It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

Please help (Phimosis related, and long)

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
KindlyOldBoon
(male)

KindlyOldBoon HB User
Please help (Phimosis related, and long)

Okay, this is going to be a bit long, but I want to put all the facts here so folk can offer an educated opinion. I'm really at the end of my rope as searching has turned up absolute crap, and this place is my last hope. Plus I figure if I can work in the right keywords, if someone in the future has a similar issue.

Okay, had phimosis since I hit puberty some 25 years ago. It's never caused any issues. I run the shower down there to clean when I shower. It never caused problems in regards to any of the uses of the penis if you see what I mean. It just doesn't retract due to the narrow opening. There's a bit of scar tissue, it was always frustrating, and nothing more.

About a year ago I noticed when my kids were playing and happened to catch me in that area, it was a little sore. I mean it's bad enough when a kid goes bundling headfirst down there, but this was more than just the usual. I dismissed it. My wife is a bit of an expert on the foreskin having done a ton of research due to the fact we have two boys. She told me about guys who stretched and were able to retract. I liked the sound of this, so I started trying it. Had great success with cortizone early on, but then it kinda stalled and went backward, I got disheartened and stopped. One thing to note: I was putting the cream on the INSIDE of the foreskin as well (just in case that may have anything to do with the rest of the story)

Several months ago my glans started itching. Nothing major, but enough to be annoying. So I took an old syringe (minus the needle obviously) and was using that to clean inside the foreskin. Itching stopped, everything was peachy.

Sadly, due to repeated cleaning, I seemed to damage the foreskin in some way, and it started stinging every time I did this. So I thought I'd stop for a day or two. I also started up the stretching exercises again, with the cortizone.

Day after I used the cream my glans was stinging. Never had that before. The feeling was very strange as it felt like being close(ish) to orgasm. I always imagined feeling like that with no work would be fun. I was wrong. Later that evening, I noticed some odd discharge. It looked kinda greenish (to me, I'm colorblind...) and smelt pretty horrible. This freaked me right out so I got the syringe and irrigated the foreskin. That night I tried the cortizone cream again, and had the same reaction. Stinging etc... Same night, same thing again. The weird discharge.

So I've stopped the cream, and am stretching with out (soul destroying as I feel I'm getting nowhere). However, I am still getting this weird discharge.

So I spend hours searching. Top suggestion seemed to be gonnorhea. Most definitely not that. I read about Ballanitis, but again, doesn't seem to be that. Symptoms don't match.

Long story short, aside from this discharge, and a bit of soreness in the foreskin from the stretching, there is nothing else going on. Doesn't hurt to pee. No burning sensation. No pain anywhere down there. Basically every medical condition I manage to find comes up with a list of symptoms, and I have none of them, except this odd discharge.

I did wonder if it was maybe an overproduction of smegma because I've thrown things off by irrigating so often, and was on a course of antibiotics recently. I also read that smegma can look like pus, which I guess it does kinda look like that. Just one difference from the first time though... This has no odor! Seriously, after the first time, I've noticed the discharge since is almost odorless.

My wife also wondered about yeast infection as well, but again, symptoms don't jive with that for the most part. Since it seems some guys wish it would fall off when they have one... I certainly have that. Just this weird discharge.

In short, I'm stuck. I've an appointment at the doctors, but I don't trust them to be quite honest. Plus, obviously, there's the embarassment factor. I don't know my doctors stance on foreskin issues, and sadly he's the only doctor I can see. I'm just concerned about going in blindly and being told "Oh it'll have to come off" or whatever, and being completely unprepared to stand my ground.

I'm basically freaking out and driving my wife completely nuts. I found this board, after many pointless hours searching, so thought I'd post on the chance someone, somewhere, has had something similar and can offer advice, or even just a "Yeah, been there my friend" so I didn't feel so freaked out and isolated.

I've considered irrigating with hydrogen peroxide, see if that helps, but don't know if I should or not.

I am at a complete loss. No medical condition I can find seems to correlate with this. I really want to stretch my way to retraction, and need to the see the doctor to get the right cream I think, though the irritation from the cortizone (I think it was 2.5%, and my first attempts, it never caused this) has me concerned, though the scar tissue is perhaps a bigger concern.

I am just out of my depth, scared and freaking out, and am hoping someone here can offer something... ANYTHING...

Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-06-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Do not attempt to bypass the board censors. That word is not allowed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
X5DRIVER
Inactive
(male)

X5DRIVER HB User
Re: Please help (Phimosis related, and long)

Wow, I feel for you. Living as long as you have with Phimosis must have not been very much fun. The first thing you have to do is see a urologist. Phimosis is a very serious condition and other than the obvious hygiene issues with not being able to retract and clean out under the foreskin, men who have phimosis are more at risk for penis cancer and other diseases.

It sounds like you do have maybe a mild case of balanitis. Even though I would think it wouldn't go away so easy if it were an infection. It could be just a buildup of gunk under the foreskin that is causing problems.

So please seea urologist and get his opinion. Even if he recommends circumcision it has to be better than what you are experiencing now. I am circumcised and I can assure you eveything functions very, very well. Most men who are circumcised as adults are very satisifed with the operation.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
KindlyOldBoon
(male)

KindlyOldBoon HB User

Actually, the phimosis has never effected me in any way. The penis does everything it's supposed to. It has honestly never bothered me at all. I'd rather keep the foreskin as it is than be circed. After 25 years, I figure whatever the current problem with has to be an abberation of some kind, simply because over two decades have passed without incident.

Ballanitis, I did consider, but again, no other symptoms since there seems to at least be swelling associated with that. There's always the diabetes thing, but I last had my blood checked about a year ago, and there was absolutely no indication of anything wrong then, so I consider that very very unlikely.

Doing a lot of reading tonight, and a yeast infection sounds possible. Certain things (recent hardcore antibiotic use etc...) seem to point to that. I have no other symptoms, but of everything I've read, that correlates the most. (Down to the odor as well.) Plus there was the buildup of goo I considered. Putting a foreign substance in any body part messes with the chemical balance, so I wonder if irrigating it has caused it to go a bit nuts. (No pun intended.)

I'll give it a few more days and if it's no better, go see my GP, see if he can do a culture or something.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
tommy124
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

My guess would be a yeast infection, from injecting with the syringe.
I have never heard of anything like the discharge...so I would see the doctor.
If it is a yeast infection, stretching is the wrong thing to do. It will make little breaks in the foreskin, which heal into less elastic scar tissue. Once the doctor determines that there is no yeast, you can start stretching again. Betamethasone is meant to be applied to the outer foreskin, not the inside or the head. A glansie might help, though they cost about $90. Good luck, and please keep us posted to see how it turns out.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
KindlyOldBoon
(male)

KindlyOldBoon HB User

Thanks. Had an apppointment today, but THEY (not me) had to reschedule it for Monday.

Doing even more reading last night, I am even more sure it's a yeast infection.

Now you mention the syringe, yeah, that makes perfect sense actually. *smacks self in forehead* Though I've noticed now that using the syringe now, afterwars the glans itches like MAD for a few minutes. So I'm quitting it anyway. What you said just doubly convinced me.

I've read that, of all things, yogurt can be used to cure yeast infections as they hate the stuff. (Unsweeted and flavored obviously.) So I might try that. Worse that'll happen is absolutely nothing and I can eat the yogurt. (Note: I mean the stuff I've not used.)

Asked what the Glansie was, but went and searched for it and found it. Never knew such a thing existed. Tempting...

And yes, I'll keep posting.

Last edited by KindlyOldBoon; 04-25-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
KindlyOldBoon
(male)

KindlyOldBoon HB User

Well to keep folk updated, I got some yeast infection cream yesterday. While I'm still not 100% sure that's what it is, once I'd figured out how to get it down there without the applicator (use your imagination), I noticed almost immediately, the itching ceased. (Once the pain of manhandling that body part passed anyway). Earlier today, same thing. When I go to bed tonight, I'll do it again.

I plan to do it finally on Saturday night and then Sunday, see where I'm at. If it seems to be no better, I'll leave it for Sunday so it's got a day to clear out for when I see the doctor, in case I am wrong.

All I know is this is the most unpleasant thing I've ever experienced. I read last week how some guys wanted to "chop it off" when they had a yeast infection. I thought "Well I don't feel like that..." That was then... Now I can understand.

More on Monday I guess (unless a miracle cure happens between now and then). I have a male GP, and he's actually gay... I can't decide if, under the circumstances, this is a good or a bad thing for my embarassment level. (I think talking to a doctor is what's freaking me out more than anything else).

Old 05-06-2007, 03:23 AM   #7
KindlyOldBoon
(male)

KindlyOldBoon HB User

I just realised, I never updated this.

Okay, so on Monday I saw the doctor. He took one look at the ooze and said I had an infection. He pondered for a minute, then prescribed antibiotics and some antibiotic cream.

Now the pills, two a day... The cream... Due to the phimosis the only option is to put it on a Q-Tip, then slide it down there, which is excruciating. After doing it for 5 days now, it's not too bad. The infection seems to be gone now, but I'm going to keep doing the cream for a few more days.

It's only now I'm mostly fixed I realise how bad things were down there.

Oh yeah, I also got a steroid prescription (betamethasone) for the stretching. What's kinda cool is with all the cream application etc... I've noticed an improvement already! And that's WITHOUT the steroid cream.

So there you go. It was an infection, and some excruciating cream application 4 times a day (first day I could barely walk afterwards) and I seem to be "fixed".

Old 05-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
tommy124
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

Congratulations. You fixed in four days, what a circumcision would have fixed in six weeks, and all without losing anything. Thanks for sharing the good news.

Closed Thread