. And for some doctor to tell you that "your too young" is bull****. They obviously missed that class on when peri/pre menapause can start. Just because we have a uterus doesn't mean we were made out of the same mold. Find another doctor, talk to your friends, and read up on things. Good health.

Old 03-06-2001, 07:00 AM   #6
    vmk68

vmk68 HB User
    hello i'm new to this board, i came across it this morning and i'm glad i found it.
    me and hubby have been trying to concieve since 1999. i was on all the fertility medicines, and had every blood test done and was virtually a guinea pig is how i felt.
    i'am 32 yrs old. the docs finally did a blood test which revealed perimenopause, i'm devasted, he told me that i will never be able to have children and if i did, it would be a miracle. i've had 3 opinions by 3 different docs and they all told me the same thing.
    my periods are screwed up, i haven't had a period since jan 28 this year. were now in march. i called the doc and he said take a pregnancy test, well why should i take this test when he told me i could never get pregnant. this has been the worst year of my life. after i found this out, my mom passed away, and i have no one to talk to about this, no one who will fully understand what is going on with me.
    if anyone has been there, and would like to talk please post here.
    thank you

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 03-27-2002).]

Old 12-30-2001, 09:03 PM   #7
    Jenna*

Jenna* HB User
    Smile

Hi Hera!

Thank you so much for sharing what you're going through!

I too have been going through peri-menopause. My body started getting weird on me at age 37 when I missed my period for 3 months. When pregnancy was ruled out my doctor changed my birth control pills. And now I'm starting to miss again. Now at 39 my periods last anywhere from 1 hour (literally) to 1 day. (at most) My mood swings are dramatic and sometimes I feel like throwing open the shutters and screaming at the top of my lungs--just to feel better. And yet other times I am elated with life.

My husband gets disgusted with me as he just doesn't understand how unbalanced I feel right now with this hotflash thing and mood swings and just thinks I'm being a crab.I have experienced a lot of insomnia waking up at 3am and staying up till 6am. Also headaches have been frequent.So Hera, believe me you're not alone! Jenna*

Old 01-02-2002, 05:40 AM   #8
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    You might find some helpful information in Dr. John Lee's book, What You Doctor May Not Tell You About Perimenopause, if you have not seen it already. Dr. Christiane Northrup's books on women's health are also very interesting.

Both stress a natural approach to life changes, but talk about HRT, too.

Old 01-04-2002, 10:30 PM   #9
    JessieJo

JessieJo HB User
    I hate to mention this but I have been in perimenopause for the last 15 years, truly, ever since I had a tubal ligation aged 37. I have had all the usual symptoms from flushes to mood swings, panic attacks to night sweats, palpitations to migraine, sleeplessness to euphoria. For the last 4 years I have been on HRT, tried many different kinds only to find that its Progesterone that causes me worst problems. I am now on Estrogen patches and doing well. (Touch wood)I don't know if I would still have periods if I stopped HRT, I will have to stop to find out and I will one of thess days. Blood tests will not always show you are in peri meno as your hormones fluctuate so much, often they are a waste of time. Talk to your friends and doctor and do plenty of reading. All this must pass

Old 01-08-2002, 08:33 AM   #10
    BBMom

BBMom HB User
    JessieJoe, I am much like you.... have been going through perimenopause since about age 36... have migraines, moodswings, and since about last year (I'm now 44) have been experiencing some panic attacks when I'm trying to fall asleep. I couldn't believe my own OB/GYN doctor (a female no less!) didn't even suggest the estrogen, and even asked if I am a nervous-type person to be experiencing the panic attacks!!!I have found the estrogen patches to help also, but I am concerned about not being on progesterone (because of the cancer risk). I've heard that the progesterone cream could also help... Anyone try this? The estrogen patches make me feel so much healthier, but realize you need to be on progesterone if you still have your uterus. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.. I will be seeing a new OB/GYN sometime this year -- hopefully he will be a little more understanding.

Old 01-08-2002, 11:17 PM   #11
    JessieJo

JessieJo HB User
    You do need to take progesterone if you still have a uterus. Estrogen can cause a build up in the uterous and you need Progesterone to clear this out in a bleed. I have to take 'P' pills for 12 days every three months. I am 53 and don't have periods while on the E patches, probably because I don't make my own P any more.(yippee) I should take the P pills this week but I am loathed to start them as they make me so irritable and I am very happy without any periods !!

Old 01-08-2002, 11:22 PM   #12
    JessieJo

JessieJo HB User
    BBMom
    I forgot to mention about the panic attacks when trying to sleep. I get these and they have got worse since being on E patches, I am not blaming that as it did happen before HRT but its such an awful feeling. There are a few posts on the sleep disorder site here, read them but no one has come up with a reason for these attacks. My doctor has never heard of it happening.

Old 01-08-2002, 11:54 PM   #13
    Megherc
    Inactive

Megherc HB User
    I came to this subject because I am curious. I am still having regular periods and not in peri-menopause, but thought I'd check this out for the "future". What shocked me more than how hard peri-menopause is for some, is that one woman here was prescribed highly addictive, psycho-active meds for a natural part of life, Klonopin and Paxil. What mad scientist doctor thought of this? A hormone problem is not something to medicate with a tranquilizer and anti-depressant. I have knowledge and personal experience of many people who have become horribly addicted to tranquilizers and anti-depressants...some to the point of developing such tolerance to the benefit that they need even higher doses, more meds, or took to drinking with the meds just to get them to work. Some have ended up in mental wards, despite the fact they had no history of mental illness, or are deemed addicts and go through horrid detox centers, coming out sicker than ever from lengthy withdrawal syndromes. The ones who could tolerate this, lasting anywhere from 6 months to 2 years without any drugs, finally became well again. This is a bad road to travel down! Better just to treat the hormone problem itself, if necessary.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:37 AM   #14
    BBMom

BBMom HB User
    JessieJoe, Thanks for responding and for the information. My chiropractor, who also treats female ailments (through natural hormones, i.e., progest cream, etc.) said that panic attacks are a true sign of being low in estrogen. Now I know she is not an expert in this area so I'm always a little sceptical, but it sure made me feel better to hear this. But also a friend of mine who is going through the same thing said that she heard that panic attacks were also a sign of perimenopause. Maybe it's all a part of the sleeping problems which are also associated with perimenopause. We are such compicated creatures, huh? Nothing is simple. I ran out of my estrogen patches and my Family Physician has retired, so it's time for me to go see a new doctor and try to get this all figured out. Do you ever wake up with horrible headaches? This is something I've dealt with since I was 35, and they always seem to occur around my period or at the end of it. I'm thinking that I probably wouldn't have these headaches if I had a hysterectomy!!

Old 01-10-2002, 10:57 PM   #15
    JessieJo

JessieJo HB User
    BB MOM I have had awful headaches since I began my periods. Usually on the left side at the back. I was on the Pill for a few years and didn't get them nor when I was pregnant with my four kids. Since being in perimeno, they have got worse. I have now been on E patches for nearly 4 months and have only had one bad headache !!I have kept a calendar of them for 8 years and there is no pattern to them ! The only way i can get relief is to take an anti-inflammatory.
    AS for the panic attacks, I know they are a sign of perimeno but I am on high E patches and the panic and the jerking awake I get when trying to fall asleep has got worse ! Its just so complex but at least now I have read of it happening to other people and I do not feel so alone.

Closed Thread