It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

Undescended Testicle & Hypogonadism - HELP!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
maseratiguy
(male)

maseratiguy HB User
Undescended Testicle & Hypogonadism - HELP!!

Hello all, I am very glad to have stumbled across this community and was hoping to get some help.

I am a 36 year old male who was born with one (right) undescended testicle which I had surgically corrected when I was approximately 10 years of age.

I believe I exhibit symptoms of hypogonadism and am going to get checked for testosterone. I am going to an anti aging doctor, so he is running the whole gamut of tests (i.e. total, free, estrogen, FSH, LH, GnRH, etc...).

I had a measurement taken 6 months ago and total test was 425 ng/dl. At the time, I was on a small dose of finasteride which I have read can raise serum testosterone by inhibiting it's conversion to DHT. I anticipate a total test reading in the high 300's this time.

At any rate, I am obviously considering testosterone replacement therapy, but I have some questions.

1. If I take a low dose of test (say cyp or enanthate) is that going to disrupt my own supply of test? If I have low test to begin with, is adding exogenous test to the mix only going to worsen the situation? I don't want the smaller one to completely atrophy.

2. Will taking HCG help that situation? I have heard that HCG is good for getting "off a cycle" the way bodybuilders do it, but will taking regular injections of it cause my body to become immune to it?

3. What about fertility? Will exogenous testosterone impair fertility? I had a sperm count done and it came back on the lower end of normal but normal nonetheless. My doctor said I should have no troubles.

4. What about hairloss? I have some male pattern loss now. Can I take propecia to offset what test is doing?

I guess I am really confused. I wonder if taking it would make me healthier/feel better or not.

Additional info: I have a small hydrocoele and varicocoele on the "normal" testicle, elevated choelsterol/triglycerides for which I take Zocor (which I hear test can help if you're low to begin with).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
hayfarmer
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User
Re: Undescended Testicle & Hypogonadism - HELP!!

Your anti aging doc should know all this stuff.

1. Taking exogenous T certainly will disrupt your own supply of T. It is not possible to raise your T above what it is now without shutting down your testicles for the most part. The more you add, the lower you LH will go to offset what you are adding.

2. For you I think HCG is the way to go. You are slightly low but your testicles probably still work. You need to post your LH/FSH. Make sure you take low doses, no more than 500 iu per day. The less you can get away with the better.

3. The exogenous T will likely lower your sperm count further as the testicles shut down. Another reason for HCG if you want to be fertile.

4. Can' answer this one. Not familiar with how that drug works. I would avoid the finasteride though. It can desensitize the T receptors and actually cause your ED issues.

You need to have the varicocoele checked out by a good urologist. I think that can cause primary hypogonadism where the testicle is not working well. Another reason to post you LH/FSH. I'm assuming in all my comments above LH/FSH are low or at least are not high. There are sugical cures for the varicocoele also. Getting your hormones right may help the cholesterol levels. You should also consider adding 1 - 2 T of ground flaxseed to your diet. It is amazing at lowering cholesterol and raising the good cholesterol. You can sprinkle it on ceral or sandwiches, or bake it into other foods, etc...

You should feel better if you get this straightened out. There are also many diseases that can set in if you live with low T for long periods.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
hayfarmer
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User
Re: Undescended Testicle & Hypogonadism - HELP!!

I thought about this more. You need to look into other possible ways to increase your T first. Post more of your lab work. For example it could be that clomid may work for you. Maybe your estrogen is too high and if you bring it down or use clomid your T will go up. You may have hypothyroidsim. There are a number of things to try and things to rule out before you take T or HCG. I will only be back to this board once or twice over the next week if you have more questions.

Last edited by hayfarmer; 05-03-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Closed Thread