It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Perimenopause and muscle twitches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
    Lightbulb Perimenopause and muscle twitches

Hi everyone,

I have been doing some research and have found out that these darn muscle twitches and jerking during the night may have something to do with thyroid issues. I guess it is pretty common for peri and menopausal women to develop thyroid problems. Has anyone here having the muscle twitches been diagosed with thyroid problems? We may be on to something here!

Missy 222

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
    Re: Perimenopause and muscle twitches

Missy, I am 6 years past menopause but have had twitches, and severe body muscle cramping. I have been taking calcium, D etc and blood work was normal. Thyroid test normal. I sweat profusely. I was diagnosed with osteroporosis a few years ago and even with doing the right stuff, my osteroporsis is worse, so I was sent to an endoencrinologist last week. She ordered a 24 hour urine calcium test and my results were posted online 19. Normal is 50-250. I haven't talked to the dr as other tests are pending so I looked up what would cause low calcium and a possiblity are the parathyroid glands. The symptoms sure match. Drs usually just do blood calcium test and tsh. So maybe we are on to something. Will let you know what the final results are.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Missy222: You've heard my story before so I won't bore you again. The only thing I'll add is to ask you if you are a big caffeine drinker? Caffeine depletes the magnesium out of you. Do you crave chocolate? Chocolate has magnesium, as well as nuts and green veggies. Please don't give up searching for the answers. The doctors won't search for you. You have to be your own doc these days. Menopause surely is a factor in all of this, there's not a doubt in my mind. Keep on truckin'.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi to all of you who have posted,

I don't consume alot of caffiene. I use to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, but I had to give it up because it just flared up my nervous system. I do drink a glass of green tea a day, but that's it. I love to eat spinach and also consume Bolthouse Green Goddess drinks which contains a numerous amount of good green stuff. I started on maganesium supplements 2 weeks ago, but so far, nothing is happening. These twitches are driving me crazy and the muscle jerks are keeping me up all night long. How long does it take for the magnesium supplements to work in your system if you are deficient in it? Also, how much should I be taking a day? I take 3 100 mg a day, plus there is 45mg in my daily vitamin. Is this okay?

Are you suppose to take calcium and vitamin D along with the magnesium supplement. I thought I read somewhere that the two act together somehow?

Sorry guys, I am all so new to this stuff, use to just take any multi-vitamin and I was good. Feeling like I am falling apart. I hate taking pills and now I line them up like a rope.

Also just started using the progesterone cream Meno-Ease by Rexall Corp. hoping it may just be my nerves caused by low progesterone. I'm not quite sure, but I think it may be helping a little bit. My nerves feel a little better. Will continue to try it.

I don't know what is going on with me and this change, perhaps I am just fixating on the twitches and that's what's driving me crazy. I can except all the other stuff (hot flashes, sweats, etc..) but I guess I am just scared because when I looked up twitching it could be ALS and all kinds of bad stuff!!!! I just don't want to go to the doctor because I am to afraid of the outcome and I don't think I could deal with something else right now. I know this sounds crazy, but maybe that is just who I am anymore.

Worried sick (and ya, I know that doesn't help at all!!!)

Thanks to all of you who have read and replied, it means alot!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
    jayer
    Inactive
    (female)

jayer HB User

I am hypothyroid also and am just starting perimenopause. I also recently just started getting twitches. They do freak me out and sometimes I am afraid to fall asleep as they jerk me awake. I also sometimes feel them in my stomach/center area...way deep. But lately they are getting better, I take valerian to help me sleep and it seems to help so far.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JbMayer,

Thanks for the post. How long have you had hypothyroid problems? Any twitching occuring only with that, or did the twitching happen when you started having perimeno conditions? I have tried valerian but it doesn't seem to help me sleep. By the way, what are some symptoms of hypothyroid?
    Missy

Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

You said:"I guess it is pretty common for peri and menopausal women to develop thyroid problems." No it is not common. Thyroid problems are actually rare...of course you see it on these boards as if they were an everyday occurrence however having thyroid problems is not common at all. I did however develop restless leg syndrome for a short time when I was having a thyroid storm that lasted several months. Low dose Valium helped get through that.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
    You said:"I guess it is pretty common for peri and menopausal women to develop thyroid problems." No it is not common. Thyroid problems are actually rare...of course you see it on these boards as if they were an everyday occurrence however having thyroid problems is not common at all. I did however develop restless leg syndrome for a short time when I was having a thyroid storm that lasted several months. Low dose Valium helped get through that.
    Thanks for your input AnnD

I just started reading a book called the "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Dr. Christiane Northrup and after doing other research, I do believe that thyroid problems may be caused by peri and menopausal symptoms. I will quote from her book "The ovaries are the organs we focus on most commonly at menopause, but the physical foundation of a woman's menopausal experience actaully rests on the health of all her endocrine (hormone-producing) organs. Thyroid problems are very common during the perimenopausal and postmenopausal years." You may also want to check out the author and clinician John R. Lee, M.D., for his discussions between thyroid problems and estrogen dominance.

I am glad for your post and to know that restless leg syndrome may be due to a thyroid problem. I do have the twitches mainly in my legs, but unfortunately there everywhere else also.

Thanks so much for your input, any information I can get is helpful.

Missy

Old 08-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
    jayer
    Inactive
    (female)

jayer HB User

I have been hypothyroid for about 1 year. I didn't notice any twitching prior to that...but my husband twitches when he is falling asleep and he has no thyroid issues. The symptoms of hypothyroid are about the same as perimenopause/menopause.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by missy222 View Post
    JbMayer,

Thanks for the post. How long have you had hypothyroid problems? Any twitching occuring only with that, or did the twitching happen when you started having perimeno conditions? I have tried valerian but it doesn't seem to help me sleep. By the way, what are some symptoms of hypothyroid?
    Missy

Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Missy222: Hi. Those are 2 good books to read. Dr. Northrup has been on Oprah many times. Do you see a chiropractor? If not, one may be able to help with the twitching. If the magnesium isn't doing the trick then the chiropractor could see if you've got any pinched nerves. The other day I twisted my shoulder and neck and ended up with a pain in the muscles there and then my index finger and thumb started twitching after I tried to work the pain out of the muscle. A nerve must have gotten disturbed somewhere and then it travelled down my arm. I could feel the pain in my arm if I rested it on the table. It has since subsided but I'm going to mention it to the chiropractor when I see him next time. Think about seeing one.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I think the muscle twitches are part of the perimenopause thing too. I started getting them above the past year or two. I even went to a Neurologist for testing. She found nothing wrong. I do think two things contributed to them. One is my allergy meds (yes, they cause twitching..sudefed, zyrtec...etc. alot of them) and I am low of Vitamin D a couple times of the year. When that is going on I get the twitching until I get the level back up. It's a tricky thing. Alot of things cause the twitching.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
    Wantok
    (female)

Wantok HB User

Don't know if you are still having the twitches, but get your iron (ferretin) level checked. And drink lots of water. Iron deficiency causes RLS, restless leg, and dehydration can cause it too. Before bed, drink a big glass of water, or two, and keep hydrated through the day. But get your iron checked.

Wantok

Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
    I think the muscle twitches are part of the perimenopause thing too. I started getting them above the past year or two. I even went to a Neurologist for testing. She found nothing wrong. I do think two things contributed to them. One is my allergy meds (yes, they cause twitching..sudefed, zyrtec...etc. alot of them) and I am low of Vitamin D a couple times of the year. When that is going on I get the twitching until I get the level back up. It's a tricky thing. Alot of things cause the twitching.
    Hi,
    I never knew that allergy meds can cause twitching - I live on zyrtec two seasons of the year. I'm also peri-menopause and hypothyroid. I became hypo at age 38 - didn't have twitching then - but I do now. Started peri around age 47. Allergies around 44 or so, but never took anything for them until they got worse ar around 46. So I guess this is all a big circle of cause and effect - I hope it get better when it's all said and done.
    I'm 51 now - still not quite menopausal, but getting closer. Getting a period eery 3-4 months, still have bad allergies, and still hypo.

mary

Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
    bluidmom
    (female)

bluidmom HB User

Missy222:
    Hi, I have MS and Hypothyroid so I get the twitches too! My husband gets them as well, he's a diabetic. We have the same family doc and he suggested eating a banana before going to bed. It has helped my husband somewhat but not me all the time. The reason: Potassium! People who have low levels of potassium can have problems with restless legs and twitches at rest. If you don't want to eat a banana before bed just make sure you're eating potassium rich foods during the day. It has really helped my husband and me at times.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Bluidmom,

Thanks for the advice, I will try a banana tonight. I have been twitching non stop since June. It used to drive me crazy, but now I am just used to it.

Missy

Last edited by missy222; 10-29-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Closed Thread