It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Anxiety, ibs, and progesterone dominance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
    Ann-84
    (female)

Ann-84 HB User
    Unhappy Anxiety, ibs, and progesterone dominance

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm in h***. I'm 46, definitely in peri menopause, and feel like I might not survive it.

I was diagnosed two years ago with generalized anxiety disorder, and put on Celexa and Ativan after being hospitalized several times with what I believed were heart attacks, but actually turned out to be panic attacks. I was given Ativan, which at the time seemed like the "Golden Ticket" but which I've since decided doesn't help as much as it use to. I try to avoid taking them more than a couple of times per week, but find myself needing them more and more as time goes on and my hormones seem more out of balance. Honestly, some days I truly feel that I'm losing my stupid mind!

I try very hard to get through the anxiety and ibs just by controlling my diet, but today, for instance, I ate a peeled cucumber from my own garden and THAT even caused me a problem! The ibs causes me almost unbearable anxiety and bodily inflammation.

I came to the conclusion last February, after much research, that bcps can cause intestinal inflammation, leading to ibs. I got with a naturopath right away who prescribed me bio-identical progesterone, and took me right off of bcps. I felt much better, almost right away -- for a while. The problem now seems to be that I'm progesterone dominant, and low in estrogen and testosterone. Has anyone else dealt with this? Could the progesterone dominance be the cause of absolutely crazy-making, full-body anxiety, leading to full-blown panic attacks?

The really funny thing is, when my stomach is feeling okay, I can get stressed without having anxiety, so which is causing which?

On days like today, when I'm at my wits end and last nerve, I'm exhausted from trying to meditate, deep-breathe, and otherwise talk myself down so that I'm not taking the Benzos for the anxiety. Up until just last week that was working more often than not. Today, however, I finally became so sick in my stomach, achy in my head and body, tight in my chest, and shaky all over and panicky, that I felt like I was going to pass out. My entire body felt inflamed and painful. It feels like the worst flu I could ever have! I finally gave in and took an Ativan, but I had waited too long and had to take a dose of Valium as well. NOT GOOD. I always feel so weak and guilty for taking the Benzos, and at the same time worry that by taking them too often they won't work when I need them, or that I'll start having rebound anxiety when they wear off. I just feel such a sense of relief when they start to work, and I begin to feel like myself again!

Oh, and I'd like to also mention that after about 25 years of being an extremely sexually active wife, and being very sexually interested since my mid-teen years, I am virtually without ant libido at all, which makes me feel like a complete stranger to myself...

The scary thing, however, is that these episodes are getting closer and closer together, and I'm really afraid that I'm just going to feel like this all the time! I stopped taking the Celexa about six months ago, and don't want to be on any kind of a psychotropic drug at all, but this is really starting to become a quality-of-life issue for me, and with no indication of just how long this may go on, frankly I'm scared to death! For the past couple of days I've been considering asking my PCP for Cymbalta, just to get through this period of time.

I also wanted to mention that I have the added stress of a fifteen year old son who has spastic quad cerebral palsy, and is totally dependent. I enjoy taking care of him tremendously, and he is a joy to me, but on days like today, with my husband at work and no caregiving available to help me, his care adds to my anxiety. There is a part of me that is afraid I will panic myself into passing out, or have to go to the hospital for a mental breakdown, and he will be left alone until my husband gets here.

Has anyone here had experiences with this kind of panic-inducing anxiety?

Should I try to supplement with estrogen and testosterone, or just lower my progesterone? I am taking 100 mg troches at bedtime daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
    valerie1962
    (female)

valerie1962 HB Uservalerie1962 HB User
    Re: Anxiety, ibs, and progesterone dominance

Hello Ann,

I'm no md so it's not easy to tell you what would help best but if you are on Progesterone alone then it does make sense that a lack of estrogen would bring all kind of symptoms including anxiety, stomach problems, lack of libido and body aches.

I totally get you in regards to benzos. They are no good on the long run and I think you do well taking them on "an emergency basis", when really needed and not on a regular basis so as not to get addicted.

The solution though would be to see a good gyn (female if possible - they usually can understand better what you are going thru) and work out a therapy which will eventually help you.

And yes, if you read these boards, you will find out many of us ladies have had episodes of anxiety/panic during perimenopause.

The Following User Says Thank You to valerie1962 For This Useful Post:
    Ann-84 (10-07-2013)
    Old 10-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
    Ann-84
    (female)

Ann-84 HB User

Thanks. I know we are all so individual, I just wish I knew how long...

Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
    valerie1962
    (female)

valerie1962 HB Uservalerie1962 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ann-84 View Post
    Thanks. I know we are all so individual, I just wish I knew how long...
    I know exactly what you mean. I hope you find a good gyn soon and get the help you deserve.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
    Hodge64
    (female)

Hodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB User

Hi Ann. If your progesterone is too high, it can certainly cause all that you describe. You probably needed some progesterone when you started it, but hormones in peri are always changing. What you needed then may not be what you need now. Your estrogen may have dropped and you are now out of balance. Before adding estrogen, I would try stopping the progesterone. Maybe it's causing all this anxiety if you don't need it. T

Closed Thread

Tags
    depression anxiety stress sadness dread, estrogen, panic attack taking my life away, progesterone cream, testosterone