It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• horrific menopause

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
    maggzz
    (female)

maggzz HB User
    horrific menopause

I had a hysterectomy when I was 47 and I went into the menopause fully about a year later. I've had every symptom there is and in the end I gave in and went on HRT. It gave me sore breasts and mine are big so that was no joke. I kept cutting the dose till I was on 1mg tablets and that seemed to be OK but my GPs doesn't like to keep people on HRT for more than 3 years after the age of 50. I tried coming off it but I was thrown right back to where I was when I first went on it. I thought that HRT saw you over the symptoms. I didn't realise that all it did was press the pause button and when you stopped you were right back where you started. Anyway I went back to my GP and begged to go back on it at the lowest dose possible. Now I have 25mg patches and all they're really doing is reducing the symptoms to a tolerable level. I still get hot flushes but I'm not just one constant hot flush from morning till night like I was before. I still break stuff, just not quite so much and I'm still a bit nutty and forgetful.
    If I went up a dose I could eliminate all these symptoms but I'm reluctant to do that. I've been told that if you liken the menopause to going down a hill then all I've done is put the brakes on a bit. Hopefully this means that when I do stop HRT which is going to have to wait till I retire I will have got a lot of symptoms out of the way and it won't be quite so bad. I'll be nearer the bottom of the hill so to speak.
    What's everyone else's opinion on this. I want to hear from other people who suffer as everyone I talk to seems to just sail through it.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: maggzz
    WhistleDixie (01-05-2014),yayagirl (01-01-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: horrific menopause

You need to see a gyno not a GP. I've been on HRT for 10 years. I'll be 68 next month. My sister who is a year younger has been on it since her mid 30's due to a hysterectomy. We are both fine and wouldn't dare consider going off it...and neither would our doctors, gynos and GPs. You need a different doctor.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hi

There is HOPE!

I sure can empathize! I went into instant severe menopause after a complete hysterectomy. I started with Premarin, the 'horse' pills, and went up to the highest dose as the prescription gradually helped less and less. It was a horrible time. Then I quit hormones for years and tried various natural supplements with no real relief, until I found out about bio-identical hormones. Now I have the combination of female hormones that I personally need mixed by a compounding pharmacist, and they mail the refills to me. And I have no insurance, and the cost is not bad. I see the doctor twice a year, and he keeps my refills available.

Call around and find a Naturopathic MD and ask if he or she understands and is willing to prescribe bio-identical hormones. The doctor then interviews you in an appointment, and prescribes based on your personal symptoms, since which hormone component does what is now known.

Let us know if you find a good doctor. If you can't find one locally there are some reputable doctors that will work with you long distance online. I find that they usually charge more than I want to pay, so I will travel to see my doctor, if necessary.

Last edited by yayagirl; 01-01-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've been on 2 different HRTs - mostly due to insurance issues - and neither was Premarin. They don't seem to prescribe that much around here as I don't know anyone on it any more. I'm on Activella right now and have been on FemHRT before.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
    AnnT1
    (female)

AnnT1 HB UserAnnT1 HB UserAnnT1 HB User

To clarify: the original poster probably IS already on bioidentical hormones if the 1mg pill is estradiol and if the patch is estradiol. No need for compounding pharmacies as many pharmaceutical companies make estradiol in different doses.

The 0.025 patch is very low dose and is usually not effective in controlling menopausal symptoms. It is more useful for bone health.

I would go up to the dose that you felt best at and continue it always. Estrogen is protective for the brain/heart/bones and overall health.

And many women do fabulously on premarin, also, . I know women who were on premarin, went to patches, then went back to premarin saying they just felt better on it. It just depends on your body chemistry.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-04-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
    Daisymaisie
    (female)

Daisymaisie HB User

So sorry you're suffering, it can be hell that's for sure. A lot of women are suffering, sometimes they just don't want to talk about it!

I started feeling as though electricity/zapping was in my body, legs, back and head, that stopped then I just felt plain "weird", brain fog etc.
    The the dreaded waking up 3-4 times per night so HOT, push the covers off, freeze then pull then back on, over and over...felt hot during the day.

Honestly I was in tears, I wanted my old self back, where did she go??!!

I remember thinking I cannot be doing with this!!

I did a lot of research about all this, I didn't want to go on any hormone replacement.

It is very important to eat well, all the good stuff: protein, good carbs, good fats (don't leave these out) etc, cut sugar out, that's a big one.

I started taking Magnesium Citrate, the powdered kind, Citrate is the best form, I take 1 tsp in the am and 1/2 tsp in the evening, I mix it with water as it takes a bit nasty!

I also take Vit D3, 1000-3000 per day, Vit E 400, a good Vit B-Complex and very important a Vitamin B12, you need the B12 for brain function, many studies show this to be true. You can also take Calcium and fish oil but I don't, well sometimes fish oil.

I put flaxseed on oatmeal every day, 1-2 TBL a day.

Before I was in a car accident I exercised, I hiked up hills (very good to get out in the fresh air, even if you don't feel like it, do it, you will be glad you did)

Within a very short time of all the above....no more hotness at all!!! A miracle!! sleep was wonderful!! And..speaking of sleep, make sure it's top priority, I know that's a hard one but it's vital. Getting overtired makes everything much worse, even if you can take a short nap that will help.

I had so much energy it was unbelievable!

I used to get frazzled all the time, no fun, my nerves were on edge constantly, if I wasn't crying I was angry at something!!

I so hope you can find some relief, it is terrible, pure hell really. Hang in there.

PS. Noticed you had a hysterectomy, can't hurt to try the above and see another Dr too and see what they say. Good luck

Last edited by Daisymaisie; 01-01-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

I was given Premarin 20-25 years ago. Back then it was "the" female hormone. Not so anymore.

There are three major components to human female hormones (not just one) that can be tailored to your own symptoms to give you the specific relief you need, when compounded by a compounding pharmacist. Please look in to it.

There are hormone knowledgeable doctors and nurse practitioners. I find the Naturopath MDs to be most likely to understand and prescribe based on your unique needs.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Maggzz...I feel your suffering. I, too went through surgically induced menopause @ 33. My cancer surgeon told me beforehand to prepare for "a minimum of 2 years of pure HELL". My situation was different because not only could I NEVER EVER take HRT, I had to take tumor-suppressing meds for 7+ years.

I certainly didn't "sail through it". In fact, I'm still "drowning" in so many issues related to the damage done by stage 4 endometriosis (bowels and bladder) and hysterectomy/bilateral oopherectomy @ 33. I am 52 now.

There is no "one size fits all" no matter what you're told. It simply is not true. IF you can take HRT...then by all means, seek an endocrinologist to guide you. There ARE bio-identical HRT formulas to be compounded, but again no OSFA. You will need some trial and error to find what works for you...if anything.

Menopause teaches us to appreciate what we "had" as far as hormonal balance, and the SIGNIFICANT role that hormones play in our lives. It is a very personal decision as to whether you embark on HRT post hysterectomy. So much depends on your diagnosis/prognosis. I COULD NOT, because it would feed the disease that destroyed my anatomy. My bone density is nil. My joints are degenerated and so painful.

I don't recommend my route, because the road has been and continues to be so very ROUGH. If you are medically cleared (weighing the known risks vs. benefits) then IMO you should go for a consult about your current dosage vs. a different cocktail entirely. You DESERVE to feel better if it's at all possible=)

Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Your GP does not understand surgical menopause. It is very different from natural menopause. I am not discounting the severe symptoms some women have with natural meno. But an intact women's ovaries continue to produce hormones into her 80's.

I had a hysterectomy (worst day of my life) and I take generic Estrace. I was severely depressed (along with many horrific symptoms) before getting enough estrogen in my body. I only wish there was a fix for all the horrible things it did to my body (inside and out).

I have compiled studies about the effects of estrogen deficiency caused by ovary removal in case my doctor (or future doctors) refuse to prescribe estrogen. I wish there was a good testosterone replacement since intact women's ovaries produce pre-menopausal levels of testosterone in their 70's. Some women are helped by testosterone replacement but it hasn't done anything for me.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hot flushes, hrt