It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Frustrated : Questions on perimenopause

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2003, 08:11 AM   #1
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Post Frustrated : Questions on perimenopause

Hi,

Thanks ahead of time for reading this long post.
    I have never posted on this menopause board before but I am getting more and more stressed and I guess I need to vent and get some input from those going thru similiar things. I have been reading a bit on here and it has helped, so I thank all of you, but thought I'd also add a post myself to perhaps get some feedback.

I am 49 and have had peri symptoms for the last few years..(mid 40s I think) mainly some irregular periods, in the way of earlier than usual periods or sometimes getting it later than usual and also some nightsweats but those have not happened for awhile. But other than that I have been really lucky with not too many symptoms other than feeling more anxiety during my cycle and moody.

WELL..as of this year I have been having discomfort first of all mid cycle...diahhrea which is normal for me at that time but it seems to be more so than before and more achiness than usual. It seems that since my cycles are shorter, (instead of 28 days sometimes 22 or 24), that I am feeling like I am having symptoms a lot of the time...mid cycle and then right before my period.

Also...recently I had a back problem where my back went out and an xray was taken and it shows some arthritis. I have gone thru physical therapy and am now seeing a chiropractor. It has helped but I am told that during our periods that the situation will be more inflammed. So I guess our hormones can affect this too. I know there was a recent post about this.

Actually one of my questions is for those of you with back problems who notice it is worse during perimenopause or when you have your periods. Do you have some abdominal muscle ache or discomfort also involved?? Or even if you do not have back problems do any of you notice this. It is not where the gallbladder is, so not high It is more on the line of the navel but to the right and kind of like when I am ovulating. It is not constant. The muscle is tighter and more congested feeling for lack of a better word, not pain, but just that I am aware of it.

The chiropractor said that since my pelvis is unaligned that the abdominal muscles would also be affected too at times. But it seems to be more when I do have my period. I get worried it is other things but I do not have any digestive problems or anything like that.

I know this is rambling and this message is really indicative of how rambling my brain is right now as I am so frustrated with not feeling totally myself!! I know that this is not a major thing and seem to be making it into one and not being able to control my anxiety. How do you all cope with feelings of anxiety and worry over every little symptom during perimenopause?

Thanks ahead of time for listening and any input or help you can offer to a basket case here!!

rmc13

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 08:30 AM   #2
    rochelle584

rochelle584 HB User
    I can relate totallt I mainly posted on this site because of backpain. And yes I also have the exact problem abdominally right around my middle but mine is more constant than on & off I am to the point that I feel like I cannot even have any clothes that touch me there and have always been very concious about how I lookes and now its more for comfort than what looks good . I have over the past few days taken a generic naproxen sodium pill for pain and at least I did sleep a littl e better Mine is not related to periods though as I had a partial hysterectomy 10 years ago still have ovaries though so guess I still have cycles thats what the quacks say.
    Good luck Susan

Old 09-24-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Thanks, Susan. It is always helpful to know that somebody is experiencing similiar things. I know what you mean about wearing things for comfort. I find too that I have to wear things that are not so fitting when that is bother me and it is frustrating. But I think it does aggravate it so comfort is best.

You mentioned you were taking a generic naproxen sodium pill. How did you know to take that and what is it for? Glad it is helping you.

Thanks again.

rmc

Old 09-24-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
    rochelle584

rochelle584 HB User
    THE GENERIC NAPROXEN SODIUM IS aLEVE AND HELPS WITH ARTHRITIS SYMPTOMS BASICALLY I HEARD IT ON A COMMERCIAL AND THOUGHT WHY NOT GIVE IT ATRY AND IT HAS HELPED AND HELPED ME SLEEP BETTER THRU THE NIGHT
    HOPE IT HELPS LET ME KNOW SUSAN

Old 09-24-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Susan..thanks for the tip on the Aleve. It was ironically suggested to me recently for the arthritis in my back. I am going to get some today.

How long did it take for you to feel a difference with the side feeling by taking the generic Aleve?

Thanks,

rmc

Old 09-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #6
    rochelle584

rochelle584 HB User
    I only took 1 and felt a decrease in pain within 1 hour and that night I slept better and have taken 1 every day since with a slight decrease each day. I am not one for much medicine so I only go with the smallest amount and endure the pain whenever tolerable try it and I am sure it will give some relief unless its from something else good luck, Susan

Old 09-28-2003, 11:37 PM   #7
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Hi again,

yes, I am taking the Aleve now and seems to be helping ...thanks!! I still feel it though now and then and it still freaks me out since I think that it is something else of course. It is not really pain but an achiness really. It does not seem to be related to eating at all and as I said there is not any big digestive problems. It almost feels like when I am ovulating.

I did go to the gyn. this week and do not have a UTI or vaginal infection and she checked my ovaries out and said they were fine. She said that if I am having back problems which I am...my pelvis is unaligned due to arthritis and I am seeing a chiropractor for it...that this can cause discomfort in our stomach or abdominal muscles too as that is related to the pelvis. SO it may be that too.

Thanks for the tip on the Aleve and for your input.

rmc

Old 09-28-2003, 11:38 PM   #8
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Hi again,

yes, I am taking the Aleve now and seems to be helping ...thanks!! I still feel it though now and then and it still freaks me out since I think that it is something else of course. It is not really pain but an achiness really. It does not seem to be related to eating at all and as I said there is not any big digestive problems. It almost feels like when I am ovulating.

I did go to the gyn. this week and do not have a UTI or vaginal infection and she checked my ovaries out and said they were fine. She said that if I am having back problems which I am...my pelvis is unaligned due to arthritis and I am seeing a chiropractor for it...that this can cause discomfort in our stomach or abdominal muscles too as that is related to the pelvis. SO it may be that too.

Thanks for the tip on the Aleve and for your input.

rmc

Old 09-28-2003, 11:46 PM   #9
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    THis may appear twice since I tried sending once and it did not appear ...so here goes again...

Just wanted to update you...I did take your advice Susan and am taking the Aleve which seems to be helping. I did go to my gyn. this week and do not have a UTI or vaginal infection and she also did an exam and checked my ovaries and they were fine.

She did say if my pelvis is unaligned (which it is and I have been seeing a chiropractor) that that in itself can cause abdominal muscle aches as it is all connected. She said back problems can affect it all. So wanted to pass that on to you.

The feeling has lessened but it does happen now and then and it still freaks me out as I start to imagine the worse. I wish I knew how to deal with the anxiety better , controlling it that is as it seems to be part of this perinmenopause thing too!!

rmc

Old 09-29-2003, 08:43 AM   #10
    MagnaV45

MagnaV45 HB User
    Hi!
    I have the same feelings as you described when I am at mid-cycle, for me thats 7-8 days after my last period. The female ob/gym I see explained about my ovaian cysts cycling with the rise and fall of estrogens. Some months I can't stand up straight, others its more of a tight, pinching feeling. Kind of like someone has grabbed ahold of something inside of me and is holding tightly to it, sometimes they squeeze and sometimes not. I think you are right about it being when you ovulate. Good luck. :0
    R.

Old 09-29-2003, 09:23 AM   #11
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Thanks for your repsonse Magna...

That is very helpful as for me too it is more so when I am ovulating. Do you also have more diahhrea or stomach disturbances of that sort when you have this?I also think I may be just working myself up into a frenzy about it all and that can't make my intestines or muscles relax very well either!!

Thanks for the input on the cyst and ovulation and for listening.

rmc

Old 09-30-2003, 11:33 AM   #12
    rochelle584

rochelle584 HB User
    rmc12 sorry i have been busy and not able to respond Glad to hear aleve is helping. I to suffer from irritable bowels with diahrea or loose bowels at least once a day wish I knew what it was always thinking some thing else is wrong with me. i dont know any more I go the DR. on Friday maybe I need a chiropractor as well i cant really relate it all to anything hane not had a period in over 10 years since i was 31 but supposedly since I still have my ovaries i'm supposed to be ok anyway started taking paxil cr one week ago
    i guess to early to tell if it is working any way any idea with the diahrea let me know.
    susan

Old 09-30-2003, 11:36 AM   #13
    MagnaV45

MagnaV45 HB User
    RMC
    Ya, I have trouble with diarrea at that time too. Also extra tired and off my food. Cramp, but that may be from the extra bowel movements.
    Some months the pain is so bad I can't stand it without prescription meds. Other months it is livable but it still sucks. No matter what you do the pain is there.
    Another tidbit--ovaries are "sympathetic organs" in other words, when one side hurt due to a cysts or ovulation, the other side helps out by hurting too!
    Wish I had better news.
    Best to you, R.

Old 10-01-2003, 01:32 PM   #14
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Hi...just wanted to tell you who have responded that I did go to the doctors as a followup to my back problem since I had the appt already scheduled.

SO I took the opportunity to ask him questions about the side feeling and the diahhrea, etc, etc. He told me that at perimenopause the issues with the back will flare up more if we have them and likewise our bowel sensitivities can flare up too. (independently and sometimes in conjunction with the two) He feels that the achy side feelings I have had are due to spasms in the colon or better known as irritable bowl which a lot of people have anyway but at this time of life it flares up if one has a tendency towards it, in some people.

He did feel the area and felt aroudn a lot, and checked out the appendix and gallbladder and also with that and my symptoms which are not at all in line with either of those I felt better about that. he said I would be having way more digestive problems (vomiting, a lot of severe pain, foods really bothering me and putting me in pain, etc. more extreme and not this type of situation).

He did say that the fact that I stress about it does inflame the situation which I know but he said that certainly he understood as it is all these symptoms at once. So it was a good visit and I do feel a bit better. I have always been a person who when I am stressed my intestines do go into an uproar so i guess it should not surprise me where that is concerned.

He suggested more fiber (metamucil wafer a day) and keeping up with exercise which I have not been able to due to my back but am now getting back to my routine. He said that will help the back muscles too and the abdominal muscles too as they are tight. He said that they are right near the colon area where I had the sensitivity and so they both play on each other as far as the spasms.

I just thought I'd let you know what happened when I went. Everyone's situation is different I know but I hope this helps as you all have and continue to help me. This board really helps me realize I am not alone and am not the only one having these situations.

Thanks again.
    rmc

Closed Thread