It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

Need help and advice regarding hypogonadism

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
Bad Company
(male)

Bad Company HB User
Need help and advice regarding hypogonadism

Ive been seeing an endo about a thyroid nodule and the bloodwork showed low testosterone (twice). The first test was 167, on a scale where the low end was 250. The second test taken early in the morning at a national blood lab showed 269 on a scale for adult males of 350-1030.

Yet with no information as to why its low, or what to expect, she sent me out to get a prescription filled for test enanthate, gave me a shot of 200 mg's (I think) and told me to go do bloodwork exactly 3 1/2 weeks later, and see her in one month. I thought when I went back for the shot Id get more information, but no such luck. I have no idea what's going on.

I did get copies of all my bloodwork figuring to at least go see a second endo, but Im having trouble getting any appointments inside a few weeks.

The tests read as follows (I am a 39 year old male)

Total testosterone 269 (scale 350 - 1030)

% Free testosterone 2.2% (range is 1.5 - 3.2)

Free testosterone 59pg/ml (range 52 - 280)

SHBG 20 nmol/L (reference range 20 -60)

Prolactin serum 8.7ng/ml (the range is 3-18)

FSH serum 4.2 miu/ml (the reference appears to be 1.4 - 18.1

LH is 2.4 miu/ml (the scale apears to be 1.5 - 9.3)

Is there anyone who can give me any insight as to what these numbers represent? Or if they represent a problem larger than just age related low testosterone (ie a pituitary or gonadal problem). Also any advice on what to look out for, or where to go from here.

Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
anyman
(male)

anyman HB User
Re: Need help and advice regarding hypogonadism

Thyroid issues and other health conditions like insulin resistance can totally and utterly screw up your T. Do NOT start taking T until and unless you have fully ID'd and ruled out underlying causes. If you have a thyroid issue and don't correct it other problems will arise, all the while you become irrovocably hooked on TRT. Recall further that Thyroid issues can take some time to straighten out.
Sounds like you need another Dr. Remember, YOU are in control of your health. If something sounds wrong, trust your gut. I beleie you have considerable work and research to do, starting with a certain large search engine. (we apparently can't use any web site names here --***??)

Old 07-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Bad Company
(male)

Bad Company HB User

Thanks Anyman

Ironically enough I didnt get any more information out of her regarding the thyroid than I did the testosterone. When I asked her response was just one thing at a time, and she was more concerned about the testosterone. She's competent just somewhat disorganized seeming and apparently too busy to deign answering questions.When I started asking questions her response was " OK, I have a plan" after which she walked out and went and spoke with the nurse. I was given a precription, told to come back for a test shot, and given an appointment for Aug 1.

Im looking at the ******* order sheet and she does appear to have taken the insulin resistance to heart. IN 3 1/2 weeks shes ordered testosterone, total and free, a metabolic panel (Basic), c-peptide plasma (listed under diabetes) and something called insulin fasting. Also both my parents do have type two diabetes.

But in all sincerity I have had significant underlying symptoms of test deficiency all my life. I didnt even recognize how much until I took this shot. I developed mild gyncecomastia during puberty that never went away. Ive never been able to work out hard, and whenever I tried (even months into a routine) would also get complete muscle fatigue by the end of my second chest. Id do twos ets of chest press for example, and then I couldnt do anything else for chest afterwards. And my fat distribution has always been a little too feminine. Constant fatigue (especially inthe afternoons), joint pain (all of them sometimes),lowered mood, anxiety etc etc etc. Even (and progressively worse) anxiety while driving. To the point where I actively avoid driving in any kind of rain, or over large bridges. Its insane.

Yesterday (a few days after my shot) was the first time I felt normal (if ever). I went to work out and did six sets of chest without ever achieving muscle failure. It was an amazing feeling.

And driving in the rain, something that was a source of unreal stress in the past, didnt register a notice for me. I could drive at normal speedsnot onyl without panic attacks, but with complete calm and normalcy.

If I am insulin resistant, altogether likely given family history and my having put on weight because I believe of the low testosterone, then it hasnt affetced my blood sugar levels yet which are normal.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Bad Company
(male)

Bad Company HB User

Also for anyone to whom the thyroid information might be relevant, its posted on a thread here

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=513851[/url]

As far as I can tell, besides the cysts, everything else seems normal. But I have no way of really telling, although she doesnt appear to have ordered any other tests in the meantime.

Last edited by Bad Company; 07-06-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
JinL
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Your estrogen E2,(estradiol) is probably also too high.
It needs to be tested. An over the counter drug, DIM, will help some guys. If that fails then a prescription drug, Arimidex will breing it down. !/2 tablet of Arimidex 2 or 3 time a week will do it. Arimidex is expensive, about $200 for a 6 month supply.

Ask your doctor about trying loq dose, 500iu 3 times a week, HCG to get the testicles producting more testosterone. HCG is injected with a 30ga 1/2" needle. It increases the LH & FSH hormones to the testicles.

The testosterone injection will cause the testicles to produce even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Company View Post
Also for anyone to whom the thyroid information might be relevant, its posted on a thread here

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=513851[/url]

As far as I can tell, besides the cysts, everything else seems normal. But I have no way of really telling, although she doesnt appear to have ordered any other tests in the meantime.

Closed Thread