It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Perimenopause and adrenal function

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
    Perimenopause and adrenal function

Hi gals,

I was wondering if anyone knew if perimenopause can effect adrenal function?

The past few weeks, I feel like my fear or flight response is in high gear. I can be sitting very calm and relaxed and then all of a sudden, I feel a strong increase in my blood pressure, extremely hot in the face and extreme anxiety for absolutely no reason at all. It's almost like my body has released some kind of chemical or something! It's really hard to describe and it's not like a hot flash. Another symptom I'm having is a salt craving, but on my last blood test it showed a low sodium reading.

I have asked my doctor to check my hormone and adrenal functions, but still she refuses and still states it's from anxiety. At this point, I am unable to change doctors because of my insurance.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice on adrenal function?

Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
    liverpool sue
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

liverpool sue HB User
    Re: Perimenopause and adrenal function

missy, that's exactly how my hot flashes started, like an adrenaline fizz which spread upwards and then downwards and then the heat would follow. i'm not saying that's what you're experiencing, but that's what it was like for me.
    from what i've read, at this age we women crave more highly flavoured food, be it salt or spice or whatever. for myself, i've always loved marmite but only spread very thinly. however, i noticed that over my peri years i'd put more and more on my toast, and had to stop buying crisps because i would eat packets and packets of them, craving the salty/tangy taste.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
    liverpool sue
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

liverpool sue HB User

i've just been doing a bit of research on this whole business of adrenaline and the link with hot flashes:
    adrenaline is a hormone produced in the adrenal glands which are situated just above the kidneys. adrenaline speeds up the heart rate, dilates blood vessels and increases blood flow. blood which is held in the core of our bodies is hotter than that which is near the surface. when we get an adrenaline surge, the hotter blood gets circulated round our bodies too quickly and makes us have a hot flash.
    i'm not quite sure WHY we get an adrenaline dump though, but i'm thinking as it's a hormone, and all our other hormones are in a state of flux, then maybe adrenaline is too, and also the lack of oestrogen and progesterone probably has an impact on it all too.
    so, does that make any sense to you?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
    lKaz
    Inactive
    (female)

lKaz HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Perimenopause and adrenal function

Makes sense to me! LOL. One would think that it COULD trigger the adrenal glands in response to the hormonal fluctuation.

On another note, wanted to say that it's so sad some doctor's are not willing to do testing today. I found it's in particular doctor clinic's; and in my opinion, it is no longer about sound health care but about money.

Hope you can find a better doctor Missy! I was in the same situation, and changed clinic's altogether. Now I have a PA whom I love! He even gives me a hug after a visit! LOL. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Gals,

Thanks for the responses. My "normal" hot flashes that I have been getting feel like just that; a hot flash. All of a sudden, my face and chest feel hot and that's about it. But this new symptom is really kind of scary. It's like someone just scared the witts out of you and it sends me into an extreme panic. It's just the strangest thing!!! I swear it feels like my body has just released a poison in my system!!

What the heck is next? This is getting just plain rediculous!!! If I am having these bad symptoms during peri, does that mean when my periods stop it's going to get even worse? I am just scared as what to expect next. It seems every week it's something new and I have just about had enough! I was just wondering if anyone else might be experiencing this too. Misery loves company ya know!!!!!

Missy

Old 01-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
    lKaz
    Inactive
    (female)

lKaz HB User
    Smile Re: Perimenopause and adrenal function

Hi Missy, everyone! I have experienced some anxiety, however, I'm on an anti-anxiety medication called Paxil (is also a mild antidepressant). So the panic attacks aren't that severe (as they were normally for me before). Have you considered using something like this Missy?

One has to take them every day, and wean off slowly when quitting them (due to possible withdrawal symptoms). I don't know if it's right for you, but has helped me. Also, when I have a very bad day, when I'm feeling the anxiety, my doctor gave me a 'script for Valium (a tranquilizer). I don't take this regularly, just as needed. It's an old fashioned remedy that works for me! I take a very small dose only on rare occasions (in addition to Paxil every day), as higher doses make me want to sleep. It takes the edge off immediately.

On another note, I'm looking into natural remedies to relieve my night sweats and hot episodes. Have started extra calcium, soy protein & natural enzymes with probiotics; and want to try black cohosh soon. I hope this works for these symptoms, as I am not a candidate for HRT (having other serious health issues).

Well I hope I've helped. As I've said before, what works for one person may not work for another. But those anxiety attacks are no fun! I know. Good luck! Luv, ~lKaz

Closed Thread