It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Low Estrogen at age 39... what to do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
    MollyW2013
    (female)

MollyW2013 HB User
    Low Estrogen at age 39... what to do?

So, I have been having weird tension headaches more frequently as well as feeling rather "foggy". The fog makes me feel just a little off, slightly spacey, but not dizzy. I also experience night sweats periodically. I went to my GP, who only tested for estrogen levels. I was only 5 days into my cycle, so not sure if it was the best day to test, but my estrogen came back at a 29. She said this was very low. She wants me to take estrodial. But, I am concerned about taking HRT. Should I have my progesterone levels checked as well? I'm wondering if this is perimenopause. And, if it may be, any advice on ways to pull myself out of this head fog? I feel like a stoned high school kid! LOL. But seriously, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Low Estrogen at age 39... what to do?

I'd see my gyno. Are you on birth control? If so, the timing of the test is very important. And since you are still having periods (or so I assume), you should be on bcp to regulate this. Is that what you're talking about?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
    MollyW2013
    (female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    I'd see my gyno. Are you on birth control? If so, the timing of the test is very important. And since you are still having periods (or so I assume), you should be on bcp to regulate this. Is that what you're talking about?
    I am not on BCP. My doctor says I am in perimenopause, at age 39. Does anyone else have low estrogen levels? Should I get my other levels checked? Thyroid?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
    SoundsFamiliar
    Inactive
    (male)

SoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB User
    Cool Re: Low Estrogen at age 39... what to do?

For strictly the mental fogginess, I suggest during blood tests you have your B12 level checked. If it's not 'high normal' I think you might benefit from taking a B12 supplement (Trophic brand methyl-B12 with folic acid tablets) worked well with my mom (coping with vascular/mini-stroke dementia), 3 tablets/day under her tongue.

sf

ps. I assume your GP allowed for the timing of 5 days (you could ask her) and thinks the 29 is very low for the 5 day point.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It's the FSH level that determines menopause. I suggest you see your gyno and go from there. BCP would be indicated if you are still having your periods.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear Molly, Blood tests for hormone levels such as estrogen are hard for most normal GP drs to read the lab reports accurately because they dont do these tests very often, its just a" snapshot" in time & certainly doesnt tell the entire hormone story said my dr but a reproductive endocrinologist, if you have access to one, is the most experienced with the entire endocrine system, pituitary, thyroid, ovaries, adrenals etc & with perimenopauseal women, even if not wanting another baby & i have been told by my dr that HRT with an intact uterus must include progesterone with estrogen, estrogen alone is only for women with a hysterectomy according to my ob/gyn. If i were you i would look for a reproductive endocrinologist, next an endocrinologist, next your ob/gyn but personally from my experience i wouldnt go to or take HRT from my GP.

Last edited by gmak; 09-27-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    estrogen, hormone, perimenopause