It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Period for 10 Weeks +

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
    laylalove
    (female)

laylalove HB User
    Period for 10 Weeks +

HELP!! WHAT WAS YOUR LONGEST PERIOD???
    Hi...I'm new here and am very anxious to see if this is normal. I'm 47, overweight by 40 lbs. Periods were usually on 24 day cycle until late 2013. Then several 20-35 day cycles. Then 7.5 weeks went by without a period until 3/17/14...AND IT HASN'T STOPPED! 10 weeks, 71 days of moderate to HEAVY (with clotting) bleeding as of today. I always heard menopause was going to be different so I didn't worry too much. But after 2 months, I started asking post menopausal women and they all said "get to the dr. - that's too long!" I went for a consultation but then he needed to examine me. When he said he would take an endometrial biopsy, I asked "what if the cells you remove are on the healthy side of the uterus but there are actually cancerous cells on the other". His reply: "that's a good question" Hmmmm.
    While doing the transvaginal Ultrsound, he said the lining was VERY thick. But did not see anything else. He gave me 10 days of Progesterone/10 mg to stop the bleeding. The pharmacist and forum writers all said 3 days for the bleeding to stop. I'm on day 9...still going strong. He called in another brand today I am starting tonight. He said it was "Estrogen Breakthrough Bleeding" ...simply peri-menopausal symptoms due to hormone imbalances. I would feel better about this if I could find ANYONE who has bleed this long and it was just "the change" Also - biopsy was negative.
    I would so much appreciate hearing from as many women as possible what their longest periods were during their "change" THANKS!!!
    PS - during this long period, I had 2 occasions where it slowed to a very light spotting for 1-2 days. During this time, there was another type of clearish, constant discharge, like during ovulation.
    Also, has anyone had a negative endometrial biopsy but ended up actually having cancer?

Last edited by laylalove; 05-27-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: add detail

The following user gives a hug of support to laylalove:
    Patientone2 (05-31-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
    Patientone2
    (female)

Patientone2 HB User
    Re: Period for 10 Weeks +

Back in the fall of 2013 I had a 49 day bleed, ugh, dr apt, endo biopsy, bloodwork, ultrasound .. no cancer thank god, but I do have fibroids. For the time being, they settled down.

I've been in peri for 4+ years, seems that every form of bleeding, could be normal, slim possibility it's not so they have to check.

The endo biopsy was similar to taking a potato peeler to my uterus, it was not very painful just uncomfortable and weird feeling. 3 x my dr went in and shaved of long strips of my uterus, I saw them in the jar. It was more bloody than I expected but I guess not for everyone. My results were normal.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
    laylalove
    (female)

laylalove HB User
    Wink Re: Period for 10 Weeks +

Thanks so much for your post and I'm glad you tested negative for cancer. 4 years of peri - wow! Hope it ends soon for you. I'm on day 76 of bleeding now.
    UGH...is right! Quite a bit of pain too. My NEW gyno has me scheduled Tuesday for a hysteroscopy and a D&C. She said there's a reason the progesterone did not stop the bleeding and she's going to find out. Thanks for the "hug of support"

Old 06-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
    Patientone2
    (female)

Patientone2 HB User

How are you feeling ?

Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
    laylalove
    (female)

laylalove HB User

Well, it sure is nice to have stopped bleeding...77 days. Hysteroscopy found a very large polyp. Just got results back yesterday...benign (all the D&N tissue as well). Doc said polyp was reason for such a long & heavy bleed - good riddance!!!
    How are you doing?

Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
    Patientone2
    (female)

Patientone2 HB User

Doing ok, waiting to hear from my Dr on a repeat ultrasound on my fibroids. No bleeding or spotting for 6 months, the ultrasound tech told me she looked at my last scan and they haven't changed.

Hope my dr feels the same.

Hot flashes are driving me nuts though .. whew..

Old 07-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
    sandy67
    (female)

sandy67 HB User

How,s things been going after the procedure. I have had some bleeding too around 3 weeks before I was given meds too, to have it stop. I had a negative biopsy and still have to have the hydoscopy? done. This period was very heavy as well but dies down to nothing for about a day or so, no I am having some spotting. I get some PMS type symptoms, not too bad, but mainly this wonky bleeding makes you constantly worry whats going on. I am 47.5

Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
    fancygoldfish
    (female)

fancygoldfish HB User

I am 57 and have been bleeding off and on, mostly on, for five months. I am obese and know that fat has estrogen and that breakthrough bleeding/spotting is from low progesterone, especially in relation to estrogen. I have been using progesterone cream for 2 months, but I don't see any improvement. This is all premenopausal.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
    sandy67
    (female)

sandy67 HB User

Hi Fancygoldfish. I am a large girl too, Since my large 3 week bleed that was stopped I had one cycle after, really really heavy for three days then some spotting for several days. I am know on progesterone too, I am on one that was compounded. I have not had a period yet on it so don,t know how it will affect it (which is my main issue) I before had some minor hot night sweats, minor sore breasts and anovulatory cycles, So far I know I feel I sleep better, but for the rest I think it is still too soon to say, we,ll see what happens. I do hope it makes some sort of a difference because these wonky periods drive me crazy and I hope not to have to have a hysterectomy if possible.

Closed Thread

Tags
    endometrial biopsy, prolonged bleeding