It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• surgery induced menopause - worse for anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
    daisygirl209
    (female)

daisygirl209 HB User
    Question surgery induced menopause - worse for anyone?

hi, i had a total hysterectomy one month ago, and i started having hot flashes about 12 hours after my surgery. they got pretty frequent and intense, but the worst part was the night sweats - waking up several times a night drenched, throwing off the covers, only to then become so chilled i couldn't warm up again. the lack of sleep night after night has been hard. i did a bit of reading and research, and decided to try black licorice extract (in pill form) and acupuncture to try to manage my symptoms. about two weeks into both, my symptoms are less frequent, and i'm getting some sleep every night now. i'm wondering if these symptoms were so dramatic in me because i was abruptly put into menopause by surgery (instead of naturally transitioning). also, has anyone else had luck with black licorice; once this bottle is gone, if i don't feel like it's working well enough, my next plan is to try black cohosh. any input into any of these thoughts is greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
    Ohlucy
    (female)

Ohlucy HB User
    Re: surgery induced menopause - worse for anyone?

Hi there ! Sudden menopause is horrific ! I went through a hysterectomy and oompherectomy 10 years ago and had severe symptoms. It is much harder to go into sudden menopause surgically than the natural way. I had no choice but to go on hrt to have a quality of life. I was only 41 years old. You are very early in your recovery. It took me over a year to bounce back.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, it's usually pretty immediate for most. Surprised your doctor didn't suggest HRT...unless of course there's a medical reason you didn't share.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I am 9 years out from an unwarranted hysterectomy and oophorectomy at age 49. I could not have imagined the ensuing nightmare. But it makes sense now having since learned that surgical menopause is nothing like natural menopause because naturally menopausal women produce hormones from their ovaries into their 80's. These hormones are used by every cell in the body.

I did not try any over-the-counter remedies. I started HRT (estrogen only) about a month post-op when fragmented sleep was pretty much my only symptom besides loss of "zest." But things spiraled down from there (possibly due to the depletion of my body's stored hormones and an inadequate HRT). My emotional and mental symptoms were worse then the physical ones. I did not realize that HRT is not one size fits all. And my surgeon who had been my gyn for 20 years refused to see me so I was left "floundering." I finally found someone who knew something about hormones about 15 months post-op and things improved from there.

Since you are early in recovery, you may develop more symptoms and need to make adjustments. Hope this helps!

Old 03-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
    daisygirl209
    (female)

daisygirl209 HB User
    Wink Re: surgery induced menopause - worse for anyone?

thanks for the input from all. i ended up going back to my surgeon/gyn and getting put on HRT because i felt like i was literally losing my mind, this was about 5 weeks post op. i think the reason why he didn't give me the hormone injection that i've heard women get before they leave the hospital and then put me on HRT is that i had an estrogen-driven problem that caused me to lose my uterus and tubes/ovaries (endometriosis). but he said with HRT it's a "steady stream" of hormones, not the fluctuating estrogen (like you get normally throughout the month), my endometriosis hopefully will not come back and cause the scarring. and IF i do have more symptoms, there is a drug i can go on to "kill" the endometriosis (Lupron). but i'm hoping not to go there. btw, the black licorice never seemed to do much for me. i started black cohosh about a week before the HRT so i have no idea if it helps too but my plan is to stay on it and hopefully in a year or so, wean down the HRT and just stay on the black cohosh. i don't want to be on hormones any longer than i have to. i'm doing the Evamist spray, twice a day, and my flashes are down to maybe 4 a day, and i don't feel insane anymore

Old 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I am glad the Evamist is working for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
    daisygirl209 (03-30-2015)
    Old 03-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
    Ohlucy
    (female)

Ohlucy HB User

Looks like you balanced out quickly. It took me a very long time

Closed Thread

Tags
    alternative therapies, hot flashes, hysterectomy, menopause, night sweats