It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Whoa...so those are night sweats!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2002, 05:40 AM   #1
    CrazyCats4

CrazyCats4 HB User
    Red face Whoa...so those are night sweats!!

I had an awful day yesterday, running back and forth, getting stuck in traffic, being late to pick up my daughter, having to stand in line with a gazillion kids buying school supplies. By the time I got home I was so hyper. Decided to go to bed early, esp. since I haven't slept more than 2 hours for the previous 2 nights. Turned off my light and fell into a deep sleep, for all of 1 1/2 hours! Then woke up absolutely drenched! My hair was stuck to my head and neck, my nightshirt was bunched up and looked as if it just came out of the washing machine. The sheets... lets not even go there!

I kicked off all the blankets and opened the window on my side of the bed wide. I could feel a nice cool breeze coming in (it was in the high 50s), my feet were getting chilly, but the upper part of my body was in its own steam room.

I waited and it eventually passed, so I rolled over and attempted to go back to sleep. Ha! The next thing I knew was the heat was starting again. Kicked off blankets, tried clipping hair on top of head. Moved to center of bed to find a 'dry' spot. Again, it subsided, I got chilly, rolled back over and closed my eyes. And....

Yup, again. I don't know how many hot flashes/night sweats I went thru, I just know I hope I never have another night like that. One minute I was fine, the next I felt like someone had slathered Heat or Ben Gay in my groin area and worked their way up. I could actually feel each bead of sweat "pop" out of my forehead. Then my whole body would bake for a while, then it would slowly go away, leaving me damp and chilly.

Woke up with what felt like a sinus headache and my period (21 day cycle). So after this lengthy post, does anyone notice that hot flashes/night sweats are brought on by stress and/or menstruation? I think I've had maybe 3-4 hot flashes in the past 2 years, nothing like this.

Thx,
    CC

[This message has been edited by CrazyCats4 (edited 09-07-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2002, 08:43 AM   #2
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    Now wait until peri menopause sets in and you get these night after night in streaks of a week or two at a time. The best thing you can do is get up and change your night clothes and cool off at the sink with cool water to refresh yourself.

Old 09-07-2002, 11:27 AM   #3
    AllyMcBeal

AllyMcBeal HB User
    I'm 47 and on the low dose BCP, but I get hot flashes right before each period. It is an indicator to me that my period is imminent. I've also had occasional night sweats but nothing like what you describe. Talk to your healthcare professional if you continue to be uncomfortable. Life is too short to be miserable, uncomfortable and unable to enjoy. Ally

Old 09-08-2002, 02:15 AM   #4
    Netta1958

Netta1958 HB User
    Smile

When that happens to me, just prior to my meses, I put on an osculating fan and drink some cold water from the fridge. In a few moments I feel better, and the fan helps me to get back to sleep. When I get chilly I put my covers up but sometimes I'll keep my feet uncovered so the heat can escape and the cool air cools off the circulation through my feet to the rest of the body. Hope this might help you.

Curious, has anyone also experienced leg cramps and/or leg problems accompaning the hot sweats? Oh, man, do those drive me nuts! I have to get someone to message my legs when those start and I have to use a mentholated get like Mineral Ice and keep leg warmers on them to ease my discomfort. Next day I feel much better. This usually happens just prior to my menses.

Blessings all!
    Netta :waving:

Old 09-08-2002, 02:18 AM   #5
    Netta1958

Netta1958 HB User

Old 09-10-2002, 12:28 PM   #6
    blondegal
    (female)

blondegal HB User
    Hi Netta: for awhile I was experiencing leg cramps during the night. My husband told me this little trick used by scuba divers when they get leg cramps. That is stretch your toes upward toward your head when you first begin to feel cramping. If you are lying on your back just aggressively point your toes toward you head. - pull and stretch as hard as you can. It works for me - they disappear immediately (the stretching of the calf muscle releases the kink.) Let me know if it works for your leg cramps. You're right they can drive ya crazy!

Old 09-11-2002, 07:13 AM   #7
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    Having someone massage your legs is ok but always remember to rub in a downward motion just in case there would be a blood clot causing your leg discomfort that you don't know about. Also leg cramps can be a sign of not getting enough calcium so you may want to increase your calium intake so see if that helps with your leg cramps regardless of when you get them.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:28 AM   #8
    NJCarol

NJCarol HB User
    Hi everyone!
    Am new to this board and in the same boat as everyone and an having extreme difficulty coping. I'm 45 have not had a period in 3 months. The hot flashes and night sweats are unbearable. My doctor has put me out of work for two weeks and I fear I'm going crazy. I had experienced the sweats about a year ago and started herbal remedies and progesterone cream and they went away but they are back now with a vengence I'm up every hour and a half. I started taking triest yesterday. Funny thing is my doctor didn't even do any blood work she said oh your menopausal and depressed I think you need to find another job. Has anyone out there had to explain this horror to an employer. She put me out on leave due to stress and I'm ashamed to go back to work. On the verge of being fired because I can't remember anything and get confused and panicey due to the stress level at work...Sorry just venting but I feel like I'm losing everything and will become a bad lady due to my hormones!

Closed Thread