It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Please help - Is the perimenopause

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
    karlie0766
    (female)

karlie0766 HB User
    Please help - Is the perimenopause

Ladies - I need advice/help. I am 43 and am REALLY struggling with what I think is peri, but not sure. I have seen gynos/drs/psychiatrists, all of whom give me different diagnoses and say I am too young for perimenopause. This seemed to start in 2002 when I had my thyroid out for thyroid cancer. I am now cancer free (thank God) and am stable on thyroid meds. However, I struggle with depression, weepiness, fatigue, loss of interest, acne on back, irritibility, nausea, IBS, getting hot at night. My periods lately have been anywhere from 22 days to 42 days apart. Some days it's all I can do to make it thru the day. I work part time and it's a huge struggle, plus trying to keep up with my 2 kids. I sometimes cry all day. This seems to cycle. I will feel horrible (and mean barely able to function) for a month or so, then improve and feel almost back to myself, and then down into the black hole I go. I have tried antidepressants, bcps, bioidentical hormones, herbs, vitamins, you name it, and nothing has helped. Please tell me if you think this is peri? It is sooo hard to deal with and I am in tears as I type this.
    Karlie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
    Re: Please help - Is the perimenopause

Karlie: Yes, it could very well be peri. See if you can get your hormones tested by an endocrinologist. They will be able to tell you where your levels are at. PCP's and Gyno's won't do it. It's a long road for some of us. Some people go through it like nothing and others have a tough time. You can be 30 yrs. old and start with it.

If you can, try to read Dr. John Lee's books "What your doctor won't tell you about perimenopause" and he's got one on menopause too. See if you can get them at your library. Hang in there. Talk to the ladies on these boards. You'll learn alot.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
    karlie0766
    (female)

karlie0766 HB User

I have read lots of books on perimenopause. Dr. Lee's book really pushes using progesterone, which I have tried and did not find it helpful at all. I have had my hormones tested by both blood and saliva and both show low estrogen. Just wondering if the cycling of feeling bad for about a month or so, then feeling back to almost myself, then bad again is normal for peri?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
    lala52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User

Karlie:
    I think it has to do with your thyroid or a combo.Thyroid blood work is not the most reliable. Take your temperature every morning under your arm before you even get out of bedfor about a week. If it is low that is an indication of your thyroid medication not being enough. It is called basal temperature. This is the natural world of thinking. What area do you live in. I use a a natural dr in the new york area. He is great. Let me know what you think. Try going to the library and getting books out on thyroid problems. I had one but I can't think of the name of it. But it was a natural way of thinking. Speak soon. LaLa

Old 05-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
    lKaz
    Inactive
    (female)

lKaz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karlie0766 View Post
    ...Just wondering if the cycling of feeling bad for about a month or so, then feeling back to almost myself, then bad again is normal for peri?...
    Hi Karlie, welcome to the forum!
    Yes, irregular cycling is very common in peri. As a matter of fact, it's a sure way to tell if you are in fact peri-menopausal, along with hot flashes and night sweats. These are the most notable and common among the various symptoms women can experience during this change. And like stated here already, you are not too young to be starting it. I've seen several posts of women even younger than you starting peri.

Even though it sounds like you've "tried everything," there's an awesome herbal elixir called Womens Menopausal Formula that may be able to help you. It's from the tree of life and has many compounds to deal with most all aspects of peri/meno.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
    Michelle916
    (female)

Michelle916 HB User

I'm only 38 and going thru peri. already. And I work for a reproductive endocrinologist which helps...sometimes. I have an FSH level of 25 and that was 3yrs ago. But I was still getting regular periods up until March. Now I am on OCP's, just recently. haven't helped yet with my symptoms hense how I found this board I hate to ask my Dr I work for cause I don't want her to think I am crazy with all these symptoms I have lately.

Closed Thread