It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Merry Go-Round of Menopause

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
    seabell
    (female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User
    Merry Go-Round of Menopause

Happy Spring all!

Back in January I posted about having a period after 22 months of not bleeding. Needless to say, I was very concered, even thou I had all the symptoms of it being just a regular period. Two weeks prior to bleeding, I felt I was ovaulating, had a clear discharge, breasts became so tender.

All tests that my Gyn did came back A-ok. Pap, biopsy of cervix, sonograms, and althou my uterine wall was thickened a bit, the biopsy of it came back negative (hurt like a son of a gun and my gyn was lucky she got a sample as I damn near propelled myself right off the table!)

So...about 2 weeks ago, got that familiar twinge in my tummy, clear discharge for a few days (my sign of ovaulation) and for the past 2 weeks my breasts are killing me. Everytime I go to the bathroom I'm checking for a period.

My gyn said that if I bled again, she'd see me in the operating room. She wants to stick a camera up there to see what's going on and possibly do a DnC. Is this all necessary if it is just a period? Could it be just a period?

I'm supposed to go away this weekend to visit my daughter at college (another strange thing is that both times I ovulated, she was home and ovaulating at the same time, we were always on the same cycle) but don't want to be far away from home in case something happens (uncontrollable bleeding).

HELP!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
    Re: Merry Go-Round of Menopause

Hi seabell,

Are you on any hrt treatment? This might cause abnormal bleeding after meno. It sounds like you have had all the right tests so far. It might be a good idea to have a Hysteroscopy (the camera up there) if you have more bleeding. The camera can see anything that might be causing it, fibroids, polyps, etc. It's far more reliable than just having a DnC. With a DnC, they are just scraping out the uterus without seeing what they are getting. Can't your doctor perform an office hysteroscopy without going into surgery?

Go visit your daughter at college, you will be fine. We can't let all this meno crap keep us from living our lives. Go and have a good time!!

Take care and let us know what happens,
    Missy

Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
    lKaz
    Inactive
    (female)

lKaz HB User

Hi!
    I agree with Missy here seabell, especially since you've missed periods for so long and with the irregularity. I'd go have fun and see your daughter. You can re-sched a visit to the gyno if needed.

However, as you seem to already know, serious bleeding can be an issue. Just keep an eye on it, using your judgement, if you need to be seen sooner than later.

Best wishes,
    ~Karen

Old 04-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
    seabell
    (female)

Update....even thou I went 22 months w/o bleeding, I am not menopausal! On a scale of 40 and over indicating menopause, I'm a 28. Weird. Thyroid is fine too. I have had regular periods all my life. Stress (I lost my Dad 2 1/2 years ago, only child went away to college, then hubby lost his job) played a huge factor I'm sure.

Have to watch for any eps of extreme bleeding or prolonged bleeding, other than that, I'll go back to my gyn next year.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Seabell,

Funny you should mention the hormone testing and being non-menopausal after not having a period for 22 months. When my sister quit having periods she went to have her hormones tested. She came back also as NOT menopausal. She hasn't had a period since in seven years!! Makes ya wonder how accurate these hormone tests really are!!!

Sorry about the loss of your dad, hope things are picking up for you and I am glad you're feeling better.

Take care,
    Missy

Old 04-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
    lKaz
    Inactive
    (female)

lKaz HB User

Yeah seabell, doctor's proclaim a woman post-menopausal after not having a period for 12 straight months! Am wondering how old are you? Sorry if I missed that. But as stated, hormone tests are NOT accurate during peri/menopause, due to fluctuating hormones. I'd get a 2nd opinion if I were you. Best wishes, ~Karen

Old 04-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
    seabell
    (female)

Hi Karen, I'm 53. Second opinion for what? I've been in peri for over 10 years, my periods became very irregular in the last 5 years, i.e. I missed my period for 9 months, got 2 more months apart before the 22 months w/o a period. I've had sonograms, biopsies of cervix and uterine, all of which came back normal.

What other testing can they do? What else would I be looking for? This is so confusing lol!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
    seabriz
    (female)

seabriz HB User

Hi seabell, Im new at this & very upset about spotting after not getting my last period in over 15 months. Everything seemed normal until last Wednesday and now 5 days later im still spotting. I just had a pap test in January everything seemed fine. I will call my gynecologist tomorrow. Cant imagine what shell say, since she told at that visit I wasnt going to get my period anymore. I know I have fibroids. Im glad i had a chance to read these messages. It made me feel alittle better. I just hope nothing involves surgery. I cant handle that

Last edited by seabriz; 04-18-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
    lKaz
    Inactive
    (female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies & welcome to the forum Seabriz!
    Seabell, I was just saying a 2nd opinion because you do sound post-menopausal to me, that's all. Because in your post earlier you had stated you tested not menopausal, so my thinking is that there's something not right there. From what I've read and heard from other women on this forum, I tend to think that hormonal testing isn't accurate during this time of life, due to fluctuating hormone levels. But more importantly, I wouldn't worry if I were you, since you've had all those tests. Seems your in good health! That's worth more than anything.

Seabriz, I have fibroids too (to which I've been told are harmless). But I continue to have brutal periods, be it however irregular. Ugh. LOL. Feels like my body is taking a beating these days. Especially lately. But don't worry hun, I'm sure the spotting is nothing serious. Glad you're checking it out with your gyno.
    Hope you both let us know how you're doing!
    Prayers for all,
    ~Karen

Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
    seabell
    (female)

Hey Seabriz...don't panic! I think we are all learning that there are no set rules our bodies follow while going thru menopause. Call your gyno just to be safe but I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.
    Karen...okay..thanks! Didn't want to have missed a test I should have had. I think we were all under the impression that I was post-meno...esp. my gyn. Thats why she sent me for the sonograms and biopsies w/o doing a hormone test. I think if I just woke up one morning and had bleeding, I'd be concerned, but both 'periods' were preceded by all those icky PMS symptoms I've always had.

I've changed my mind about the Merry Go Round...its more like a roller coaster!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
    lKaz
    Inactive
    (female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies!
    A roller coaster describes peri/meno well! LOL. I've been on this ride for 3 solid years now. Two years of night sweats/hot flashes, and another year with those PLUS irregular or missing periods. What a ride, lol! Glad this forum and you ladies are here, otherwise, I think I'd be really freaking out. I now know I'm normal in this abnormal peri phase of life. And more importantly, that I'm not alone!
    God be with us,
    ~Karen

Closed Thread