It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

Blood work

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
Jinxy285
(male)

Jinxy285 HB User
Blood work

Hello everyone,

I just got my latest blood work.. Please review and give any advice

DHEA 75 (45-345)
T-4, free 1.1 (.8 - 1.8)
T,Total 464
TSH .94 (.4 - 5.50)
Estradiol 37 (13 - 54)
PSA 1.1
SHBG 11 (8-46)
Hemoglobin 5.5
IGF-1 140 ( 86 - 220)

The T is interesting becuase last time I tested I was at 890, I was supplementing with Horny Goat weed at that time...which I believe raised my natural production...I did not take anything this time prior, except DIM, becuase I wanted true results..

From what I have read before my T:E2 ratio is out of whack... 12.5:1..

should be 20:1 to 50:1..... let see what the Dr thinks...

thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
hayfarmer
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User
Re: Blood work

your total T is only slightly low. Your SHBG is farily low so your free T should be pretty good. But low SHBG can indicate other issues like the beginings of insulin resistance I think among other possible problems. The estradiol is a little high but not ridiculous. It is odd it is as high as it is though with total T where it is. How do you feel right now or when the labs were done?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
Jinxy285
(male)

Jinxy285 HB User

Thanks HayFarmer.... I feel run down all the time. Very tired... bit of brain fog as well....I am concerned about the T:E2 becuase prior to starting TRT my T was 133 and my E2 was 12.... so about a 10:1 ratio... I have many symptoms of high estradiol...large soft nipples, ***** ****, weight that I cannot lose, bloating...also since I started taking 4 DIM per day, I have the feeling of being flushed most of the time..... wierd....

thx..

Last edited by Jinxy285; 06-08-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
curiousleo
(female)

curiousleo HB User

Heyfarmer, when you say that sbgh is low could be insulin resistance what does that mean?

Old 06-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
hayfarmer
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

Jinxy, have your total estrogen checked also. Estradiol is only one estrogen and although a very potent form, you should also check total estrogen to see if it is way too high. Four DIM a day is a really high dose. Try cutting back but trying to take some Resveratrol in addition to DIM. Resveratrol can also lower estrogen and is a powerful antioxidant. It is from grape seeds or skins I think and is what makes red wine so good for you. What form of T replacement are you on? Your T is too low and E2 too high....neither by a lot but the combinations is bad.

Curiousleo, low SHBG can sometimes be an indication of other hormonal problems. The primary one being that you have insulin resistant diabetes I believe or at least are in the beginning stages of it. By low SHBG I mean levels under 15 and especially levels of 10 or 11 or less. I have some information on this I can read if you have a particular interest and can post back more info.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
anyman
(male)

anyman HB User
I'd like to hear more about Insulin resistance and low SHBG

I too have low SHBG and may also have begining insulin resistance despite a generally good diet and exercise.

How can one tell if insulin resistance is an issue? Assuming it is, what can be done? I already eat rather well and exercise regularly. Sounds like a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" kind of problem.

Are there any solutions for low SHBG and insulin resistance or is this another example of "you're screwed"?

Old 06-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
hayfarmer
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

Low SHBG does not necessarily mean you have diabetes or insulin resistance but it is a warning sign. Keep any eye on your blood glucose levels. If they get over 120 or so you may have a problem. 100 - 120 is borderline. Also make sure if you have hypothyroidism you are treating it appropriately. This can also aggravate and even cause insulin resistance if not treated. All these hormones are interelated and what you will begin to realize is when one is off it is probably because multiple others are off and even if not true then one being off will eventually cause the others to be off.

There is probably no real "solution" except to monitor glucose and if you get too high than start eating and treating yourself for diabetes. This may not raise SHBG though but really SHBG helps you if you have low testosterone because it helps to keep your free testosterone higher then it would otherwise be. I only bring up the low SHBG issue because it can mean you have other hormonal problems that need attention.

Last edited by hayfarmer; 06-08-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Jinxy285
(male)

Jinxy285 HB User

Hayfarmer...I am on Androgel... I was previously at 750 T...that was with 8 pumps per day. I am now on 6, but I am going to go back to 8...When I say 4 DIM, I want to mention that is really 200 mg...the DIM I take 100mg = 2 tabs....let me know that you think...I will look for the resivatol... I have heard about this....sounds like a winner....

Old 06-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
Jinxy285
(male)

Jinxy285 HB User

Hayfarmer, In regards to insulin resistance you mentioned... I did a little research and found that cholesterol is also a warning sign. here is what my blood work said..not good.

Triglycerides 258 H (<150)
Chol,Total 153 (125 - 200)
HDL 30 L (>= 40)
LDL 69 (<130)

Let me know what you think...My Diet sucks... eat fast food possibly 6 times a week or more...a lot of carbs.... I am going to look for a diet to help this situation since I am def not wanting to take any more meds if I can help it.....

Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
hayfarmer
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

Just typed a long response and somehow it was lost.

To make it short.....high triglycerides are also a sign of insulin resistance because insulin signals the liver to make more triglycerides. So if you have insulin resisitance and produce too much insulin it can make triglycerides high. Also your HDL is low. The combination is bad for heart disease and strokes.

You may not have diabetes yet though if your blood glucose is ok and you may be able to prevent it. Change your diet. Eat less sugars and carbs. Exercise more. Bring this all up with your doctor. Any doctor should know about this. Especially an endo.

I have the same situation only not quite as bad. My HDL higher and TriGlyc lower. Plus I exercise which helps. But I have to be careful. I suggest jogging or beter yet bicycling. The long term consequences of ignoring this can be pretty bad so do something about it. Exercise is critical in my opinion to prevent or at least prolong getting diabetes. Diet is also very important but I think exercise even trumps diet in this.....just my opinion there.

Edit: I forgot. It is also very important to make sure you do not have hypothyrodiism and if you do you treat it properly. This can lead to insulin resistance. Many doctors do not treat hypothyroidism agressively enough either. Your TSH should be below 3 and T3 and T4 at appropriate levels.

Last edited by hayfarmer; 06-09-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
Jinxy285
(male)

Jinxy285 HB User

Just got an updated blood work fax...

fasting levels;

glucose 93 (65 - 99)
insulin 9 (<17)

DHT 82 ( does not give a range, just that it is high )
PSA 1.1 ( < = 4.0 )

any further thoughts on insulin resistance? Also, how do I lower the DHT? saw palmetto and nettle root???

btw...Hayfarmer..do you still think that 200mg(4 pills) of DIM is too much per day?
thx...

Old 06-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
hayfarmer
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User

If you are using gel you can reduce DHT by rubbing in the gel into as small an area as possible on the skin. Otherwise I'd have to look into it.

Your glucose looks great so you do not have diabetes so far. Was this done while fasting since midnight? If so I"m not sure if the insulin reading is valid or not. I'm really not an expert in insulin resistance but I guess I should be because I may also have it to a mild degree.

I think you're ok on the DIM. A normal dose is 120 mg / day. As long as you don't have side effects like headaches I think you're doing fine. I don't think it will hurt you in any way as long as there are no side effects you can't tolerate.

Closed Thread