It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Tendonitis/Joint pain people? Updates?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
noreaster88
(female)

noreaster88 HB Usernoreaster88 HB Usernoreaster88 HB User
Question Tendonitis/Joint pain people? Updates?

I'm curious as to whether anyone has found any solutions or had their symptoms abate as their menopause progressed?

I'm trying to train for a half marathon six months from now and I continue to struggle with stabbing/aching in my feet and lower shins. Ironically, I don't really have hot flashes but there are definitely days when I'd make that trade. It's hard to make any progress training-wise when I'm laid up for three days after a long run.

Massaging my problem areas, hot baths, icing after workouts are all helping some and I went bonkers and actually ordered a one-person infrared sauna that I'm hoping might help, but this has been going on for six months now and I'm discouraged. Still having periods every couple of months.

I see my PA in two months and may have to resort to BCP but I'm meds sensitive to the extreme and I'm scared I'm just going to open a whole new can of worms.

This never-ending buttkicker of a winter isn't helping the cause, that's for sure.

So does anyone have news on this issue? I'd really appreciate hearing from my fellow sufferers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
purplesushi
(female)

purplesushi HB Userpurplesushi HB User
Re: Tendonitis/Joint pain people? Updates?

I had plantar fasciitis appear out of the blue a couple of years ago - the heel pain was almost unbearable, especially at night & first thing in the morning. I was told as we age (ugh) we aren't as flexible, and perimenopause (of course) tends to exacerbate symptoms. I purchased a firm arch supporting orthotic for my shoes - the gel insoles don't do a darn thing - and within a month or so it stretched my arch & supported it to where the pain is gone. I now only wear the insole a couple days a week. BTW - I have a very high arch & never needed any arch support before - this is just another unexpected change...lucky me! ha!

The following user gives a hug of support to purplesushi:
noreaster88 (03-04-2014)
The Following User Says Thank You to purplesushi For This Useful Post:
noreaster88 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
jojopooh
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User

Same here, it started about a year ago, heel pain. My gyno suggested soaking my feet in epsom salt warm water baths. It helps, but I work on my feet all day and at the end of the day, my heels are sore. I will look into the orthotics, I'm sure it will help.

The Following User Says Thank You to jojopooh For This Useful Post:
noreaster88 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
ickypoo
(female)

ickypoo HB Userickypoo HB User

I have those aching stabbing pains but they are in my left leg above my knee and up to my hip. Some days it aches deep. I massage it a lot. It causes restless sleep too from the pain. I am in peri and my sister told me that's what it is. It none the less worries me. I do seem to have a lot more aches and pains. I do hope it gets better and not worse. Hope everyone finds that calmness we all need with our ever changing bodies. Big Hugs to All, Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to ickypoo For This Useful Post:
noreaster88 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
purplesushi
(female)

purplesushi HB Userpurplesushi HB User

I forgot to mention that my knees also hurt prior to using the orthotics - when your feet are out of alignment/whack, it throws your whole leg off. I no longer have hip pain either...go figure!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
noreaster88
(female)

Thanks, everyone. I did want to report back that after five days with my infrared sauna, using it for about a half hour a day at 125 degrees, my aches and pains are much improved. I'm trying not to get too excited about it because it may just a cyclical thing, but if nothing else, it feels wonderful.

Hope everyone is feeling better these days...

The Following User Says Thank You to noreaster88 For This Useful Post:
eileenj (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
eileenj
(female)

eileenj HB User

Just a thought, I read that over the counter claritin is supposed to help with muscle ache and joint pain side effects from breast cancer reducing medicines. Apparently these meds cause menopause like systems because they are made to block estrogen receptors. I have been in full blown menopause since Dec 4 and my biggest complaint is joint and muscle pain. I am going to give Claritin a try. I have nothing to lose and I "think" Claritin is harmless as its made for peoople who suffer with allergies (I believe).

Last edited by Administrator; 03-12-2014 at 02:49 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to eileenj:
noreaster88 (03-13-2014)
The Following User Says Thank You to eileenj For This Useful Post:
noreaster88 (03-13-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
noreaster88
(female)

Thanks for the info, sweetie. I will try that. (Hey, at this point, I'd trade in a kidney just to feel normal again.)

But I ran 10 miles on the treadmill today and can still walk, so maybe it's getting better!

Closed Thread

Tags
feet, joint pain, legs, tendonitis