It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• FSH Level of 75 - Now at 5 - Am I still in Perimenopause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
    lcarter14
    (female)

lcarter14 HB User
    FSH Level of 75 - Now at 5 - Am I still in Perimenopause?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone might have an explanation as to what is going on with me. I just turned 50 this past May. In March, 2013 I began experiencing HORRIBLE peri-menopause symptoms which included heart palpitations, extreme dizziness, hot flashes, insomnia and EXTREME ANXIETY (the likes of which I never want to experience again), etc., etc., etc. The list goes on and on. I have been through hell. Back in March, 2013 I had also gone 3 plus months without having a period. I finally decided to see my gyn as the anxiety, in particular, was very bad. I thought I was having a nervous breakdown. My gyn tested my FSH, LH and thyroid. Thyroid was normal but, FSH was 75.4 and LH was 43. Both at a post-menopausal level. My doctor prescribed the Combi-Patch which I used for a couple of months but, my anxiety just kept getting worse and worse so out of desperation I contacted a gyn that specializes in menopause. To make a long story short she has started me on bio-identical estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. I have gradually begun feeling better and better. Just recently I saw her for a follow up and I told her that for the last 3 months I have had a normal period. She decided to run another FSH and thyroid test to see what my levels are now. I did ask her if the HRT I'm taking would alter the results of the FSH test. She said yes that my level would prob drop in to the 30s or 40s but, would never go down to a pre-menopause level of 5. Well, guess what? My FSH level is 5 now. Is that even possible given my age and symptoms? I just got my period for the 4th straight month at close to day 28. I'm feeling pretty good except I still have some anxiety and feel like crying during certain times almost as if I'm still having the roller coaster hormone levels. I can feel great one day and crappy the next. The problem is that I'm really worried about having to go through this hell again as I feel I'm not in perimenopause anymore given my FSH levels. I'm not sure I could survive starting at the beginning again. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Is it that I'm still in perimenopause and my FSH levels are just swinging wildly as I've read they do in peri? I haven't spoken to my doctor yet. I see her in early Sept for a follow up. Thanks for any insight anyone can provide. Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: FSH Level of 75 - Now at 5 - Am I still in Perimenopause?

Are you taking the same med every day or estrogen on some and progesterone on others? I know precious little about bio identicals as I'm on conventional HRT. However, if you are taking the same thing every day - every day of the month - you shouldn't be still having periods after this long.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
    lcarter14
    (female)

lcarter14 HB User

Hi,

THANK YOU for responding. I'm very frightened so I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me.

Yes, I am using the Vivelle Dot patch (2 patches a week - lowest dose) which I change like clockwork and I am on a progesterone pill that I take every night. I have recently stopped the testosterone cream (that also contained a bit more estrogen and progesterone) as my face was breaking out even though I have tested low (on 3 occasions) for testosterone and DHEA. It seems I can't win. I wonder if stopping the test cream will make a difference in whether I get my period this month. Do u know why my FSH level would drop so low? It's my understanding that when u are making enough estrogen that is what keeps the FSH low. Is that correct? I'm using the lowest dose patch. Could it be I don't need it? All I want is to feel like my normal self again and to not have to relive the last 10 months. It has been a living nightmare. I think I could deal with all the physical symptoms if the emotional ones would just S-T-O-P!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for reaching out. It means a lot.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I am really confused. I didn't know Viville was bio-identical. At any rate, I know so little about the bio-identicals and how they are used as well as the two pill method or addition of creams, etc. All that is just way too confusing for me to deal with. I take one pill (Activella) 365 days a year and have never had a period since I went on it 10 years ago. No spotting, nothing except for one time about 3 years in when I had a little pink on the toilet tissue twice in one day. Outside of that, no side effects and no meno symptoms at all. And never had my FSH checked as I haven't needed to.

perhaps someone more familiar with the regimen you are on will respond. Sorry I don't know more about it.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am really confused. I didn't know Viville was bio-identical. At any rate, I know so little about the bio-identicals and how they are used as well as the two pill method or addition of creams, etc. All that is just way too confusing for me to deal with. I take one pill (Activella) 365 days a year and have never had a period since I went on it 10 years ago. No spotting, nothing except for one time about 3 years in when I had a little pink on the toilet tissue twice in one day. Outside of that, no side effects and no meno symptoms at all. And never had my FSH checked as I haven't needed to.

perhaps someone more familiar with the regimen you are on will respond. Sorry I don't know more about it.

Closed Thread