It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• early menopause and migraines

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
    agirlandherdogs
    (female)

agirlandherdogs HB User
    early menopause and migraines

Hi Everyone. I have a million questions regarding menopause treatments and what everyone has experienced. I have been battling symptoms for about three years, I will be 39 in a few weeks. I never had PMS with my period. Luckily when I started getting strange symptoms I had a new NP that set me up with testing right away and noticed things were off. We started with different treatments and since this menopause crap all started I also get side effects to medications like crazy. I never used to get that either. But that's another story. I am currently using the NuvaRing to create a more constant level of estrogen, and please forgive me if I'm relaying information wrong the memory is shot too! This is because 1) I was basically in a constant hot flash and 2) having horrible migraines. Well, the intensity of the migraines has gone down, but the frequency of headaches hasn't. I still get a headache pretty much daily and always in the afternoon. Never had headaches before the onset of peri-menopause. I brought up the headache issue with my NEW doc because of my change in insurance and he wants to be sure there isn't anything neurological going on. So I see neuro and have the CT and get prescribed Nortriptyline, which made me way to drowsy, so I get prescribed Topomax, which I question if it's working and if it really will given the migraines are hormonal?

Here is the main question. I am in the final week of the Nuvaring, days 21-28 and the migraine level is rising, it will continue to rise until I change the ring.

Have any of you been prescribed a headache medication for HORMONE related migraines that actually worked? Or did a hormone medication do the trick? I'm not thinking taking this extra medication, Topomax will do the trick on a hormone issue ... but that's just me, looking for someone with experience. Mayo Clinic loves to give out medication, but I don't like to take it without getting a true indication it's working, right now today I'd say it's not working ... migraine level headache.

any tricks / treatments for hormone headaches that I could try?

thanks much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
    dcs316
    (female)

dcs316 HB Userdcs316 HB User
    Re: early menopause and migraines

Hi, I know your question is a few days old but I was just browsing today and read it. I, too, began having numerous migraines during peri. I had had them occasionally before then but suddenly I was getting them several times a week. I was also referred to a neurologist who did the CT scan, etc. and determined they were hormone induced from peri. We tried Midrin which left me tired and spacey and made me sick. So he put me on Topamax and it was a godsend for me. The migraines quit just like that. I have maybe one or two a year, if that, and they're not as bad as they were before. I am so glad I went on it -- and I was very leery of trying it since I don't like taking daily meds. Now that I am actually thru menopause I intend to ask my neurologist at my annual appt. this summer if I need to continue to take it. I'd like to try to go off of it. But it has definitely gotten me thru the 7 yrs of peri. I hope this helped. Good luck to you. Diane

Closed Thread

Tags
    headache, hormone, menopause, migraine