It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

Betamethasone and Beyond!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
michaelangelo11
(male)

michaelangelo11 HB User
Betamethasone and Beyond!

Salutations, allies of annonymity!

I'm aware the phimosis problem is a common one on these boards, and I don't wish to bore anyone with this dillema of mine that they've probably heard before, but I'd certainly appreciate any information/insight you good folks would be charitable enough to share. I've always really appreciated the community and empathy of these boards. Forgive the redundancy.

I've had a case of phimosis for some time now (tight foreskin), and having done my research (with these boards as a handy resource), have sought to fix my problem. Stretching worked, but only to an extent. It will retract, but only while flaccid, and the tightness is still quite evident. I'm 22 years old and I've hit a road block.

Today I summoned up the courage to see a doctor. I asked about betamethasone, and he had no apprehension about giving me the prescription. But he also mentioned circumcision. Recommending neither, I appreciated his impartiality to what was ultimately my choice. Now I have Betamethasone 0.1% sitting beside me, but I have developed worries. It's supposed to be used sparingly, and only on the tight area, as to "contain" the desired loosening effect from the rest of the penile area. In addition, he cautioned me that it might take a matter of 4-5 months before I achieve desired results. At which point we'd consider other options if it doesn't work.

As a student that becomes problematic. I go back to school in about three/four months, at which point I'll be tied up in book work for eight months at least, with no time for reprieve. I want to move beyond this phimosis now, because it afflicts my confidence in a perculier yet powerful way. As a result I've been considering circumcision, which is apparently routine, but I'm something of a chicken when it comes to surgery.

My questions are thus:

1) Betamethasone. Has anyone had any experiences with this product? Did it work? And how can one apply it on an area that, by nature, is going to undoubtedly make contact with the glans? I read somewhere, though, that it was becoming a popular response to Phimosis in the UK.
--------------------
2) Circumcision. I'm leaning toward this, as a "once and for all" cure to something that has bothered me for well over a year. I have a few questions about this. How much pain is involved? I'm aware there will be a discomfort and heightened sensitivity, but what about actual pain? I assume anasthesia is used in adult procedures? And what can I expect post-circumcision? Finally, how long would it take (recovery) before I could become sexually active / normal? And how long might I expect to be off from work?

---------------------

If anyone can help me with either of these matters, whether via your own experiences or knowledge, I'd be most appreciative of any insight you could provide. I'm just a fumbling shy guy, trying to make a major decision, and I like knowing all the implications before doing so.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
michaelangelo11
(male)

michaelangelo11 HB User
Re: Betamethasone and Beyond!

I probably made that first post a little convoluted. And the topic is somewhat redundant, I realize.

So I've been using the product for about a week. According to the doctor, he recommended its use for one week out of each month only. I'm assuming this is because it's Betamethasone 0.1% as opposed to 0.05%. I haven't noticed any change, which I suppose is totally natural, considering he told me to check back in four-five months if there was no change. But again, time constraints are there on me, so I want to straighten this out.

Still leaning toward circumcision. But I've got cold feet about the surgery, how much pain will be involved, and if I will still be able to perform sexually afterwards (after a period of about six weeks, according to what I've found). I've heard both good and bad testimonials about that. Regarding the pain I haven't found anything. I've had surgery before, but it was as a child. The only "medical" moment I've had was removing my wisdom tooth last year. The anesthesia ensured I had zero pain during the pulling. But when I was home, and it wore off, the pain was so intense that I wanted to dislocate my own jaw with a hammer.

Is it painfull like that? Or is the pain predominantly a discomfort afterwards, adjusting to the sensitivity and such? Any "surgical" pain? I'm a chicken, I know it. ;(

Any information? Experiences? I'll love you forever. D:

Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
tommy124
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

First, the head is not the only sexually sensitive area on the male. The primary areas are the inner foreskin, and the frenulum, for most men who have a foreskin. Circumcision removes or damages both of them. It turns the head from something internal, protected, and moist, into something external.
Picture your mouth if you left it open forever. The penis head and foreskin are meant to be mucous membrane, like a mouth or a vagina, and not skin, like your arm. Your doctor is taking a more conservative approach, and this is a very good thing. The only things I would question, are that you seem to be looking for the quick fix, not the optimal solution...and everything I've heard about betamethasone says it should be applied to the external foreskin every day.
I would check with the doctor about that. Good luck with it.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
chiku
(male)

chiku HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelangelo11 View Post
I probably made that first post a little convoluted. And the topic is somewhat redundant, I realize.

So I've been using the product for about a week. According to the doctor, he recommended its use for one week out of each month only. I'm assuming this is because it's Betamethasone 0.1% as opposed to 0.05%. I haven't noticed any change, which I suppose is totally natural, considering he told me to check back in four-five months if there was no change. But again, time constraints are there on me, so I want to straighten this out.

Still leaning toward circumcision. But I've got cold feet about the surgery, how much pain will be involved, and if I will still be able to perform sexually afterwards (after a period of about six weeks, according to what I've found). I've heard both good and bad testimonials about that. Regarding the pain I haven't found anything. I've had surgery before, but it was as a child. The only "medical" moment I've had was removing my wisdom tooth last year. The anesthesia ensured I had zero pain during the pulling. But when I was home, and it wore off, the pain was so intense that I wanted to dislocate my own jaw with a hammer.

Is it painfull like that? Or is the pain predominantly a discomfort afterwards, adjusting to the sensitivity and such? Any "surgical" pain? I'm a chicken, I know it. ;(

Any information? Experiences? I'll love you forever. D:
Hello,
I have an identical problem. Although I did find some relief stretching the skin back and forth. My doctor recommended using 1% Hydrocortisone (he never mentioned Betamethsone). Reading this forum, it looks Hydrocortisone does the job slower than betamethasone but is more safer. Also stretching 3-6 times a day and about 3 applications per day helps.

So did you find any relief from this or did you choose circumcision. Also any effects/experiences you have from Betamethasone application. I am thinking next time I see my doctor in a month, I will ask him about it.

Closed Thread