It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Concerned about my mother (57 year old woman)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
    jamieaw27
    (male)

jamieaw27 HB User
    Concerned about my mother (57 year old woman)

Hello. I am a 26 year old man and this is my first post on this site but i really need advice.

My mother is a 57 year old menopausal woman but she's been giving a hysteroscopy appointment in May.
    This is because she has been bleeding but she should no longer be having periods and the bleeding is very inconsistent.
    She was adopted so her genes aren't based on her foster family but she says that her family are all long lived.
    Although in the past she has had Meningitis and other problems there has been no sign of cancer but, after reading up on Hysteroscopy on the internet I came across Endometrial cancer. As you probably gather this is worrying me to death.
    On the positive side, the doctor says he's impressed with how small her medical history folder is and that her appointment was pushed back til mid-June.
    I have also spoken to her and my dad about my worries and, although they think I am worrying a bit too much they understand why it's worrying me.
    Am I being oversensitive and silly? I am mostly worried because I don't know what to expect and that my fathers medical history is bad and his dad died at 62 and my dad is 60. I don't want to loose both.

Anyway sorry for going on guys. Any advice to put my mind at rest will be very very much appreciated. God bless. Thankyou.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Concerned about my mother (57 year old woman)

Sorry this has you so worried. Postmenopausal bleeding CAN be a sign of cancer but in most cases it's nothing serious. The lining can get too thin causing it to be unstable hence the bleeding. Or some sporadic ovarian activity can also cause bleeding. So can polyps or fibroids and even atrophied vaginal tissues. I read the other day that about 80% of postmenopausal bleeding is nothing that needs treatment. The other 20% comprises non-cancerous and cancerous conditions that require some sort of treatment. So, no need to project. Hopefully, she'll fall in the approximate 90% that aren't cancer. It's surprising though that she has to wait until June to be seen. Once she gets a diagnosis, she can do specific research to understand all her treatment options (if treatment is needed) and choose the one that's right for her.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
    jamieaw27 (04-20-2013)
    Old 04-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
    jamieaw27
    (male)

jamieaw27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
    Sorry this has you so worried. Postmenopausal bleeding CAN be a sign of cancer but in most cases it's nothing serious. The lining can get too thin causing it to be unstable hence the bleeding. Or some sporadic ovarian activity can also cause bleeding. So can polyps or fibroids and even atrophied vaginal tissues. I read the other day that about 80% of postmenopausal bleeding is nothing that needs treatment. The other 20% comprises non-cancerous and cancerous conditions that require some sort of treatment. So, no need to project. Hopefully, she'll fall in the approximate 90% that aren't cancer. It's surprising though that she has to wait until June to be seen. Once she gets a diagnosis, she can do specific research to understand all her treatment options (if treatment is needed) and choose the one that's right for her.
    Thankyou for the reply.
    She has been tested for breasted cancer and such, and there has been nothing from that. If something were to be found cancerous, can it be cured?
    I think her doctor just wants to double check things. The estrogen did fix the problem for a time but it comes back now and again.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

As long as a woman has her ovaries, it's possible (not probable but possible) to have bleeding or even regular periods no matter her age. I agree with the previous poster - this is most likely nothing other than cysts or fibroids or something along those lines.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    jamieaw27 (04-20-2013)
    Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
    jamieaw27
    (male)

jamieaw27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    As long as a woman has her ovaries, it's possible (not probable but possible) to have bleeding or even regular periods no matter her age. I agree with the previous poster - this is most likely nothing other than cysts or fibroids or something along those lines.
    Thankyou for the reply.
    I suppose, at the crux of what im trying to find out is, could it be life threatening or could this be treatable?
    She has been tested for breasted cancer and such, and there has been nothing from that. If something were to be found cancerous, can it be cured?
    I think her doctor just wants to double check things. The estrogen did fix the problem for a time but it comes back now and again.

Last edited by jamieaw27; 04-20-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
    Silhoutte
    (female)

Silhoutte HB User

J 27..Do your best and leave the rest upon God Almighty. Everything will be okay...take your mind off those speculations and calculations....!!! Sincerely S.

The Following User Says Thank You to Silhoutte For This Useful Post:
    jamieaw27 (04-20-2013)
    Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
    jamieaw27
    (male)

jamieaw27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silhoutte View Post
    J 27..Do your best and leave the rest upon God Almighty. Everything will be okay...take your mind off those speculations and calculations....!!! Sincerely S.
    I will but do you believe that it's nothing serious?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Cysts and fibroids are not cancerous nor pre-cancerous so there should be no concerns there. I don't see anything in your first post about estrogen meds. Has she been on HRT? Did she get off? If so, that's probably part of the issue.

jamieaw27 (04-21-2013)
    Old 04-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
    jamieaw27
    (male)

jamieaw27 HB User

She has been on HRT for the past 6 months - 1 year. She hasn't been off but when she had her appointment last month she was given estrogen tablets and that sorted the problem, as she said anyway. She's never come off.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm confused. I've never heard of being on HRT AND additional estrogen. HRT has estrogen in it already. If the one you are on isn't working they usually just adjust the dosage. Perhaps they could just add more estrogen but that would be odd to just do it for one month.

jamieaw27 (04-21-2013)
    Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
    jamieaw27
    (male)

jamieaw27 HB User

Oh sorry. Yes the HRT is the estrogen tablets I was talking about. Got confused myself. I suppose that could all be the problem is.

I suppose I am just trying to work out what the worst could be.

Last edited by jamieaw27; 04-21-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Unopposed estrogen (estrogen taken alone without a progestin or progesterone) will cause the uterine lining to thicken. You didn't say if she's also taking a progestin or progesterone (P). If she continues taking estrogen, she'll need to also take P either continuously or cyclically to prevent lining proliferation.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
    jamieaw27
    (male)

jamieaw27 HB User

I think she's taking progestorone but that is one thing I am unsure about but it does ring a bell. What side effects of lining proliferation could there be?

Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lining proliferation can cause hyperplasia. During the reproductive years, lining build-up occurs on a monthly basis through the body's natural hormonal rhythms (in preparation for conception). If a woman uses hormone replacement after menopause, she has to have adequate progesterone or progestin to offset the proliferative effects of estrogen.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Women who still have their uterus should be on a dual med - estrogen and progesterone. Women without a uterus should just be on an estrogen. You mother is most likely having some sort of normal issue that many women go thru. You probably also don't have all the information you need. I would wait till all the testing is done and then ask your questions based on the diagnosis and finding out the exact meds and procedures that have been recommended by her gyno.

Closed Thread

Tags
    bleeding, cancer, endometrial, hysteroscopy, menopause