It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Menopause misdiagnosed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
    Wendeborg
    (female)

Wendeborg HB User
    Menopause misdiagnosed

As a middle aged woman, I'm often told that symptoms are merely 'menopause' or something I must get used to as I get older. A good example of this was inappropriate crying that I suffered (and my husband and family suffered!) for several years. I changed doctors, and was prescribed paroxetine, which instantly corrected the problem. Wondering if there are other conditions that could be similarly misdiagnosed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Menopause misdiagnosed

It's hard to say if you were misdiagnosed. Many women take anti-depressants for menopausal symptoms, particularly those who should not take hormone therapy or those who are opposed to it for other reasons. My gyno tried to give me anti-depressants for perimenopause symptoms. I refused. I wasn't depressed - my hormones were messed up. Changed doctors, changed birth control prescription and all symptoms were gone 2 weeks later. When the time came, I switched straight to HRT. And I've never looked back. Am now 67 years old, still on HRT and everything is still great.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
    Louise Love
    (female)

Louise Love HB User
    Re: Menopause misdiagnosed

Wende,

I see a cardiologist for an arythmia...I was telling her my symptoms and that things had changed. She wanted to put me on a low dose antidepressant. I do believe that many do benefit. I'm not against them. But for me, I have a terrible intolerance to meds. My cardiologist mentioned that she was going through menopause so I asked her how old she was. She was exactly my age. To the month. I asked her if she was on an antidepressant and she smiled and said no. She takes HRT. She said she feels pretty good. But prior to that, she felt awful. So she does not even take the very thing she prescribes to her patients. Her journey is different and best for her.

My cousin does take an antidepressant because she can not take HRT--she is a breast cancer survivor.

To answer your orginal question...I read about a woman who was having terrible flushing and feeling so hot. Not a hotflash that caused perspiration but one that causes a furnance kind of heat feeling. I know there is a hot flash called a slow ember flash. The woman was told she was going through menopause and it was really a carcinoid tumor. And the other way around....a woman being told she may have cancer because dry hot flashes don't exist. There are many other symptoms besides the common 34. From what I have read.

I guess we all just need to take the path that helps the most. Follow your instincts.

Closed Thread

Tags
    depression, multiple scerosis