It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Low estrogen birth control pills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2002, 09:11 AM   #1
    sandiegoros

sandiegoros HB User
    Question Low estrogen birth control pills

I was diagnois with perimenopause, he put me on low estrogen birth control pills, has this helped anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2002, 03:08 PM   #2
    AllyMcBeal

AllyMcBeal HB User
    Hi Sandie, yes, they have helped me immensely. I'm 46 (almost 47) and I'm not sure how much longer I can stay on them. I dread the day I have to quit as they have helped me a lot. FYI, I take Mircette. Ally

Old 07-18-2002, 07:44 AM   #3
    sandiegoros

sandiegoros HB User
    Wink

Hi Ally, how long did you see that it was working? About 3-4 weeks? I am 40 yrs old and had that same feeling of perimenopause since I was 36 yrs old (my mom started her menopause at 35 yrs old). It just thru the years, it has gotten worse. I just started taking it Monday so I am excited for it to start working. I can't remember what I am taking but I can let you know later. Did you have anxiety/panic and just irritable all the time? Thanks for replying-Rosalind

Old 07-18-2002, 11:08 AM   #4
    AllyMcBeal

AllyMcBeal HB User
    Hi Rosalind, give yourself at least a month or maybe even two to get the full benefit of the pills. I was having mood swings, heart palps and minor hot flashes. The pills help, though I still have problems the week before my period. Also, the period is much lighter with no cramps and only lasts a few days. Ally

Old 07-18-2002, 01:41 PM   #5
    sandiegoros

sandiegoros HB User
    Cool

Thanks Ally, the doctor said my periods should be lighter, he said it will help my anxiety and my heart palpations....the night sweats I can live with but the rest.....no way....lol.

Old 08-27-2002, 06:51 PM   #6
    a2ni

a2ni HB User
    Talking

I was tested for premen. about 2 yrs. ago & showed positive. I'm 46 now. In the beginning I had trouble with hot flashes & irregular periods. Mine are not heavy,only last maybe 4 days, sometimes clotty, but would skip a month or maybe have 1 every 10 days. I was put on low dose BC pill. Aleese(sp). It seemed to help with in the first month. However, now I notice spotting/discharge in between periods, awful mood swings, & depression. So far the hot flashes haven't returned. I also took soy tablets for that & it seemed to help too. I resently moved to Ma. so I am in the process of finding a new Dr., preferrably a woman! I have been hearing a lot about the cream so I intend to mention it when I go for my pap. Since my mother's sister had both breast removed, I am not wanting to go with HRT. I've read a few things about tetesterone cream, any one tried that? I understand most Drs. are reluctant to prescribe it. However, many women have found it helpful with the loss of sex drive. Does the p. cream do anything for that problem?
    Very interesting column....thanks...Anni

Old 08-28-2002, 05:08 PM   #7
    DottieMae

DottieMae HB User
    Hi, everyone. I've posted in other topics but this one interests me today because yesterday my gyn suggested low estrogen bc pills. I had my eighth child when I was 40, another ob/gyn put me on the same pill from from the time I was 41 until I was 47, not for symptoms, just to make sure I didn't have a ninth child!!! She took me off when they found a MVP & mild arhythmmia but the cardiologist said he saw no reason for her to do that. I didn't start having perimen. symptoms until early this year ... soon to be 51. Now this new gyn says it's the best way to go. She's on them, too... says the other ob/gyn never needed to take me off them.

Okay, so is there any fear in staying on these pills into our 50's for anyone here? Do they really help with the anxiety? Some days I'm convinced I have chronic anxiety and the insomnia has gotten really bad. I guess the MVP & arythmmia is ramped up lately because of the perimen. too, lots of you out there seem to complain about the heart palpitations ... I really hate those, too. I guess if these pills really help to even me out, then I'll try them again.

I'm ready for any feed back I can get from you ladies before I decide to use the pills. Anybody seen any good reading on the subject?

Old 08-28-2002, 05:37 PM   #8
    AllyMcBeal

AllyMcBeal HB User
    Hi, a friend of mine, who is a RN, swears that the low dose BCP is 'the way to go' and says that yes, you can remain on them into your 50's as long as your mammos are OK and you do not smoke. She said that through her research she has found that the low dose BCP is safer than the HRT. I plan on staying on the Mircette for as long as I can. Ally

Closed Thread